Skylink / Direct TV installation

1 WA, United States Review updated:

Called to schedule install with Direct TV and they never came. They calimed we were not home when they came. After 5 hours on the phone with direct tv all they could do is cancel the install. Skylink has not reachable number- just an endless machine. This company already took my direct tv box since it was shipped to them before the istall. Direct Tv calims they went out of business and went bakrupt but each time they tried to set up another install the same company name came up. Seems like a scam to me.

Cl

Comments

• Ke
      22nd of Aug, 2008

having the same problem with Skylink as they have now failed to appear on two separate occasions to install DirecTV equipment. time to cancel and go to CABLE!!

terrible timing as this is happening during the Olympics and we're without tv for over 2 weeks now

• Ra
      23rd of Aug, 2008

Same problems here. Twice cancelled. Hours on hold with DirectTV. Disconnected three times with DirecTV while on hold. All SkyLink could say was, "Do you want to reschedule?"

• Ra
      23rd of Aug, 2008

Oh, yeah, SkyLink called the day before, left a message and then put on my DirecTV account that I wasn't at home - the reason why they had to cancel. I'm not sure why a customer has to be home 12 hours before they are scheduled to arrive?

• Wi
      9th of Sep, 2008

Set up an appointment some 3 weeks ago with Directv. Got 3 calls over the weekend to confirm appointment. Took off a day of work to be here and nobody showed up to install the HD dish and receiver. No answer at their phone number, just automation!!
    The Directv rep says that they can't reschedule for a month!!! Directv needs to find a new company to do the installs. Skylink is pathetic! They are definitely giving Directv a BAD name! Cable, here I come!!

• De
      11th of Sep, 2008

same thing here ...home all day...never showed...hours on phone with direct...said i wasnt home...that was a lie...worst company ever dealt with...then got message on cell phone to call and set up install next day..couldnt get them on phone to even tell them i got a message...cancelled order with direct...ordered direct with local company...

31st of Oct, 2008

I have for the past hour let the phone ring and ring, their message loops back to "thank you for calling Skylink" if you do nothing and stay on the line, it loops back to this same message...no one answers their telephone. DirecTV needs to contract out with another provider!!!

• Bi
      29th of Nov, 2008

I agree with all, as a former tech, I was ripped off on my pay, worked excessive hours, and blamed for missed appts that I was never assigned, prob the cause of several missed installs.

11th of Feb, 2009

SAME HERE !!! SKYLINK IS VERY UNPROFESSIONAL AND UNRELIABLE...YOU CAN'T GET A HOLD OF THEM, ALL YOU GET IS RECORDING TELLING YOU TO HOLD. I'VE LEFT TWO MESSAGES TELLING THEM TO CALL ME BACK. OF COURSE THEY STILL HAVEN'T CALLED ME...I've had three appointments now, and still no DIRECTTV... 1st APPOINTMENT... They were 2 1/2 hours late. My appointment was 12:00 to 4:00, they didn't show up until 7:39 pm. I had somthing else I had to do, didn't have time to wait for the install since it was so late. So I rescheduled. 2nd APPOINTMENT... They never called or showed up. I Kept calling DirectTV asking where the installers were at? They said they would have Skyink Call. Never did and instalLers were NO SHOW. SO I HAD TO RESCHEDUE AGAIN FOR A 3RD TIME. 3rd APPOINTMENT...Installers Showed up, it's been raining and muddy outside. The installer said he couldn't take his shoes off and didn't have anything to put on his feet. I have a Brand New House and Brand New Carpet thru-out the house. So since he couldn't take his shoes off which were very muddy, and I coudn't let him walk all thru the house with MUDDY Shoes. They left. THAT'S NOT VERY PROFESSIONAL AT ALL. THEY SHOULD OF HAD SOMTHING TO PUT ON THEIR MUDDY FEET. YOU KNOW...BEEN PREPERED FOR THE SITUATION.? So Now I have a Appointment for Monday between 12:00 and 4:00 Will they show???? DOUBT IT...The only thing DirectTv has done for me is give me a $100 dollar discount and $5.00 off for 6 months. I'VE BEEN A LOYAL CUSTOMER OF DIRECTTV FOR OVER 7 YEARS. Since I moved, it's been a Nightmare trying to get the Satellite and service back going. WISH ME LUCK GETTING DIRECTV.

