Singapore Airlines / lost property and damaged bag

Changi Airport
Singapore

Baggage Damage and Goods Stolen Report

Dear Sir / Madame

I travelled from Karachi to Dubai on EK 601 on August 16, 2008, Business Class, from Dubai to Singapore on EK404 on August 17, 2008, and final leg of Singapore to Kuala Lumpur on Singapore Airlines Business Class on SQ118 on August 17, 2008. I am also a Gold member of Emirates frequent flyer program SKYWARDS.

When collecting my suitcase ( Tag number EK471777 ) at the KL airport I noticed that t was wrapped in plastic. Initially I thought that since it was raining in Singapore, the airport staff had wrapped my suitcase to save it from the water. However, one of the airline staff asked me to check my bag for abnormality indicating that I had not had it wrapped at the start of my journey.

When he cut the plastic wrap for me my suitcase was in shambles. Its zipper was totally broken. Upon a close inspection of the bag in front of the airline person I informed him of the following items missing from it;

• Sony T-200 Digital Camera
• Prada Shoes – Black
• Barker Shoes – Black

The suitcase was very new and I had purchased it in June 2008 from Malaysia for RM1200. The Sony camera and Prada Shoes were purchased from Singapore for SGD450 and SGD900 respectively. I had bought the Barker shoes from London in April 2008 for GBP200.

A complaint was lodged with Singapore Airlines and a complete explanation was given to them. They gave me a reference number KUL / SQ / 42774 and offered to repair the bag that I refused. I told them to compensate me for the stolen items and have the bag replaced with an equal both quality and cost wise. They took my address and told me to have the bag placed with the reception people for their convenience.

After a few days I received the same bag repaired and left with the reception of my hotel. I called up Singapore Airlines and asked them to have the bag removed and that I wanted an equally good replacement and not the same bag repaired. I also waited for my date of departure to bring this matter to the attention of Emirates and their action.

However, on September 21, 2008 I was informed by the Emirates staff at KL airport that it was the responsibility of Singapore Airlines to act on my complaint as they were the last carrier to transport my suitcase to Kuala Lumpur and that I should contact your office.

I am extremely frustrated at the happenings so far as I did not expect this treatment of myself and the luggage from a set of airlines as reputed as Emirates and Singapore Airlines, especially when I am traveling First / Business Class and am a Gold member.

I would appreciate your help in getting compensated for the damage and loss of property.

Looking forward to an early response and settlement.

Regards.