Singtelthe process of termination of mio tv

Dear sir

I am writing to you regarding the termination process of my mio tv. My name is chng kai jin, nric s1144994h.

I am migrating to singtel optic wifi service from my mio home ([protected]).

As I had a singtel mio bundle, but have never watched singtel tv, I was advised by the singtel contractor at bishan to sign up the optic fibre service, and decided to cancel the mio tv in the bundle.

As this tv cancellation could only be made at a singtel centre, I went to singtel comcentre at somerset road today at 3.00pm. This was when I witnessed the vast difference in customer service between the comcentre and the bishan contractor.

At bishan, after checking on singtel rates, I was advised that since I have lost the set-top box, there would be a payment of over $100 if I cancelled mio tv, which I was willing to pay.

However, at the comcenre today, the executive handling my account ms yumi chng told me that the payment would be $300. I told her I was told it was just over $100. Upon checking with her supervisor, she brought me to the counter dealing with lost set-top boxes, which unfortunately could not find any rate for payment of lost boxes.

The executive at the counter told ms yumi chng to call singtel hotline, which after the usual long verification process also could not quote the payment for lost boxes.

At this point, I showed my frustration, why should settling an account at singet hq be so troublesome? Yumi chng apologized and brought me back to the counter and miraculously a payment amount of $112.15 surfaced. I was given the printed bill, and hastily dismissed.

I have omitted some of the repetitive to and fro in this unpleasant process which took in total 40 mins. This is unproductive and reflects on the lack of co-ordination and productivity of singtel staff.

Yumi chng apologized again, that she was new, which I can understand and empathize with. What is wanting in this is the way she is pushed around by her supervisor, the counter staff and singtel hotline service, just trying to do her job. This is typical of the worst in civil service, and I got to witness it first hand over 40 minutes. And all the while, I was a customer who was only trying to cancel the tv subscription.

This incident got me thinking that with all the technological advances at singtel, customer service has unfortunately not kept pace. It contrasts starkly with the smaller bishan contractor who was interested in my needs, and was able to provide good advice, even accessing the correct singtel rates, for which the comcentre staff and hotline could not.

It would serve singtel and its customers to engage more similar contractors and allow them to deal with customers on more issues, and to reduce the bureaucratic contagion in its hq. As an industry leader on its own turf, it is inexcusable that it is not able to provide basic services smoothly in its hq.

Sincerely, chng kai jin, email [protected]@me. com

Ch