smart savings center hotbooks.com / undisclosed membership fee on website

unknownunknown, FL, United States Review updated:
Phone: 800-911-6538
I ordered a book for 2.92 on 10/31/08. The debit showed up on my account on 11/3. Another debit for 1.00 showed up also on the same date; then another debit for $29.95 on 11/10/08. The invoice in the box did not show a price at all. When I called I was told the 29.95 was "membership fee".

The website does not tell you or require to sign up for a membership.
Li

Comments

Ka
  12th of Nov, 2008
The exact thing happened to me this month also. It is a big deal to try to get the membership fee reversed by your credit card company (PayPal) and an even bigger deal to get the scammers (SmartSavingsCenter.com) to cancel your membership. I am still waiting to see if I will get a refund from PayPal for an unauthorized charge. SmartSavingsCenter is on MANY reputable company sites, such as Amazon, Barnes & Noble, Wal Mart, etc. Be very careful when ordering anything online. Read the small print or you too can be scammed.
Ro
  14th of Nov, 2008
Dear Sir: I ordered a computer book which was received. Then I was billed @29.95 for membership and additional $1.00 service fee. I did not agree to anything. The charges have been disputed with citicard.com
Ro
  29th of Nov, 2008
I cant believe it I just looked and my CC shows a charge also for $1.00 on my account.
Li
  3rd of Feb, 2009
This is so true! It happens to me too right now. They haven't even send me the book that I ordered about 5 weeks ago. They just kept charging $1 fee. I cancel the membership long time ago, 6 days after I ordered my book, but until now, they still keep charging the fee. I have to call them again to tell them to stop taking my money from my credit card. But it is very hard to get in touch with them. I think their company is a scam! Beware!
Tr
  16th of Sep, 2009
I Just took the time to figure out what this recurring 12.00 fee was to this company HBS.
It is my fault it went on so long. It was a small charge and I kept thinking I better check this out.
Well when FUNS get REAL LOW...
I don't have the details in front of me as you guys but I was told there was a free 3 day trial of membership somewhere in the purchase agreement and I didn't cancel in the three(3) days.
Yes It was very hard for me to get the info as to how they got me without me confirming some personal info.
I have turned my bank on the fraud.
Lg
  6th of Jun, 2010
CONTACT THE BETTER BUSINESS BUREAU, ATTORNEY GENERAL, CONSUMER AFFAIRS LIKE I DID. THEY STILL REFUSE TO REFUND ME MY 99.00 THEY STOLE FROM ME, SO I MAY BE FORCED TO GO TO THE NEWS AND SMALL CLAIMS COURT... THERE ARE OVER 95 CLAIMS LISTED AGAINST THIS COMPANY WITH THE BETTER BUSINESS BUREAU...
Ru
  6th of Apr, 2011
i bought a book thru them and dont remember seeing any agreement to join a club. they have been taking money out every month. i asked why, they said it was to give me access to items for purchase. you have to be kidding, like i need their help finding something to buy on the internet. total scam, demanded my money back, was told only 2 months could be refunded. i guess thats the scammers policy this year. next year ...who knows? definitly reporting this to bbb, paypal, ebay, credit card co. and all of the many people i do business with online. please pass it on, they will change their name again im sure, but their practices will be the same. its to good of a money scam venue to pass up on. ps- all of the people i spoke with were not americans, everyone spoke with a distinct accent and when i asked where the co. was located i was hung up on. please report these people, at least we can help someone else with them. russ