Singtel / terrible customer service at retail store

Hello,

I am writing because of an unfortunate and bad experience this morning (31/1/18) at your retail shop at HarbourFront center, 1 HarbourFront Walk. I was the first customer when the store opened at 11am, after having waited for about 20 minutes for the store to open so that I could be seen early and return to work on time in the afternoon. I met with Mr. Lim Chin Wan once the store opened. I told him I was there to discuss options for renewing my contract for another two years and to see what sort of options were available for that which also included buying a new iPhone through Singtel. He asked me for my ID, which I did not have on me as I left it at home (I took time off of work this morning because I wanted to discuss contract and phone options in person, but I left my ID at home). I told him I could give him my NRIC number or my passport number, which I have memorized, but he said he needed my actual physical ID. I had a picture ID but not one with my NRIC or passport number on it.

He refused to discuss my account options with me without my proper ID, even though I was there in person and had the numbers available to verbally provide to him. Still he refused. I asked if I could just discuss with him what the plan options were, and he said I had to look that up online. He could not and would not tell me in person. I have already spent the time to look them up online, and the only reason I took time off of work to physically walk into a store is because I wanted to discuss this in person with a human being employee.

He said he could not talk to me about anything regarding the account or even just plan options. I told him he was going to lose two customers (me and my wife) and he said he was fine with that. So I left and I will now be cancelling Singtel and going to a competitor thanks entirely to Mr. Lim's approach to customer service.

What Mr. Lim fails to understand is that, without customers, Singtel does not exist as a business. I wonder if the head of Singtel would like that his front-of-store, customer-facing employees do not care about customer service to the extent that they have now caused the company to lose two customers? I was going to renew for another two years for both me and my wife but that will not happen now. Perhaps Mr. Lim should go through additional customer service training, or perhaps he should not work for Singtel so that he can start his own business providing the same views on customer support that he showed today and see how well his business does. Or maybe he just doesn't care, and only enjoys collecting a paycheck from Singtel, paid for entirely by Singtel customers, for work poorly done on behalf of Singtel.

It's funny. I mentioned to a colleague at work yesterday that I was going to Singtel today to discuss this and he asked me why I belong to Singtel. He said their customer service is terrible. He is a customer of a competitor and told me they have great customer service. I assured him I didn't have any issues with Singtel. That is until today. I am canceling my service and going to a competitor. And, as is easily done today, I will be sharing my incident on social media so that quickly several hundred potential or existing Singtel customers see what they can expect from your company and its employees.

Mike