Smart Savings Center / hidden membership charge

United States Review updated:
4.55
on dec 17, 2008 we signed on to amazon.com to search for and order a dvd. the title was located and an order placed. turns out order was through smartsavinscenter. they charged us for dvd ($14.92 plus $1.00, plus $3.24) i assume for handling and shipping. the dvd arrived as agreed before christmas. today dec 26, 2008 my credit card bill arrived with an additional charge of $29.95. we called and after a long wait (over 15 min) talked to a rep. she said it was for a membership. we told her we did not want a membership and she said we could cancel it but the 29.95 could not be refunded because it was over 7 days. we were never told about this fee on the order form. we want a refund and will file all necessary complaints with bbb and atty generals office etc.
al sanflippo, magnolia, nj 08049 email to:almoose2558@aol.com

Comments

Le
  16th of Oct, 2008

Smart Savings Center - charged more on my debit than ordered amount
smartsavingscenter.com

I purchased a book for about $4 dollars and change. When I checked my bank account there were 2 charges, one for the amount of the book, and a seperate charge for $1.00. No explaination. It wasn't tax, because that was in the first charge. I stumbled onto this complaint blog while trying to look them up again, online. There, I saw many complaints about smart savings center. I will be more careful who I give my banking info to in the future!!
Bi
  6th of Jan, 2009
As noted before... I, too, ordered a book through Smartsavingscenter.com. On my Discover bill, I got the extra $1.00 charge, then the mysterious $29.95 charge. I tried to call, but got into the phone loop. Tried again and got the same results. Then, after the fact, I loged into the website and got the complaint list. This is very unfair and I am hoping Discover can help me. There was no mentions of a "membership fee" that I can recall. This will be my last purchase from this company.
An
  6th of Jan, 2009
Same here. Ordered 2 books through hotbooksale.com. a month ago. One book showed up, the other didnt although it states clearly on their website that the book is available for shipping in 2 days. yeaa right. My cc got charged for the book i received +$1 + $29.95..whaaaat? All the charges where made from smartsavingscenter.com and the $29.95 fee for some kind of monthly membership that i never even sign up for or it was sooo hidden i didnt see. I contacted my bank first, canceled my card, called hotbooksale.com customer service, canceled this invisible membership +requested refund in not so pleasant voice. It worked, refund will be made( so the rep said)within 90 days..wow. I also requested cancellation # that everybody should have in case you have to go through this bs again. I will never.. ever purchase from either of the companies.
An
  17th of Jan, 2009
I also had the same expience with fraudulent charges from SMARTSAVINGSCENTER.COM that was a result of an order placed with HOTBOOKSALE.COM . I had four extra charges in one month and two one dollar charges the next month. after being sent in circles by the automated customer service number on my credit card statement listed for SMARTSAVINGS i finally resigned myself to leaving a voicemail, guess what, the account was full. I immediately called my credit card company fraud department, they have closed my account and are issueing a new card and will credit me back for the charges. I would not have know the origin of this fraud if it was not for this complaint board and caution anyone ordering from HOTBOOKSALES.COM to beware.
Ar
  18th of Jan, 2009
I got scammed through https://www.discountbooksale.com
DISCOUNT BOOKS SALE . COM - i got an email telling me of these hidden fees from smartsavingscenter.com but neglected to read the whole service agreement - will dispute the $29.95 fee with my cc
Ba
  25th of Jan, 2009
I also got scammed by DISCOUNTED BOOK SALE.COM.
After I orderd a book for $ 8.17, I was charged the $29.95
for a membership fee that I did not ask for.
When I CALLED to check why I WAS CHARGED; I was told that
I checked a box accepting the membership terms.

Never checked to accept anything! All I wanted to order a book.
This scams are the perfect examples of why the economy is in
the shape it is in! GREED!!!

SMART SAVINGSCENTER SHOULD BE INVESTAGATED
BY THE ATTORNEY GENERAL'S OFFICE.

