Skagen Watch / poor quality & customer service

United States Review updated:

I used to be a Skagen fan. 3 days ago, I bought another Skagen watch. When I tried to put it on for the first time at home, it accidentally dropped to the floor, something not uncommon as it was difficult to hold onto the ends of the band with the weight of the watch on the other side. To my surprise, the surface of the watch immediately cracked:

1). I have owned a lot of watches and dropped each of them mulitple times in the past. None never cracked on the surface.

2). There was no mentioning by the sales clerk in the store nor in the Skagen manual that this particular model is made of a fragile material. If it is fragile, there should be a warning statement. To my ignorance, I never knew that the outer surface of a watch could be made of a fragile material. I consider myself a regular consumer. If I did not know, how about others?! Are we supposed to try to think of ways 24/7 to protect our watch from being damaged?!

3). How could a watch, which is something that stays with you all day, which can easily be hit, which sees wear and tear, to be made of a brittle material?! Isn't it also a safety concern?

I called Skagen and spoke with two representatives who were supposed to be the designated people to handle consumer complaints. I would like to complain about the fragility of the watch and understand what could be done. The repair cost plus shipping quoted by them is 1/2 cost of the watch because they said breakage of crystal was not covered! A hefty bill to be paid. As for the customer service, it was one of the most unprofessional treatments that I have ever experienced. Instead of patiently listening to the customer and trying to alleviate the situation, they at times spoke louder than you, they cut you off, they made comments such as, "Our manual did say it's made of crystal (which is not entirely true. There was only general statements for all of their different watches on the manual, no specifics to the particular watch I bought); "You have basically made a mistake and not taking your own responsibility! (repeated at least 3 times on the phone)"; "It's like you hit your own car to the wall."; "We do not have any other similar complaints. Yours the only one."

Even if they insist on their policy of not covering breakage, there are many other professional ways to more appropriately deal with their customers rather than being so rude. They can easily lose their customers and form a bad reputation of the company with incompetent customer service representatives.

I sincerely hope their owners: Mr. Henrik and Mrs. Charlotte Jorst listen to their customers, improve on the quality of their product as well as put better efforts in their customer service quality. Afterall, they still offer very unique and outstanding watch designs on the market. At the moment, they have just lost another customer.

Ar

Comments

• Ca
      1st of Aug, 2010

I am also having a problem with a Skagen watch with a fragile crystal. Before this watch, I have never broken a watch crystal. I've replaced the crystal twice at a cost that exceeded the price I paid for the watch. It recently cracked again, though this time it may have been my fault.

I agree that a watch crystal shouldn't break that easily. have already I haven't contacted the company yet, but the person who posted a similar complaint should know that s/he is NOT the only person who has had this problem with a fragile watch crystal.

1st of Oct, 2018

@Carol A. S. I Completely agree with both of you! I recently purchased a Skagen watch that slipped off my wrist twice (possibly a clasp defect?). The first time it hit the floor and the crystal broke! The second time it slipped off my wrist but I caught it before it hit the floor. I just sent Skagen a second internet message. I am waiting to see what type of response I get from their Customer Service. I did not receive ANY type of paperwork, warranty, certification etc. as I did with my beautiful Longines watch (which was written and verbal). I have always wanted a beautiful Skagen watch. Now I have one with a broken crystal and possibly a defective clasp. Now after reading these two helpful reviews, I am concerned that Skagen will not respond or if they do it will take a long time and end up being costly to me. I am more than ready to submit yet another review of praise or complaint. Hopefully the former. Thank you both (and all) for taking the time to write out your reviews and warnings for I did not know what to expect! At this time, I am discouraged...we'll see!

20th of Aug, 2010

I am sorry you are having such difficulty. I love my watch but I can not find out where to send the warranty to, do you happen to have an address to send this to?

• Pj
      26th of Jun, 2011

I have also had a Skagen watch with a crystal shatter. Likewise with no support, the watch was a few years old so I didn't bother getting it repaired. It was my second - and last - Skagen watch. The first became useless when the bracelet pins kept falling out - after ordering replacement parts that were costly, it broke in another spot a few weeks later. It looks like they have great designs but shoddy parts and workmanship.

