Sixt - Car Rental / do not deliver what they promise

Netherlands Review updated:

We booked this car on the 10th of March, well in advance of our arrival date, requesting an automatic car for the period of the 17th of May to the 12th of June.
After that, I even called the Sixt service center ( I had to try several times, as it is near impossible to get on the line with Sixt), to confirm this would be an automatic car. They confirmed that to me verbally, as it seems that Sixt refuses to read their emails. ( - I sent several emails, with not a SINGLE response).

After arriving in Amsterdam, and going to their office at Amsterdam Central Station, I am t old there is no car available for me. The staff was EXTREMELY rude, and was not helpful at all. They made us wait outside in the rain, checking for another car. They then sent me to their other office at a place called Overtoom, and from there we got sent to Schiphol airport. They then go ahead, and offer me a smart car, which has a seating capacity of two. When booking the car, we clearly saw on the website that the seating capacity of the car was 4 people. When I mentioned that, their staff seemed to be intent on verbally abusing us in German. I mentioned then that we are two people, and have two pieces of luggage, and the counter person actually went ahead an told me that is not her problem, and if i wanted to, I could put one bag on the passenger seat, and make multiple trips. We were planning a holiday to France... so that made a lot of sense.

In the end, I had to go and rent a car at another company, as after talking with Sixt for not even five minutes, they then decided to ignore me and work with other customers, ignoring my requests.

After all of this, I have been trying to get in touch with their customer service centers, to help us get a refund on the amount we spent, and so far have not gotten any response, or I have been put on hold for 30-40 minutes on end. The only response I got was that they said I did not show up to pick up the car, even though I travelled around to 3 different sixt rental places, as they instructed me

Avoid Sixt like the plague, and pay that little bit extra for EuropCar or Hertz. It is worth it.

Comments

•   Aug 02, 2011

Hi Ash2Dust,

Please accept my sincerest apologies for the inconvenience we have caused you. Your comments are of course completely justified. I would like to share your feedback with my colleagues to find out why we got things so wrong and would therefore appreciate it if you could forward the details to gary.[protected]@sixt.com I look forward to hearing from you.

Gary Coughlan - Customer Service Manager Sixt U.K.