Singapore Business Page / No service , only payment wanted

Singapore Review updated:
Singapore Business Page
i have a contract signed with them for advertising on 23/2/07. but onwards no representative come over to advise on the adverting procedure.
on 12/06/07, i received a invoice for payment which nothing had been done or talk about yet. so i wrote in to cancel the advertisement as it is not efficient and effective and on top of it, it is the wrong media as before i sign the contract, they mention that with Singapore Business page, it will boost coverage worldwide, then i realize it is only mainly locally.

No news from them untill november 08, i received a invoice for payment again which i replied that i have request for cancellation. They say i have to pay a fee of SGD$650 for cancellation which i refuse cos i have wrote in a year ago and also nothing has been done on their part. i email to them again for waiver of cancellation based on the above reason.

No news from them again until 19 march 2009. They sent in a confirmation of cancellation of either i pay a admin fee SGD$ 350 or covert the arrangement to a trial package of SGD$500+ GST.
Which i refuse again because after 3 years since signing contract, they have done nothing except for chasing payment. i never seen any of their employees coming over to negotiate or convincing me that the company can help my company to get better coverage with their company. In fact only the external auditor (requesting for payment) is corresponding with me ! What kind of service am i getting! Does that mean that the contract i have sign binded me for payment but not their service? Do i have the rights to cancel the contract without having to pay any fees?

A  1st of Apr, 2009 by
I too faced the same problem with Singapore Business Pages. They sent a fax in Sep 2007 to update our company particulars. Without notice, the word 'Advertisement Contract & Cost' was finely printed on the top right hand corner and was so easily mistaken as part of the Singapore Yellow Pages company. We signed and faxed back.

Not long after that, we received an invoice of $4, 547.50. We were shocked and we called to terminate. As in the first place, we did not have the intention to place any advertisement. Secondly there were no discussion or follow up of the advertisement. They disallowed us to terminate and claimed that we had exceeded the seven days grace period. Then they offered many proposals to us but if we chose not to proceed, they insisted us to pay for the cancellation charge. Since then, they have been sending us several letters to chase for payment. But we ignored them.

This looks more like a scam to me. It was so misleading and led consumers into the trap. I remember sometime ago I read about a complaint from Straits Times, similiar incident that we had.

I hope the CASE will look into these complaints and investigate further.