18th of May, 2012

Skagen watches are the biggest POS watches I have ever used. Not only did the watch stop moving TWO WEEKS after I bought it, it took skagen 2 MONTHS and 6 days to get the watch back to me, and IT'S STILL BROKEN!!! They fixed the movement issue but now the day of the week, date and military time mini dials no longer work!!! I paid $400 for this watch and it was the worst investment I've ever made!!!

• Wi
      24th of Jun, 2012

I completely agree with the above comments. Skagen is better at design than substance. My Skagen is 16 months old, and today I found that the numbers are falling off the face of the watch. I called up Skagen (Australia) and found myself talking to the distributor who curtly told me that my only recourse was to send it to their service agent. She also inferred that this problem could be the result of my `misuse' of the watch. Surely at the very least, a watch should be robust enough to be put on one's wrist and then taken off! Given the relatively low cost of the watch when it was purchased, it hardly seems worth the effort and the cost of packaging and posting it interstate to be repaired. Then I would have to factor in the cost of the repairs. Consequently, I am very disappointed that my Skagen watch will probably end up in landfill sooner rather than later, as I have lost confidence in the brand even though I still like the design.

1st of Oct, 2018

@Wilkinson C Hello C Wilkinson! Thank you for taking the time to write your review. My Skagen watch purchased around Sept. 8, 2018 fell off my wrist within a few hours after it was purchased! Possibly a poor or defective clasp? It's a beautiful watch design. I have recently written 2 internet requests to Skagen. We'll see how long it takes to hear back and how courteous they are. After reading all these reviews now, I am concerned about Skagen's rude customer service and their policies. I was not give ANY paperwork of certification, warranty, or manual. I purchased it at a duty free shop, I believe at the Tel Aviv airport. The salesperson was so uninterested in customers and or making sales. It is now no surprise to me that I wasn't given any paperwork. I had to catch a flight (that he in his uncaring way was making me late for). We'll see how the might Skagen responds and if they make ANY effort at all to care for a new customer and repairing or replacing this new watch of mine. Thank you so much for taking the time to write your review so all of us can become aware!

25th of Nov, 2012

I am the owner of atleast 3 Skagen watches and i was a fan of it until yesterday
    I bought a watch this weekend and when i brought home and took the security seal, its not working. Next morning i call up the store (Skagen Mall Outlet - Not any other 3rd Party Reseller) They mention that I have to bring it in. I mention that I am around 60 Miles away and ask them if can be looked at anywhere else ? They say it is not possible.
    I drive all the way (60 miles to the mall) and they look at the watch and open it up, Replace the battery - and it seems to work. They say that the battery might have been defective.
    It seems very apparent the quality of watches has been dwindling and the QA checks doesnt seem to be there anymore.
    The store replaced the battery, but i refused to accept the watch. They nonchalantly took the returns and I am waiting for the refunds. No Apologies/rain-checks.
    I guess I have bought my last Skagen Watch

• Wa
      28th of Nov, 2012

I too have a shattered Skagen watch which fell about a foot onto the bench after the clasp failed while I was the the bathroom sink. I then cut myself on the shattered glass. very dissapointed. the repair price is actually quite reasonable at their official website here, although im not sure what to do if you are outside the US as i am.

2nd of Apr, 2013

I purchased Skagen ladies watch with white ceramic strap, for my wife in Sept. 2012. We've discovered there's a kink in the bracelet - two links are stuck at about 90'. I've contacted Skagen who say the bracelet isn't covered by their warranty, that I should send the watch to them (UK, Milton Keynes) and they will decide if there's a charge. ABSOLUTELY appalling. I've reminded them about 'fit for purpose', 'reasonable life expectancy of all components', 'merchantable quality', 'as described' but Dom Cameron at Skagen believes it's ok for a Skagen watch - promoted as a high quality watch, to have a major component fail at about 7 months - having been worn perhaps 10 times (it's worn 'as best' by my wife).

4th of May, 2013

I've had the same experience with dropping the beautiful Ladies' White Dial Rose Gold Plated Nude Strap Watch--and then finding that the cost of a new crystal, because the Rose Gold is part of the crystal--would cost as much as I paid for the watch in Duty Free in a U.S. airport.

