Smart Circle / scam and cheating

1 5272 River Road Suite 102Bethesda, MD, United States Review updated:
Phone: 301-9861037

I am not a pissed off employee, I actually like the company and the people I work with. However, you need to know the truth. They are just sales people and they have to lie to you. First off, they never stop hiring, ever. They will always be hiring because your only way to get promoted to management is through taking people out on interviews and making them join the company.

This is a commission only job, there is no base salary. They call it profit sharing, but it is the same. You make 20 - 40 dollars a lead but if you piss the boss off or if he feels like it you will make 20 a lead with out him telling you until after you are paid. Then he will give you a lame excuse as to why.

For your interview, be prepared to drive all the way to Bethesda, then you will have to follow behind someone in a car to some Home Depot or BJ's 30 minutes or so away. You will walk around the store with them as they pitch people and as there job is to also pitch you. They are not allowed to tell you the pay scale until lunch because they know most people will leave. They make you promise to save your questions for lunch. Then if they like you and have convinced you that you actually can make money in the job, then they make you drive all the way back to Bethesda by your self for a 'test' and another interview. They do not pay for your lunch or gas.

As far as work goes. You come in between 9-930 you are trained how to pitch and different theories you need to learn. You then have a meeting from 10 till 1045. Then you have to drive everyday to a different store far away from the office. You can go as far as Annapolis and Waldorf over 1 hour and 20 minutes away. Then you work until about 7 in the store walking around talking to every person in the store trying to sign them up for free consultations.

Then you have to drive all the way back to the office to turn in your leads and by the time you leave it is almost 830pm. If you are promoted to a leader then it is almost 9 or later because you can't leave until the distributors have left. Then you repeat that 12 hour day for five days then it is mandatory that you work on saturday if you want to get promoted. That is from 10 until 6 pm. That is a 68 hour work week. They Do not pay for you gas.

Did I tell you there is no base pay! If you get no leads, which does happen, you have worked 12 hours for nothing. The most I ever got in a day was 6. Which isn't bad if they pay you the 35 to 40 dollars per lead they are supposed to pay you, however if you piss the boss off or are late or any other reason, they change it to 20 a lead and that is not so great. You won't find out if they have changed it until after you get paid.

You don't have quota's, but they push conversion rate on you. Now conversion rate is when your generated lead actually has a person go out to the home and try tp sell the product. The problem is that they don't have enough people to go out and they don't go to all the appointments for whatever reason they make up. clients will come back to the stores and tell you of the experiences. In the end you should have 100 percent conversion if the sales people would go out like they are supposed to. They don't so you won't.

Setting up the leads. You have to call a call center based in Florida. You use your own cell phone which they do not pay for. Now these people have to qualify the people. They can completely screw up the lead for you. For example, we were told that they can reface metal cabinets to make them wood. Which our designers will do, but if you customer says that to the call center, they will not go out. Why you ask? No good reason, the company does reface the metal cabinets. The call center will tell you they don't but the sales agents will go out and price it and tell you they do reface them.

Now the results are true. You can make it to management. You can open your own store. You will have to lie to everyone you interview. You will have to alway be hiring to stay afloat. You will work long hours and never know if you can pay your bills or not. The choice is yours. If you have integrity and don't feel like risking being broke then I would not recommend taking this job. If you are a criminal or an ex drug dealer and can't get any other job. This is perfect for you. I hope I did not miss anything.

Va

Comments

• Je
      28th of May, 2009

I work for smart circle and everything you said is completly backwards they do pay you a base pay of minimum wage for 40 hours or if your leads that you generate is higher then that base pay you get the commision. However if you suck at the busniess then you will be getting fired after 2 or 3 weeks at base pay because you are just dead weight. Hours are 12:00 to 7:00 and it is 6 days a week so that is about 42 hours not 68 and I know the pay scale did change scence you left but it is actually $54 a lead and I do anywhere from 20 - 30 leads a weeks do the math but we dont get paid on lead but on issued lead which I have a 60% conversion so that is still a great check. Also as far as the the people not going out to interviews being USHS or directly Home Depot your manager should be able to print you out a list of all your leads with the Phone numbers of those people or just keep the info that you got from them when you generated the lead to call them back and ask how it went and usually if it didnt issue they say they cancle but im sure you are just not an entrepreneur and this job isnt for you but dont smite it because it wasnt for you.

• Bi
      28th of May, 2009

So..you enjoy the comapny & people you work with lying to you & treating you like crap??

