Smart Styles / smart styles made my son cry

1 San Antonio, TX, United States Review updated:

I took my son to the Walmart hair salon- smart styles. We waited about 30 mins to be seen. I signed our name and waited to be helped but no one acknowledged our presence. Then the woman who cut my son's hair called him and informed me i had to stay in the waiting area and that i couldnt stand next to where she was cutting my 9 year olds hair. District policy she said. So, i gave her the instructions- and a picture to go by so he could get the hair cut he wanted. His hair was almost shoulder length in back and past his chin in the front. What the picture showed was everything all smoothed out. The hair cut short enough so it was out of his face, but still long. It is a popular style and i assumed she would be able to do this hair cut. I told her to wash his hair. He has bad psoriasis and if you wash it it makes it less painful to comb it and cut it. The plan was to take a messy mop of hair and cut it with a style it so it was more a modern medium length that was stylish.
It took about 30 mins to cut. The entire time she complained to a co worker about some random work drama. She never even acknowledged my son was in the chair. When she was done my son was in tears, and had been apparently crying the entire hair cut. Which i was not aware of cause i couldnt be next to him, and instead had to sit in the waiting area behind the wall. She completely ruined the hair he spent a year growing out. She layered the entire thing. Cutting the front about 2 inches above his eyebrows. The back, which i asked her to keep longer than the picture showed was cut and layered short. Over all she took my sons hair from being like a messy popular cut to peter pan. She never washed his hair as i asked. Thus causing him undue pain while combing it out, which he pointed out to her and she ignored. And before i said anything about the cut she very rudely proclaimed that she got it as close to the picture as she could, which is a joke to say the least. Then she told me he was crying because he obviously didn't want his hair cut at all. And some how insinuated that it was my fault for making him cut his hair short.. which of course wasn't the plan in the beginning at all; he wanted his hair cut but he wanted the style he picked out.
I was so mad. The fact that the woman continued to cut my sons hair as he cried, with out stopping to at least inform me- 15 feet away, that he was upset is heartless and unforgivable. My son could tell she was not doing what he wanted and was very upset but was too afraid by this woman's very negative rude presence to say anything so he sat their and quietly sobbed as she cut away his self confidence. Thats the first part. The second part is that the cut we did get.. the peter pan cut she gave my son is such a bad hair cut that even if it were free, and the style i wanted, i would be very upset. It is uneven, lopsided, and overall a total joke. I don't know how this woman got credentials to cut hair. If i wouldn't know better i would assume she were drunk. The manager simply offered to attempt to fix it. He never even offered my money back and he stood by the policy that removes parents from the child's side while getting a hair cut claiming its for the safety of the employees??? I don't get that at all. Its just a hair cut and my son got over being upset and is trying to embrace his new look, and it was, if anything a teachable moment for me to show him that hair cuts do not define the person inside. We will be going to a different place tomorrow to fix the cut and make it something at least even and stylish. He knows it will grow out again. I didnt cause a scene at the store. I felt that this would only embarrass my already upset son so i called later and talked to the manager to no use. Usually i am understanding of situations of bad service and rarely do i complain. However, their is a point where i feel i need some sort of satisfaction. This woman just ignored my son's tears as she ignorantly did the opposite of what was asked of her.. and she even did that poorly. Honestly.. i want her fired. I am calling the complaint line. I will be contacting the manager to encourage him to take it up with the people that contract the company Smart Styles. I was so disgusted by this woman's demeanor and attitude. Her service was poor. Her ability was limited and she must not have a heart to sit there and chop off a 9 year olds hair whilst he is in tears. And not even tell me that he was upset? I just can not understand that. I dont know how to go about this but i wont stop.