• Ga
      25th of Jun, 2013

I've had my second and last Skagen watch. First watch, the glass(crystal) cracked; I did not hit it or bang it on anything. My assumption was a gain in altitude, I travel from 4, 300 feet to 7, 500 feet daily for work and this hadn't been an issue until this day(1 year before break). I paid the price to get it fixed, roughly 1/2 the price of a new watch. Within a week of receiving my new glass on my watch, it scuffed. Then again, within two months the glass was almost non-transparent due to minor scuffs. Then the crown broke off. I can't adjust time nor date now. So for my birthday this past January, my wife buys me a new one. Four months later, the glass cracks again. I again have no recollection of hitting or bumping it on anything. And this time my new job doesn't involve me heading up to the mountains. So Skagen watches are garbage and a waste of money, Seiko has been a solid watch for me in the past.

• 92
      10th of Aug, 2013

I bought a Skagen for my husband's 30th birthday gift in June. What he liked about it was the light weight feel. It was disappointing when we went to get the links taken out and he couldn't get a perfect fit because the links are too large. Within one month, he looked down at his wrist at work and the glass was broken. He did not do anything unusual from day to day office work. He now reverted back to his previous watch (Not Skagen) which he's had for nearly 6 years and has traveled around the world with him three times without any issues until we can find him a "new" watch again, this time a quality watch. After reading these reviews, I'm not going to bother with getting it fixed. I checked the warranty. Since they do not cover anything in their warranty, we'll never buy Skagen again. My husband is considering stopping by the store on his next business trip to London, but I think it's just a waste of his time.

• A1
      26th of Sep, 2013

I bought my Skagen titanium watch while on holiday in Hawaii a few weeks ago. The crystal glass is cracked right round the edge.
    I saw it yesterday and have no recollection of bumping it. this is the first time I have ever had e watch break. I'm so disapointed in how fragile the watch is. Perhaps there was tension in the crystal? Where can I get it fixed in Sydney Australia?

• Bo
      16th of Oct, 2013

I fully agree with the comments regarding fragility of Skagen watch glass. In my case the clasp was not secure enough and the watch slipped from my wrist onto wooden floor - several cracks appeared on the edge of the glass. I dropped my 20 year old Seiko several time onto tilled bathroom floor and nothing happened. I would not recommend this watch to anyone.

3rd of Nov, 2013
    Best Best Advice

I have a Skagen titanium tank style watch that has been running strong for 14 years The matte finish leather band gave it up years ago. It has since outlived one more high quality strap, a Hirsch croc grain black leather, and now resides on a Morellato genuine sharkskin with deployant clasp. I paid 115.00USD in 1999 for this watch and it has never had the movement serviced once. I recently had a watchmaker re-brush the titanium case, as it had some scuffs from regular wear, for 30.00USD. He removed the back, stem and movement. He did suggest I replace the case back gasket to keep it watertight, so I did The watch looks as new again. I've never had any issue with the crystal, and I've dropped it a few times, once on a ceramic tile floor, and bumped this watch more than a few times and it still runs like a champ.

Now for those of you not really familiar with these watches, They are not really a 'high end' watch, nor are they even from Denmark. The name Skagen is derived from a small fishiing village in Denmark. They are of Asian manufacture. Henrik and Charlotte had the first Skagens manufactured by Comtech, a Danish clock maker in their Hong Kong facility. They have a wonderful design that makes them look very expensive, but in esssence a 120-400 dollar watch is really an entry level to mid grade level watch.

Skagen watches are powered by Miyota movements. Miyota is owned by Citizen Watch Group. These movements are made in Japan and Malaysia in various complications, i.e., date, day-date, chronograph, etc. They are a non jeweled movement, but they are a very good, reliable quartz movement used by many watch manufacturers, including Citizen, Sector, Fossil, Geneve, etc. These movements are very cost efficient, allowing companies to focus on design and use titanium and solid stainless steel construction for cases and bands.