• Ze
      3rd of Sep, 2009

I know this is an old post, but it came up on google and other people need to know how bad this "company" is. Let me tell you. I just got finished talking for like 4 hours between Direct TV and Skylink... I know when people are lying, and skylink was lying to me. A couple weeks ago we made an appointment to have direct tv installed. Direct tv gave us a 4pm-8pm window because we both work full-time. They said that the installer (skylink) was out of HDTV DVR boxes and so they would send them some so they would have one for an install. We waited today (the day of the install) for a call from the tech. The tech never called but a lady in their office called and asked if we had heard from him. He then finally called us to say he was out of HD DVR boxes. He said he had used the last one on a service call. Long story short... NOBODY from skylink apologized even though they made tons of mistakes, lied to us numerous times, and generally acted like a bunch of ###s. Direct TV profusely apologized and told us "this isn't the way we do business" and gave us a $50 credit on our account... which does technically exist I guess because we still don't have the service.

Skylink said they only have two boxes for 4 installs the next day... I said "well shouldn't we take priority since you didn't have one for us today". It turns out the answer was no because...get this... two of the people were ones they already "rescheduled" on... =O

So I guess the standard practice for skylink is to get boxes to people that have been inconvenienced at least once making sure to inconvenience the first timers. Unfortunately, direct tv has no other installers in my area so I am stuck with this pitiful excuse for a business.

I have dealt with incompetance in my lifetime, but these people take the cake. We are having a child soon and my wife is a HUGE Bears fan... so she wants Sunday Ticket. I told Skylink that if the wife didn't really want Sunday Ticket I wouldn't even have been on the phone with them. The funny thing is, Direct TV really was nice to us, Skylink seemed like they didn't care one way or the other if they made a sale...

If there was any way to get my wife the games she wants on tv I would take it and even pay more to avoid dealing with these low-lifes.

• Ms
      11th of Nov, 2009

I have been waiting patiently for my upgrade system and unfornatley SKYLINK has provided me the same terrible service that you all have experienced, as well, and customers in the future are yet to face. The phone they used to call me only leads me back to calling DirectTV. I am tired of hearing the same old line, "Someone will be with you or call you within 20 minutes." Who do you think is at fault SYKLINK or DIRECTV?? This make me not wanting to utilize anyone of the twos service...

• Uh
      8th of Dec, 2009

have u ever done this kind of work there is more than meets the eye everyone wants it done now well in the real world that cant happen and remember the gear and apointments are done by dtv 2 techs lets over book them get the facts befor you talk about something you dont understand

• Sk
      9th of Dec, 2009

as a current tech for skylink, I agree, they suck! I have been ripped off on my pay every week for almost 3 years. Nick Huffman(hurricane, wv) is very unprofessional and very crooked. Tim Johnson, along with the rest of the crooks try to get the techs to do work for free, such as polemounts and running new phonelines. Tim Johnson brags about how he was the main man who brought cable tv to florida. He is such a joke around the warehouse. Skylink's routing dept. doesn't know how to route a tech so that he or she can get all the jobs done at a timely manner. Some days I will get 5-7 jobs scheduled between 8-12. This is impossibe, considering these jobs can take up to 4 hrs. each without drive time. I know of ways that skylink is ripping off the irs but for some reason they are not getting investigated. Does anyone know of a union for satellite installers? Remember, a happy installer makes a happy customer.

• Sk
      9th of Dec, 2009

The owners name and number is john a. larbus (419)348-3311
    warehouse manager in hurricane, wv is nick huffman (304)751-6977 (call for local complaints)

• Wa
      22nd of Dec, 2009

Yes, My name is Walter McDaniels I am a stuard for the Low Voltage Installers Union of North East America we are trying to establish in West Virginia and Ohio.
    we cover phone, cable and satellite. I think I can help you. my email address is
    walter.mcdaniels@yahoo.com
    get in contact with me and we can talk

• Qu
      26th of Jan, 2010

Here's the deal...I agree with some of this and disagree with some. You ###s that want to bad-mouth everybody need to take a minute away from your precious tv and read a damn book, then you may have better spelling and grammer. I'd say half of the people on this site probablly don't even work...the other half probably has some money and high profile jobs, so you think your ### doesn't stink and everybiody owes you something. All of you get off your high horses and try to walk a mile in one of these tech's shoes. NO ONE on here would last a week doing what these guys do. NO ONE! Now, that's not to say I agree with everything that Skylink does. There are things that could change...but that's not up to me to decide. Some of the things being said on here falls on Directv, not Skylink. Just because Directv is a multi-billion dollar company doesn't mean they are always right and Skylink being a smaller company doesn't mean they're always wrong. So anybody that thinks they can change the world and do better...bring your ### down to Skylink and get a job. Now I am sorry for the customers that get the piss-poor tech...and yes there are some. But the way you guys are just belittling everything about the company is pitiful. I bet everyone on here has had a bad day, week, or something involving their job or school. There are some damn good techs that work for Skylink, but unfortunately, we can't all get them. So quit whining. If you don't want the premium television you get with Directv...then take your dumb ### to Dish or cable and enjoy the ### they give you, or as I said before, read a book, or play with your kids, or something. There's a reason Directv is the #1 television service provider in the country. You people are just a drop in the bucket.