Comments

• Va
      18th of Sep, 2008
    Smart Styles - Terrible experience
    Smart Styles
    smartstyle.com

I went into smart styles in the fern creek wal-mart in Louisville to get my hair done. There is a lady that works there that is always rude and I'll be *** if she was there that day. But, I went a head and signed in because I seen that other girls where there. As I sign in. I was given a dirty look by that rude lady Chris. With out me even stating what I would like done she told me it was going to be a 3 hour wait. This is something She has told me many times before. But as the time before there was no one having there hair fixed That I could see. I asked her why is that. She then gave me a explanation that she was doing a prom wet set hair style. And the girl was under the dryer. I mean I know I'm not a stylist or anything. But, I know a wet set keep un under the dryer for a while. I then became angry that yet again my business was being turn away. And I then ask could the other stylist could do my hair. She then told me they where not doing hair that day. I was very angry and ask for a customer service number. And Told her she was a terrible manger to turn away my business and I would not come back. As I walk away She called me a *** under her breath and I then lost it. I went off on her and walk out of wal marts door and down to the other door to the picture me I work at.

To call Cs. I left a message. And Here walks up a wal mart manger state he want my mangers number because I had threatened the stylist. And in fact I did not. I got in trouble even though I was off the clock and I was a miss treated customer. The wal-mart manager never asked why I was upset. on top of it Cs never call back and she still works there. I did start going to Sam and I love it. I guess she didn't know I spend 100 dollars every time I get my hair done.

I don't work at that wal-mart anymore.

But, I am still very angry.

• St
      20th of Mar, 2009

I hate to say this but I'd never take my child to a walmart salon or a super cuts. Most of the adults working there run away when they see a child is in their line next. They have the "I'm not here to cut some brat's hair" attitude.

I'd look into finding a stylist or even a salon that caters to children. They're there because they LIKE children and they are usually up to date with the newer styles.

The reason why they didn't have you stay over there was because there is limited room in the salon and they didn't want you hovering over the stylist while she worked. There can be some complications while they're working, especially if others are trying to move around behind you. There can be an accident.

• Gw
      2nd of Apr, 2009

I too am a stylist

...and for the above stylist to say that the "LONG HAIR SURFER DOS" are a pain in the booty, WELL SORRY HONEY BUT THATS YOUR LIVELY HOOD AND THATS WHAT PUTS THE FOOD ON YOUR TABLE!

Now to the lady that took her son to get his hair cut...Smartstyle is owned by REGIS and they hire alot of "just out of school people". The manager should have offered to fix the hair cut and give you your money back. If I lived where you are I would fix the hair cut for you if it was going to bring me a new client for a long time.

I hope you had luck in finding someone to fix it.

• As
      3rd of Apr, 2009

First off for jennkelly2012... First off... just a suggestion for your future posts. Learn to type full sentences. I know the english language is hard for someone like you, but really you will come off less ignorant if you use the actual word you... and not the letter U. :)
    Secondly, My son is not dirty, a surfer, or a 'dude'. He is a 9 year old little boy. He also has severe psoriasis and when you wash his hair it makes his scalp softer and causes less pain when stylists pull the hair. If i am paying you for a service, i expect to get what i paid for and i wanted his hair washed. If someone like yourself hates it so much, perhaps you should go in to lap dancing yourself -your demeanor seems better suited for a strip joint than a salon anyhow. Or is demeanor too big of a word for you to understand?

As a mother i should be outraged by the things you said but really all that did was make me feel extremely sad for you. On most message boards that would be considered a 'troll' post so i am not going to take what you said personally, but if you feel that way honestly, and that post wasn't just to get attention or be a troll, then your level of consideration and humanity is pitiful. I am sorry for you.