Part of Skagen's good looks is also part of it's flaw. Skagens are a very thin watch. This means the crystal has to be thin. Skagens employ a mineral glass crystal. In thicker watches this is fine, most everday watches from 50 bucks up uses mineral glass. It is slightly scratch resistant and shock resistant, BUT it will scratch and it can break, especially in a thin watch where it has be milled to a thinner spec, reducing its thickness and surface hardness. There is Hardlex, a Seiko design, which is a tempered mineral glass which resists scratches and bumps better and can be milled to thinner spec while retaining better beak resistance. And then there is sapphire. Sapphire crystals are a man made sapphire. Sapphire is second only to the diamond in hardness. It is highly scratch resistant and break resistant, and is preferred in thin watch design. Unfortunately, it is also expensive.

If you purchase a Skagen, know this very important fact. They offer a limited lifetime warranty, BUT, it does not cover battery, glass, the crystal(glass face), straps, bracelets and other embellishments(cz bezels, cz jeweled dials, the crown). This pretty much leaves the case and the movement. A poor warranty all the way around. Why? Because they have had so many issues with breakage of the crystal. So buyer beware. I got lucky. I got a great Skagen that hasn't given me any issues thoughout its life. It runs strong, keeps excellent time, and at 115.00USD, was an oustanding value for only having to replace batteries, a couple of straps and a case back seal.

As of 2012 Skagen is now part of the Fossil Watch Group.

1st of Oct, 2018

@SkagenSam Thank you for your detailed description of Skagen watches, crystals, warranties, etc! Very helpful! Unfortunately, I believe my brand new ladies Skagen rose gold watch fell off within hours of purchase! The crystal cracked! I brought it to a watch repair person in Greece who fixed it quickly and easily. This past Sat. evening, it fell off my wrist again for no apparent reason. I have sent 2 email messages to Skagen. I am really curious as to the response I will receive, how quickly they respond, and how they will rectify this issue/s! I wasn't given ANY paperwork, warranty (written or verbal), certification whatsoever! I've had my black mother of pearl Longines watch for about 20 years (with written and verbal warranty and certifications) and have NEVER had an issue. We'll see if Skagen truly cares about their customers and their products. Thank you again!

7th of Nov, 2013

Also be aware that Skagen uses Swiss movements in some models. Understand these are not true Swiss made movements. They are often Ronda Swiss movements. They are usually 4 to five jewel movements. they are Swiss parts movements, with the parts being Swiss, but assembled in Asia. They may be an ETA movement(better) I had a Wittnauer with a Ronda Swiss movement. Not as accurate as an ETA Swiss, but sometimes you get lucky, I have an ETA 7 jewel in my Wenger Chrono I paid 175.00USD for and a Sam's club plastic packed Wenger Sport I paid 49.00USD for with all Stainless steel case and an ETA single jewel in it. So you never know, lol.

10th of Nov, 2013

The problem with my Skagen watch was not the same as most of the ones on this web-site but it was the SAME as one of them, which was one of the numbers falling off. It was out of warranty but surely the numbers are not meant to fall off? Surely this means the watch is not fit for purpose?? And Skagen UK were not prepared to fix or replace it. I would have been happy with a repair. But all they did was refer me to a web-site and offered me a discount on a new watch but then when I looked at the site the watches were at full price!
    Disappointed Skagen owner

22nd of Nov, 2013

Just sent my Skagen mens watch in for yet another battery. Third battery has run out in less than three years, so I am not overly impressed

• Pe
      4th of Dec, 2013

Our experience is 3 new crystals in the 2 year life of a Skagen watch. The most recent one, less than 4 weeks old, cracked when my husband was sitting still and quietly watching tv. He heard a crack, looked at his watch and Voila, it has cracked again. Shame on you Skagen, a lovely looking watch that is not fit or purpose

1st of Oct, 2018

@Perscotta YES! Shame on you Skagen! You can and should do better!!

• Cr
      30th of Dec, 2013

My Skagen watch stops every few days, I have a new battery installed at the jewelers store. When the watch stops I have to lay it on a flat surface for about 5 to 10 minutes and then it starts working again. I have 3 Skagens watches and love it but a little disappointed with this one. Any help or advise would be much appreciated.

• Ra
      15th of May, 2014

Skagen was bought by Fossil and now will not replace leather straps. You have to pay $45 and send them to some place in Texas for 6 weeks. So not only will I no longer buy a Skagen watch, I will also NEVER buy anything Fossil.