• Br
      11th of May, 2010

Hello there Skylinkhater, I am not sure where you were when I was working at Skylink, but I did try to bring the CWA (Communications Workers of America) Union in at Skylink. Personally, I'm not a big fan of unions, but this company was so crooked, the union would have been the lesser of the two evils. I ended up fired in December without cause. I had never been written up, suspended or had any disciplinary actions against me. As a matter of fact, that worm Ken Cooper (Field Operations Manager of Skylink) once told me I had the highest responder rate in the whole company (Receivers hooked to phone lines). I towed the line and tried to play by their rules and gave them everything they asked for out of the technicians. What made me mad though, was how I very thoroughly and carefully did my jobs and could still loose $200 in some weeks on QC's and the charge backs for Service in 60's that they could prove to me occurred. I asked for proof every time, at least a visual of the new work order, but I never got to see any such thing. Of course I am going to wonder about my money and rather or not the company is being honest with me. That is why I busted my [censor] to bring a union in and many employees were too scared to get on the band wagon.

I have something new now. It is called a class action lawsuit. If you feel you were wronged by Skylink, feel free to e-mail me at scibax@aol.com and I can tell you how to get in contact with a lawyer I have working on the lawsuit now. Since Skylink does not want to play by the rules and operate like a decent and honest company, this is the only recourse employees (former and current) have.

Brion Davis

• Iw
      7th of Jul, 2010

Actually Brion Davis, you were fired after an almost physical altercation with a field manager.

You shouldn't tell lies.

30th of Aug, 2010

I am still currently waiting on an installation guy to appear... I have had the appointment set for days, put my afternoon on hold and the guy was a no show. I called the company and they told me he was not answering his phone... Then they called 5 minutes later and asked me if he was here... When I told them no they said they would call me back and then...nothing. I called Direct TV who told me all they can do is reschedule and that at this time at night nobody is in the office. This is insane!

• Za
      22nd of Jan, 2011

To all of you who keep saying, "I called SkyLink..."
    Do you have a phone number for these people? I called DirectTV, but they do not have any contact information. I even google searched the company and I get nothing. One of their installers stole some equipment and antique tools worth over a thousand dollars. I have a technician ID, but no name and no contact number for SkyLink. Any help?

• Ad
      2nd of Feb, 2011

Wow. I see these are older complaints, but obviously nothing has improved. I've waited nearly 4wks for my install. I'm now currently 2 days past my install date while both Direct TV and Skylink are telling me their computers show the tech is "on-site". Direct TV customer reps are nice, but not very helpful because the installs are handled by Skylink. I asked Direct Tv about possibly getting a different local contractor, they have no one else in my area. I understand the techs are ridiculously over worked and the over scheduling is not their fault. My install has been rescheduled for next week, so I'll refrain from commenting more until either a) I talk to them again, b) my install is actually complete or c) I get fed up and cancel. So far, it has been a horrible experience and far to much hassle just for tv.

@ZanderCam7; This is the toll-free number they left on my voicemail after I filed a complaint with Direct TV. 866-466-2225. The gentleman who called and the female rep I spoke with both have heavy accents. I'm guessing it's a foreign call center. They were the ones who rescheduled me, aside from that they were not helpful. The "local" number that I've called is 419-422-4203. The messages loops every few seconds with the option to either leave a message or continue to hold for a rep. Hours say 7am-8pm Eastern Time, but at 11am today they are closed???? Yesterday I did talk to a person and managed to at least get a tech to call me, even though he was a no-show.
    Just an FYI because of the above commenter: I do read, quite a bit actually. I play with my kids. I also have a crap paying job that gets no thanks. I'm all for the little guys and know full well what big companies are all about. I chose Direct TV for a reason over having Warner or Dish and I absolutely have no problem taking my hard-earned money elsewhere if my issues aren't resolved.