Sixt / car rental

Ireland Review updated:

I will never, ever use Sixt or affiliate Murray's ever again for a car rental. BE WARNED ...AVOID Sixt. I booked them through AutoEurope and they added on additional charges more than double my initial booking price. They told AutoEurope they refunded me some of the money, yet I still have not seen it reflected on my account.

If you are booking a car in Europe from the United States... DO NOT use Sixt or Murray's. They will take advantage of you big time!! I met other American's at the Dublin airport who also had the same problems as me. STAT AWAY from Sixt and Murray's. I just used them for the first time in June of 2009 and will NEVER, EVER use them again.

Hopefully I can save someone hassles. Do not be fooled with the voucher they send you. They will charge you pick-up fees, drop fees, outrageous insurance premiums etc. AVOID THEM LIKE THE PLAGUE!!!

Ge

Comments

• Ba
      Sep 09, 2009

I have used Murrays for years and never had any problems with them . Collection and delivery charges are normal and is made very clear in all contracts .
    I think some Ex employees are putting up complants
    Barry

Sep 09, 2009

No Complaints

Oct 07, 2009

if you had read the terms and conditions on your autoeurope voucher you would see that these extra charges are part of the autoeurope contract. if you are booking a car in ireland make sure you take the insurance as there are very few credit cards if any that will cover you.
    martyp

Mar 15, 2010

I would really advise someone just to use someone else. I have only heard nightmares about them. Really, do not risk this company having a negative impact on your vacation. My experience was horrible. Use a reputable firm and you will be happy.

Mar 15, 2010

Warning! Whoever is stating it is probably ex-employee's posting complaints regarding sixt probably works for them!! I live in the United States... I don't think we even have sixt here. If they were here they would be out of business in a heartbeat because their service is absolutely appalling!!

I highly recommend you use someone else!!

Mar 15, 2010

Oh yeah, for the record, I would never work for an organization such as sixt. I would not be able to live with myself. I could never greet people getting off a plane and sock them with unfair charges as they begin their vacation!! I would not be able to sleep at night!!

For the record, I picked up my car at Dublin Airport in Ireland. I advise everyone I come across who is travelling to Ireland to use someone else. I also see complaints for them online in other countries as well. I also compained to Auto-Europe and advised them of all teh complaints I see online. Feel free to use Auto-Europe, just not sixt. Other people who were at the counter when I was there had issues also. Not a nice way to start a vacation.

• Dr
      Apr 15, 2010

I have many problems with them while living and renting IN Ireland. They use your credit card like a ping pong ball and you can see transactions happing after months for the charges which never occured.

Apr 15, 2010

All car rental firms add extra`s afterwards . All on contract that you sign .. people do not seem to understand this ... Rental prices in Ireland are expensive due to a number of reasons . the advertised price per day is normaly doubled with extra`s . Like low cost airlines .. Why are people moaning just for the sake of it . Just read the contract !!!

Apr 15, 2011

Do not ever rent a car from SIXT. It is a nightmare to be their customer !!

Apr 16, 2011

It always astounds me how few people read a contract before they sign it. Are these the same people that get screwed by Nigerian generals looking to transfer their money. I work for a car rental company in Ireland (not Sixt) and the majority of pricing complaints are because people see a price online but fail to read the small print on either the rental contract or on the website of the booking agency. Just because most cars are rented in the States with zero liability does not mean that the same happens everywhere else. The insurance situation in Ireland is quite simple. If you rent a car most of the time you have a liability of approx 1 or 2 thousand depending on car class. To waive this liability you must purchase insurance at time of pick up. If you purchase insurance with your travel agent you are still liable to the rental company for any damages incurred. This will then be reimbursed to you by your travel agent or insurance company. As long as people do not read the terms and conditions at time of booking or at time of pick up they will continue to be in for a shock when they come to pay for the car. As long as fine print is in use then people who are too lazy or stupid to read it will pay more than they thought they were going to and deservedly so...

Aug 27, 2011

Sixt is a complete ripoff. I rented a Sixt Car in Morocco and got a car which was three years old with 100.000 kilometres on the clock. It looked like it hadn't been cleaned since the day it was bought inside. Had to clean it all before I could drive it. Washed it outside and the water came in through the roof soaking all of the seats. Water came in through the windows. Seals were broken everywhere. Inside of the car was in a terrible state. How can an international company rent a vehicle like that and charge so much. This was the first and the last time that I will rent with Sixt. Payed 450 euros in Morocco for this car. They gave me a GPS and didn't even give me an invoice for it. The GPS changed voice every 100 kilometres. Sixt is not a serious company and I intend to take the matter further with the European Consumers Council. Don't book with Sixt. Use a SERIOUS company like Hertz or AVIS. They only cost about 30 Euros more for a week.

Aug 27, 2011

By the way who is going to take 1 hour to try to read the small print of the contract. Everything should be explained in advance instead of taking advantage of the clients.