28th of May, 2014

My wife gave me a Skagen watch for my birthday in February 2014. I like the watch because it is slim and clear to read ( Model SKW 6024 about £140. But it does not keep good time and gains almost two minutes a month. I have a Sekonda which cost less than £20 which only gains 14 seconds per month, good enough for work. I find it odd that in all the reviews I have read nobody mentions accuracy ? Nor for that matter do Skagen.

2nd of Jul, 2014

Yep. Bought my Skagen steel and mineral crystal watch less than 3 months ago and the crystal face has cracked. Didn't drop it, bang it or anything, was just wearing it and noticed the crack, which goes right across the face. I was going to try sending it back but after reading these comments I'm now thinking I might have wasted my £100 and am not keen on wasting more getting it fixed if it's likely to happen again. How can a company claiming to produce "technical perfection" be happy with this level of craftsmanship? Very disappointed.

• Mu
      11th of Jul, 2014

I am another dissatisfied Skagen owner. I liked the design so much I bought two of them 3 months ago. For both watches the glass has cracked while I have been flying on an aeroplane. In both cases I boarded the flight with the watch being fine, and on arrival found the glass face to be cracked, without any dropping or bumping the watch at all. So judging by what others are saying these watches have deep design flaws.

14th of Jul, 2014

Rubbish watches, hour markers fell off and crystal cracked for no apparent reason, Cheap and nasty production. I would not buy one again!!!

• Ks
      17th of Jul, 2014

Glass cracked (by itself) on new watch, Skagen representative was rude and requested half the price of the watch to replace the glass, and 6 months! Disgusting. Never again.

• Wh
      21st of Jul, 2014

I got a new Skagen watch for Christmas and love the thin design. However on a vacation last month in the mountains of New Mexico I heard a noise, looked at my wrist and discovered the crystal had cracked in a perfect circle. After reading these comments I'm not going to replace it with a Skagen. Too bad, it is a good looking watch.

• Am
      27th of Jul, 2014

I have had three Skagen watches, all of them had problems with the crystal. The first two cracked, the one I recently bought, the crystal is actually sliding off the face of the watch. It is amazing that the company continues to make this inferior product year after year. With this most recent problem, I need to mail the watch to them, and if the cost is under $100 it will be repaired. However, I will not be informed as to the cost of the repair, in essence I might wind up paying more for the repair than the actual cost of the watch.I have learned my lesson finally. Although I love the look and feel of these watches, I will not be throwing my money away on another.I also intend to get in touch with Consumer Reports regarding this product. Perhaps people on this site should do the same.

1st of Oct, 2018

@AMD, I am in COMPLETE agreement with you, Consumer Reports should be notified! I just bought a ladies rose gold watch around Sept. 8th-last month. It has slipped off my wrist twice! The first time was within a few hours of purchase! The crystal cracked. Then this past Sat. evening, it slipped off my wrist again for no apparent reason. Fortunately, I caught it before it hit the floor. I've written to Skagen twice now via internet. We'll see how the mighty Skagen responds! Thank you for your comments and insight!

2nd of Aug, 2014

I bought a Skagen watch in New York on 21 April 2014 and my crystal has cracked. I have not hit the watch against anything and in fact as it is winter here in Perth Western Australia, I am wearing long sleeves and the face has been protected because of this. I have never had this happen before with any of the watches i have owned over the last 47 years. I love the design of the watch but from all the comments on this blog, it is only a pretty face with no strength behind it. Is it worth my while trying to get something done about this? I have tried to go to the Fossil site but it is under repair. I am bitterly disappointed that I only got 4 months out of the watch basically.

• Da
      17th of Aug, 2014

My wife bought me a Skagen watch for our anniversary. I liked the watch because of its sleek 40/50/ wrap design. I only got 2 months of use from the watch because of the pins in the band going to the case kept backing out. I had an authorized dealer repair pair it a couple of times. The engineering of the watch is poor quality. I agree with other complaints that Skagen sells themselves as a high end watch but in reality they are not. I will not be purchasing another Skagen watch.