Just to update the situation and perhaps give a bit more information.. We have used Smart Styles before this incident. Not in the town we live in but rather in a much smaller town back in the midwest. I never had a single problem with them cutting any of my kid's hair. They delt with children great. It was the same size store and i could always stand next to my kids. So i really didnt think anything of it by bringing him to this Smart Styles. I did contact the corporation Regis and talk to a number of people. They refunded my money, and told me they would look in to the situation. Also they told me that they have NO such policy where the parents cant stand next to the children during haircuts, and that must be a management policy of that store, which they did NOT support. I also emailed the situation to the public affairs office of Walmart. I got an email back stating that they were very sorry, but that the were merely contracted with Smart Styles and had no affiliation beyond that and there was nothing they could do for me. But then after a week i got a call from the local store manager apologizing personally. He said that he also made a call to the Regis people. He told me that he understood my situation and empathized. Then informed me the woman had already been let go of, and the policy of parents being by their kids was gone.

We got my son's hair fixed at a Fantastic Sams. He said he is getting used to the short hair, but wants to grow it out again. :) Thanks to anyone that was at all sympathetic of the situation.

ash.

• Br
      2nd of Mar, 2010
    Smart Styles - dirty
    smart styles
    fountain colorado
    Colorado

I stop in to get my hair cut. After setting down to get it cut, I was looking around.The shelfs had dust on them. The glass comb hold at the station I was at. Had no liquid in it to clean the combs. As I got ready to leave the hair dress was using the same comb on the next curtomer as he had used on me.I'm now sure he was using the same comb on all the customers. The place looked very unkept. Will not go there again.

• Us
      25th of Feb, 2012
    Smart Styles - color n cut
    Statesville
    North Carolina

My friend and I went to smart styles thinking we were going to like the outcomes of our hair. I wanted blonde hightlights and a cut. I told her (TWICE) that I only wanted one inch cut from the back and I wanted layers around my face starting from my chin and go down. Ok well my highlights were orange, and she took more than one inch and the layering around my face started at my chin. She saw the orange color but she didnt offer to fix it until I said something and she tried to tell me that is was like that before...yah ok!?!? She put a toner on it to get the orange out but it didnt work and it is still orange. Not to mention that most of the hightlights didnt even start at my roots. My friend wanted blonde highlights as well, her highlights turned out golden brown, they burnt her ear, and her highlights didnt start at the root either. They told my friend that they were going to charge her $38 for color and they charged her more. I will never ever ever go back to smart style but if anyone wants to go and get a crappy job then I highly recommend this place! Worst experience of my life!!!

• Lv
      12th of May, 2012

I've been a customer of Chris's for 4 years & shes always the sweetest. When my mother passed she even sent flowers to the funeral home . That kind of kindness these days is unheard of. My hair always looks amazing. Anyone saying anything differently must have an alternative motive.

• He
      9th of Jun, 2012

very poor service was treated bad was cursed at by manager will never go there again

• Jm
    Smart Styles - Unprofessional and uncomfortable
    Smart Styles
    Greenville
    Mississippi
    Phone: 6623783384

When you go to a beauty salon you expectation are to be welcoming and comfortable. The smart-styles here in my town of Greenville, Ms has some of the most messiest hair dressers. I was in getting a wash and set and a lady walked in with a stripy colored dress on with braids as her hair choice as she approached I knew of her and her past. So the so called professional hair dresser starts talking about said lady that came in just to speak and leave. She asked questions about her and her family and I gave her a total opposite stand of view. I'll never go back to the smart styles in Greenville, Ms because its not comfortable or safe to talk your business in. To the hairdresser speak of your own house and clean your own soul because that lady is nice and she minds her own business.

• Br
      8th of Oct, 2012

Hair salons are a traditional place of gossip. The only real expectation is to get what you paid for - a great cut and style.

• Fo
      8th of Oct, 2012

That is so true about beauty salons. I have a younger sister that used to be a hair stylist, and had her own shop in her house, and waiting area/slash living room, was right next to the actual salon, and when I would be sitting in the living room watching TV or whatever, and another one of my sister's customers were in there waiting her turn, it was constant gossip, including my sister. Whenever I would mention the gossip to my sister she would deny it. You also see the gossip in hair salons in the movies, etc.