Barbara
Ha
  25th of Jan, 2009
Same issues as above. Ripoff site of discountbooksale.com. I supposedly got a cancellation number on the same day as I ordered the book. Considering the comments, I'm thinking that I should probably cancel the credit card. Linda
Gm
  8th of Feb, 2009
I had the same problem. Am I at any risk by just not paying the bill. I gotta call credit card company on Monday.
  14th of Feb, 2009
charge of $ 1.00 Was assessed against my Credit Card I purchaed the secret of roan inish. But I did not agree to Pay a Dollar Fee for What. Remove this Dolloar now by giving me credit on my account which you had no right to do so without my Permission. I want an answer now by the end of the Day or I will report this scam to the Federal Trade Commission.
  14th of Feb, 2009
See my first Text I wrote you.
What is this now.
  14th of Feb, 2009
When is this going to stop refund my $ 1.00 that you illlegally took from my account Now
Ar
  15th of Feb, 2009
I am also trying to get refunded 3, 29.00 charges and 3, 1.00 charges on my credit card after my Daughter bought a 10.00 book online. They are a bunch of crooks and if I find out Amazon has anything to do with it I will never buy anything from them again. I also thought my credit card company tacked it on there for one of there insurances. I cancelled my card and disputed the charges. I got a new card # I called the # on my bill and happened to get some one without good English. I told Him I was not going to pay Him and That He better cancel those charges. I am so glad to see that I wasn't wrong about this. Thank You. arnabors
Ko
  19th of Feb, 2009
I also ordered an old Disney movie - not on a dvd but got the tape for a Christmas present. I thought it was only $4.00 but when I got my Visa bill they not only charged me 4.00, but 29.95 and 1.00! I called them beginning of Jan and told them I did not click on membership. She said I would receive a refund. NOT! I tried calling them and their answering service said to call back after 8pm or before 8am next morning. I called back Jan 29 in the morning and they were to cancel membership. I just received my Visa bill and another $1.00 is there. I just called them again and they said call back in 30 minutes that their computer down. How convenient of them! I will call back and maybe write to Visa even if it is only 1.00 and have them refund me. But that is how this company makes millions. I think I will write to the BBB. I did this years ago and the company refunded me and they went bankrupt because of lying to the public.
Na
  23rd of Feb, 2009
I just noticed a second charge of $1.oo on my charge, also, after purchasing a book for $7.50. My question is, has anyone noticed any MORE charges since then?
Tv
  25th of Feb, 2009
ALWAYS check you bank account DAILY on line if you do any online shopping. As soon as you see anything from "smartsavingscenter.com", call your bank and cancel your debit card immediately. They will reissue you a new one with a new number and you'll receive the new card in about 5 days. This will prevent the $29.95 and $1.00 charges from going thru and no money will be lost if you catch it right away before the amount is actually deducted from your account.
Trust me, it's the only good fix. You can dispute the charges from your bank for 30-90 days and it will still not get refunded back to you if your debit card was used.
Tv
  25th of Feb, 2009
to clarify: you have to your bank account on line and when you see "smartsavingscenter.com", as a "PENDING" debit, then cancel your debit card before the transaction clears your account.
Sy
  1st of Mar, 2009
I too ordered a book for a Christmas gift from hotbooksales.com, , and even though I thought I was being careful by canceling my membership for both hotbooks and smartsavingscenter.com (which I had never actually signed up for) within the 7 days, I still kept getting these 1 dollar charges. I looked at the site and realized that I would be charged 29.95 if I didn't cancel right away, so I thought everything would be fine. It's now March 1st and I've had 4 of these dollar charges, well after I canceled the membership. I called the 1 800 number for smart savings and got the guy to cancel my membership again, and give me the conformation number...I asked him why I was still being charged and he said that after you cancel your membership you are automatically signed up for a 2nd one...what?!?! Ridiculous. So I hope it's settled now and I'll stop getting charged. I can't help with getting money refunded, but I will say make sure you cancel online and on the phone, and I even canceled online a second time. Jerks.
Ma

Don't know
Florida
Phone: 1/800-511-6538
SmartSavingsCenter.com

Unauthorized charges of $169.65 were made to my credit card from 8/28/08 through 2/27/09. I bought a book in Aug. 0f 2008, and when my Visa statement came it showed charges of $19.95 by this company I had never heard of. That charge continued for 4 mo., and then the charges were $29.95 for the next 3 mo. I spoke on the phone and was told my "membership" would be canceled, but only the last charge of $29.95 would be refunded. I received an e-mail today stating that my membership was canceled; however, no CONFIRMATION NUMBER was given. Please help me!
Ne
  31st of Mar, 2009

Smart Savings Center - unauthorized withdrawal from my account
smart savings .com
po box 810365
Boca Raton
Florida

What a total rip off scam company i recently purchased some tools from a web site called best buyer discounts .com in which i did receive the tools i ordered from them no problem saw the statement for this transaction . then just 2 days ago got my next statement from my bank with a $1.00 fee from a company that i never did business with, this was on 3/10/09 then i saw on the same statement another withdrawal fee of $29.95 from the same smart savings center .So i called this company inquiring about this withdrawal, they said that i signed up for a membership and that i did not cancel the membership within 7 days i told them first of all i just ordered from another web site for my tools and that i never signed up for no membership the guy told me that i did i told him that i know that i did not i keep a record of all my transaction, then i told him to cancel my unsuspecting and tricked membership he said he would, also i told him i want back my refund of my money he said he does not have access on his computer to refund me back my money . He then gave me the address of the rip off company and said that i have to notify them in writing so they can review and then refund me back my money .I then decided to call the website that i orderded the tools from and questioned them on smart savings center seems that they are affiliated with each other i told the lady over the phone my predicament she then decided to refund me back my money stating that i would get back my $1.00 first i would see this on my next statement and that the next request was sent for the $29.95 to the refund dept and that i should receive an email within the next 5 to 7 business days i'll wait to see the result