Skolrood Law Firm PC / Employment harassment

Skolrood Law Firm PC
3752 Colonnade Drive, Suite 225
Phone: (540) 989-0500
I was employed here for a few years. My supervisor was constantly on me about every move I made. I had to sign in and out to go to the bathroom. No one took breaks. One day my supervisor demanded that I e-mail the office manager everytime I got up from my desk and everytime I sat back down (including to go to the bathroom) and signed in and out on paper. No one else in the office had to do that. ( I responded that I would not do that because I was being singled out and no one else was required to do that (I felt as if she consistently harassed me about everything). The next morning I went to work and was fired. I feel as if I was singled out and harassed and that because I stood up against it, I was promptly fired. It had been obvious to me for a long time that this supervisor was favored. I told the owner about the harassment many times but nothing was ever done to stop it. ( I have a back condition and the day before I was fired I e-mailed my supervisor and told her that I would get a note from my doctor stating that I needed a break because sitting made it worse and I copied the e-mail to the owner.) I had told them about this condition many times and that I had to walk around every so often. I feel as if I was unfairly and unjustly terminated.

N  13th of Aug, 2009 by
If that is how you were treated, you are MUCH better off without them. I can't imagine being productive in an environment like that.

Did you happen to write down when you reported the harrassment, and how nothing was done? If not, you probably don't have a legal ground to stand on, unfortunately. Did you copy your bathroom sign in/out sheets? That would have been excellent evidence how they were singling you out (i.e. no other sign ins on the list).

I would think that the other employees would get really upset if they got emails saying "I'm away from my desk, " or "I'm back now" throughout the day. I know I certainly would.

US Labor Laws are required to give persons breaks throughout the day. If there is a posted or documented procedure at the company that says you aren't allowed breaks, then there might be a case there.

You may have to take a long hard look at your own behavior, and determine if you were taking extensive breaks throughout the day, more than anyone else.

But sometimes a bad person gets into a supervisory role and personality conflicts abound. Sometimes a firm allows terrible treatment of its employees. You are better off finding another job where you can be treated like a human. But put that back issue on the table at the beginning, so the company can be sure to accommodate you. If you are indeed a dedicated and productive employee, a special chair, break times, and such should be no issue at all for a good employer.

Good luck. Hope your back is better soon.