• Oo
      15th of Jul, 2009

Sounds like a great job for someone with no experience in the work force in a time when skilled and highly trained people are finding it difficult to get work. Burger King is probably safer, but the pay is definitely low. In a position like this a driven and determined person can make good money. 20 plus years ago I sold 8 x 10 portraits made from snapshots (obviously before the technology boom). By getting someone to commit to pay $680 (over years) I earned $68 straight commission. It was a tough job, sucking people into listening to me, convincing them what I had to offer was worth the money, convincing them they could afford the low payments. I didn't particularly like working from 10 am to 8 pm to barely make ends meet, but making minimum wage working retail didn't appeal to me either. After about 6 months I quit, but I had learned a lot about human nature. I had learned to sell myself which came in real handy getting better jobs. Today I credit my time selling those portraits with my career success as much if not more than my college degree.

• Sm
      16th of Sep, 2009

This is probably too late for you but I recently quit working for a Smart Circle (now Community Appreciation, formerly DS-Max or Granton Marketing) satellite office and have begun to do research on the cult mentality/deceptive business practices of the organization. Here is an amazing rundown of the business, written 6 years ago, with little difference between then and now:

The person who wrote it worked with the company for four years, making them a veritable expert. I, on the other hand, only wasted 4 months and only a few thousand dollars. You'll notice I've listed a few different names that they've been known as. I assume it's because they want to avoid postings like this.

• Sh
      17th of Sep, 2009

My experience with this company was pretty similar. I got hired by a company called Global yes they took me on an interview that consisted of going door to door to different businesses and pitching people working at their desks to buy gift certificates. The interviewer did take me to some city that was pretty far out i was new to the state so i don't know exactly where i was lol anyways she did tell me to save my questions till lunch and did pay for my lunch. I went out for a few weeks with the same woman because i didn't have a car at the time and i sat and listened to her give other interviews and realized it is a scam. I did make money but they did cheat me out of most of it and this company is a boiler room growing and creating other boiler rooms. All u have to do to become a team leader is get 5 people under you and you can open up your own office and create a name for the business you branched off. You have to be a real ### whole and a person with no conscience to go far in that business not to mention you have to have your head so far up the bosses ### you can see his bald spot. i got sent out with a male leader after a while on one of their home improvement businesses and got sexually harassed in a residential neighborhood at like 10 at night about 2-3 hours away from home. I played it cool so i wouldn't get left and never went back.

• Sh
      17th of Sep, 2009

this job is commission, no base pay, they call it profit sharing, you work up to if not more than 12 hours a day. when they send you to one of their sams clubs or BJ's or whatever it is hard to keep track of your sales they tell you that sams club sends out the checks weekly and sometimes have you working the location with one or two other people. This is how they cheated me out of my money. When I first worked at sams with 2 other people at the smart circle display/kiosk we sold a lot and had to "share" the profit. The next day they said we would get paid $400 each. I waited for a week and asked for my check it was not even half of that mind you i worked there all week. I asked what happened to the money i was supposed to make they told me the customers brought the products back to the store so we didn't get credit for it. also a couple of weeks later i spoke to one of the people that worked with me that day and he asked me did i get my $400 check for that day and i said no he got kind of quiet and said that's messed up. he said him and the other girl both got their checks for the $400 for that day. They would give me advance payments at times which made them seem cool but every time i was supposed to get my hundreds of dollars check they would take out for the loan of course and give me change. I made enough money just to pay my babysitter and i am a great sales person i pulled the long hours and made the sales but not the money. This place will take advantage of a nice person quickly the smiles and pep talks and flexibility at times gives an illusion they care about their employees. I have to put it out there the ### who scammed me her name is Kayla shes a dick sucking whore who lies cheats and steals and she does with a big ### smile and a mini dress. She is evil beware!!! ###in Theif

• Yi
      15th of Jul, 2010

I currently work for a company in Florida under Smart Circle. It is true that they do not pay salary and it is Comission only... I work with certificates and I have used them myself. Thank God I havent had problems with the certs that I've purchased neither than with my boss. I'm already in Leadership and I'm on my way to get promoted to Assistant Manager (I've only been in the business for 2 months). If you have good people skills, you will progress in the company. You also need to be a great salesperson. I have to agree in the interviewing part... We do say the exact same "pitch" to every interview that comes in to the office. It is almost 12 hrs, but remember that the time that you're in the office is not work time. Also have in mind that you can deduct all your expenses when you do your taxes. I'm making $1, 000 weekely (Just so You know).

• Ia
      15th of Feb, 2012

Not only this, but they will fire you for things that arent your fault to coveir their own ###, and then try to stiff you on the money they owe you. Would not trust this company with a raccoon, and certainly would never do business with them after I have seen how they work.