Aug 28, 2011

Referring back to my post of 133 days ago about fine print. If you go through your life with that attitude towards it be prepared to be taken advantage of. The fine print on any contract usually contains the most important points of that contract. I have seen the contracts that are issued by all the major rental companies that operate in Dublin airport and none of them take any longer than 5 minutes to read. I dont know about Morrocco but in Ireland financial constraints have meant that rental companies are keeping their cars for longer than they used to hence you are more likely to recieve an older vehicle. If your car was that dirty at time of pick up why did you not just ask them to clean it properly? You may not have realised but the European consumers council ( a body that I cant say I have ever heard of) would probably have no jurasdiction in an African country.

• Jj
      Oct 27, 2011

i have recently hired a car with sixt in dublin airport, and i must say that staff where amazing, i had 2 small children and bags they brought car straight to me, rather than me taking a shuttle bus to the car park, a staff member helped me with my bags to the car also while helping with my children making them laugh. i booked directly to sixt.ie and i read terms and condition before i confirmed booking, price was unbeatable and no hidden charges as it stated all in terms and conditions, unless you want extras such as full insurance to reduce your liablity, gps, childseats etc, i had booked 2 childseats and the girl only charged me for one childseat at the desk and also i got a free upgrade to a fab brand new deisel ford focus, i only booked small fiesta size. i come to ireland 2-3 times a year, and i will only be using sixt.ie from now on. best customer service ive experienced in an long long time world wide.

•   Nov 08, 2011

Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions regarding a past rental or need any help arranging vehicle hire. I am the Customer Service Manager for Sixt rent a car in the U.K, my contact details are gary.[protected]@sixt.com or 00 44 1246 506177 if you prefer to speak directly to me. We'd love that every rental went without a hiccup but we are realists and we know that from time to time there is a problem but I am here and I will be happy to help you and for you to help me improve our service.

Gary Coughlan

• Mo
      Jan 11, 2013

I have recently rented a car from your company, my pick up location was Geneva, France exit.
    Let me start by saying the car I have gotten was clean and roomy enough for a sub compact category however the tires were a different story. The car was equipped with summer tires in the winter season, at the time when we made the reservation we were not informed of such and we thought with the proper tires we should be able to get around fine so we turn down the option of snow chains to the tires and putting a vehicle on the road like this is an accident waiting to happen. By the 10th which was a Thursday, it had started snowing and it merely accumulated a few inches of snow and my car was stuck on our way back to the apartment we were staying in, it took us over an hour trying to drive the car to the side of road where it was safe to park the car. On Friday morning my husband made a couple of phone calls to your reservation center seeking for help and it was nothing but being pushed around from customer service to roadside assistance. Roadside assistance refuse to help because they said my car being stuck in the snow its not the same as a break down so there was nothing they can do and I need to drive my car back to Geneva Airport to change out my car, and they clearly did not listen nor did they understand the definition of the word “stuck” . I decided to call the reservation center again wanting to speak to a Supervisor and soon I was speaking to Jessie the Supervisor from the Basel Reservation Department, she was not polite nor helpful, throughout the phone call she kept telling me to keep quiet with her limited English, she kept telling me on the phone that I was angry, I explained that I was not angry I was annoyed and nervous. She also claimed it was not the company’s responsibility to have all season tires on the car even its winter, snowing season. The only thing she offered was to put snow chains on the tires at the location where the car was stuck in and it would cost me €694, which I thought was absurd amount of money, so she gave me no solution and made me feel helpless. And the audacity of your employees both from the reservation department as well as the road side assistance service department telling us to drive back to Geneva Airport after informing them numerous times the car we have is not equipped for the dangerous road conditions. I had also filled a customer comment form online via their company website and the response I got was the branch manger, general manger and the supervisor were all involved " but unfortunately, this ( the car ) was not up to your expectations and we are unable to offer any other solution in your specific case. I found that the company renting out vehicles that are inadequate to road conditions, negligent to consumer safety.

Mar 10, 2013

Booked a car through argushire who are brokers for sixt. have literally sent an email a day for the past 8 days to resolve an issue regarding a baby seat and have had no response whatsoever. Argus are happy to take the money up front and then you are dust, sixt have been non existent and it is simply shameful the lack of response. Any ideas who to contact regarding this, can't find a customer service manager...

Aug 27, 2013

Rented from them at Tampa Airport. This company is a Rip-off, they are Rude, Unprofessional, and they will run your bill up HUNDREDS od DOLLARS on your credit card, for a minor scratch or any blemish. If you see them appear on your bill after getting a cheep rate from Hotwire or those other company's, EAT the bill and go to a reputable company. This is a THIRD WORLD COMPANY!!

• Si
      Jun 22, 2014

NEVER, EVER HIRE/RENT FROM SIXT! When I went to pick up the car at Malaga airport I told the agent that I had already purchased collision damage waiver insurance through the booking agent, rentalcars.com. The agent lied to me and said that the insurance I purchased through rentalcars.com was not valid. In addition, the agent added glass and tire insurance, which I did not ask for. Since I had a very early flight, I did purchase the petrol refill, which was exorbitant! When I next looked at my email there was a message from rentalcars.com warning me NOT to purchase insurance from Sixt because it was not necessary-the rentalcars.com insurance covered everything! When I complained the company did not offer any refund or compensation of any kind. Since then I have read numerous reviews from others that have had the same experience, or worse. Their business model is based on defrauding their customers. Sixt is the absolute WORST rental car/car hire experience I have EVER had!