22nd of Aug, 2014

Don't even bother buying a Skagen watch.
    My experience with this company:
    I've sent my watch for a simple strap exchange on 15 May 2014.
    Today is 22 August 2014(3 months and 17 days later) and I still haven't received my watch back.
    The shop in Stratford, London where I've left my watch has only incompetents employees.
    They've sent my watch for strap exchange somewhere in Europe and when it came back the strap it wasn't attached.
    They've decided to send it back as they can not fit a simple strap to the watch in their shop.
    If this is the case then why sent the watch and the strap separate if they knew that the shop employees do not know how to fit a strap???Either way 3 months and 17 days for a strap exchange... Imagine if something goes wrong with the watch mechanism...

22nd of Aug, 2014

Sorry, I 've meant 05 May 2014.

26th of Nov, 2014

My Skagen fell off my wrist at 10mths old & the face cracked in a circle. The repair was quoted @ $156.00. I loved that watch, it was a Christmas present so I ordered another one the same today. After reading these comments I will be cancelling it.

• Pa
      22nd of Jan, 2015

my parents recently bought me a skagen watch, the strap went bad and we returned it to were we bought it, to be told there is nothing they can do and i must pay them a further £60, i am absolutely furious and will never purchase anything skagen again

26th of Jan, 2015

I understand that since Fossil purchased Skagen, the crystal issues have been resolved and the customer service quality has improved very significantly.

26th of Jan, 2015

Skagen has a company store in the Times Square area of Manhattan.

28th of Jan, 2015

Where do you send your watch for repairs. I was given a number 1800 818 853 which I phoned however when the operator gave the
    list of options to pick from I chose 1 after that the operator just kept on repeating the list of options, none of them would put me through to a customer service operator. Very poor. Am going to try again tomorrow. "Not happy Jan!"
    Marilyn Richardson

• Sy
      3rd of Feb, 2015

My wife gave me a Skagen watch as a gift. One day I looked down and the crystal had a big crack running across the face. I have no idea how it happened. I didn't even drop this watch. I have had a lot of watches and this is the first one where the crystal cracked. Based on all the complaints, Skagen clearly uses inferior crystals for their watches. I won't be getting another one.

• Bd
      8th of Feb, 2015

Bought a Skagen watch for my wife white ceramic with little crystals set around the Bezel
    After a week 2 of the crystals had fallen out., after a year 27 have fallen out.
    This is very strange I thought so I breark out magnifier and Preston tools, with barey a touch ie about 200 grams pressure the crystal and glue detach from the metal surrounding the bezel so basically anything that makes contact will remove crystals including rubbing a hand over the top of the watch.
    Quality item? Don't think so !!!
    After reading these comments I'm not even going to bother with speaking to any agent or the company, don't need the agro I will just remove all crystals and it can be a work watch.
    If it keeps running.

• Ba
      3rd of Mar, 2015

The crystal on my watch cracked while sitting in class. Really disappointed. My family has several Grenen watches that have been super durable. I took it up a notch and bought a Skagen. Big mistake. I will never buy a Skagen again.

22nd of Mar, 2015

I have had two Skagen watches and both have been huge disappointment. The most recent was a Christmas present from my husband - after wearing it for 2 months I dropped it but it didn't crack so I thought it was perfectly fine. Then a couple of days later I discovered a fine crack that has expanded in the heat so that the whole watch face is cracked. My previous Skagen watch was a wedding gift from my husband. After a year of wear one of the stainless steel links in the mesh frayed and gave me nasty scratches when I wore it. When I wrote to the Fossil customer service about my Christmas watch I discovered it will cost $154.00 to repair (almost as much as the purchase price). When I advised them they have researched online and seen that other customers have had the same problems with their watches their reply was" Dropping your watch can incur issues like glass cracking as you would be aware and cannot be considered a manufacturing fault.The issues you mention with glass via the Internet is due to a pressure crack and this is a manufacturing fault which is always addressed. We understand your disappointment but as this is not a warranty issue we are unable to assist you further with a warranty claim." I understand they are right about the warranty but as the crack didn't appear for a few days I now wonder whether it actually is a manufacturing fault. Needless to say I shall never purchase a Skagen watch again and would not recommend their low quality watches to anyone.