• Pa
      Aug 10, 2014

I do not work for the company and never have but I was given false info about my rental in PR. I do believe the employees are misrepresenting what you need and don't need when you drive in Puerto Rico and they must be getting commissions because they go out of there way to to sell you thaw fact that you need to get the product or you will not be able to travel in the island. Be aware PR is part of the US the money is the same and your insurance is valid in the country as long as you have full coverage in one of states in the USA .i was unable to go anywhere else and they knew it so I had no choice but to do what the lady told me.

• Eb
      Jul 01, 2015

I can tell you that I am not an ex employee of Sixt. However their business practices are appalling. Three days after driving a Vauxhall Insignia 150 miles in Ireland, the clutch went out. Sixt agreed to replace the vehicle albeit not in the time frame promised. They gave us another 6 speed which we had for a week with no problems. Three weeks after coming back to CA I get a charge for 3329.75 euros because Sixt attributes the failure to driver error. They do don't know what driver. Me or the 50 previous renters but they are holding me responsible. I've had manual transmissions for 50 years and presently have a 2006 Subaru 5 speed with 85000 miles with no clutch problems. For them to arbitrarily accuse me of this is ludicrous. In the mean time an internet search turned up quite a few clutch problems for that make and model before 50000 miles. My bank is refuting the charge and autoeurope is questioning their motives. STAY AWAY FROM THIS COMPANY !!!

• Ri
      Dec 11, 2015

They advertise some really good specials, but when I tried to reserve a car the price more then triple for the exact car, when I asked for the special that I was looking at and other specials on the internet page I was told they have no knowledge of those deals and therefore cannot honor them.Then I was told to reserve the vehicle at the price I was being quoted and call back for specials later and I might be able to find a deal then and I could always cancel at no charge. I said I wanted to reserve a car now and wanted one of the specials I was looking at and was told they couldn't help me. WTF kind of customer service and false advertising is this. I'm sure it's not legal!!

• Sp
      Feb 19, 2016

I agree never use SIXT. I've just returned from Northern Ireland £2000 worse off because of the unpleasant treatment by Sixt U.K. Hard sell on purchasing their "excess reduction insurance". Told them I already had a policy, was told it wasn't worth the paper it was written on- if only I'd bothered to google! Told me that "if we find anything on the car and you've gone for the largest excess, you won't see a penny of it back" to which I replied, well I would surely if the repair cost less? They laughed and said- "no-one ever sees a penny of that again as it gets sent away for assessment then somewhere else for repair and you get charged for everyday of lost business!"
    I was asked to sign to agree to the large excess, and without realising I was also signing to say the car was in perfect condition. They hadn't even told me which car I was getting- as they swapped it from the one I'd booked! They never once mentioned anything about the condition of the car or asked me to check, just merrily handed the keys over in the dark, and what do you know- I returned it in the light and they found a 1cm scuff to the hubcap and 2cm scuff to the Wing mirror! So they've kept £1200! Add to that, the fact that the car was back on the forecourt and was offered to my brother for rental the very next day. Waiting to hear if I get any money back. Seeking legal advice and as I worked for police, discussing it with fraud team too. Please for your sake avoid this company at Belfast international.

• Sd
      Aug 20, 2016

BOTTOM LINE - rent from Enterprise. They actually cost less (for a bigger car) AND they do not have the "must have current license for 5 years" policy.

STORY:
    Car was reserved for pickup @ Dublin airport via Ryanair services 30 days before travel to Ireland. 4 days prior to arrival, reviewed the reservation. Sixt contract states one must have driver's license for 5 years in order to rent. I questioned (via email and FaceBook) clarification: must I have had a driver's license for at least 5 years, or is it that I need to have my current, valid driver's license for 5 years.

The reason I needed to know was because I moved to a new state this year - and changed my driver's license to the new state (as required by law). The new license, therefore, had an issue date of 2016.

I received NO response from the email - and although their FaceBook page states they will respond within a few hours, it was 16 hours before I got a response. While the responder was not rude, she was not helpful, either. She merely stated that they will NOT rent to me, even though I've driven for over 44 years and have both my current state's license as well as the one from my previous residence. THAT IT IS A REQUIREMENT BY THE COUNTRY OF IRELAND.

Now, this does not make sense to me. If this is truly their policy, then most Americans would not be able to rent from them. So I checked Avis & Budget - THEIR policy stated 1 year (unfortunately, that wouldn't help me).

SO - I called the only Sixt phone number I could find (reservations in Ft. Lauderdale). The young lady confirmed the policy, but said it actually depends on the branch manager, whom she would call for me. THEN not only did she put me back into the queue (instead of on hold, which is what she did when she checked the policy), Sixt disconnected me.

At this point I was more stressed than I had been when I was the caretaker for BOTH my parents (one who was up during the day, the other at night - both falling on a regular basis).

My daughter (who is in the UK and has rented cars) suggested Enterprise - so I called them. THEY were wonderful!