Silverman Spine Center / Unauthorized charges

I received a gift certificate in a letter dated September 25, 2007 from Silverman Spine Center, welcoming me to the neighborhood and offering both a free gift and a free first visit (Including consultation and Jtech Exam) with a value up to $350.

I went to Silverman Spine center on October 1, 2007 after I fell off a ladder to have my back looked at. Dr. Silverman claimed that I had a severe curvature of the spine and that my discs were degenerating. Dr. Silverman said she would agree to straighten my spine and heal my degenerating discs over a series of visits that would cost me approximately $2000. I balked at the price tag and Dr. Silverman informed me that my spine was in danger of degenerating. My first and only visit consisted of a consultation with Dr. Robin Silverman, a heat pad placed on my back and a Jtech exam where it was demonstrated how radically curved my spine was and how my discs were degenerating.

Dr. Silverman insisted that we begin treatment immediately and I told her that I did not have the funds to do so. She told me that I needed to open a Care Credit card with her to finance my treatment. I opened an account in the office. When I presented my coupon for my free consultation it was waived away and I was told that it was unnecessary to present this as I was opening a Care Credit account with Dr. Silverman.

Upon returning home I became suspicious of the high pressure to open a credit account and the alarming news that my spine was severely curve and my discs degenerating. I called Women's Health Center of Santa Fe and they referred me to X-Ray Associates of Santa Fe. I had an x-ray on October 2, 2007 with an attached radiologist report that confirmed my back had no anomalies and my disc spaces were well preserved.

I went to one visit with another chiropractor and he did a minor adjustment (for $65) and told me my back was fine.

I canceled my Care Credit card when it arrived in the email October 10, 2007.

Since this time I have received numerous letters from Dr. Robin Silverman insisting that I owe her $373.55. I have called her office each time and even sent a photocopy of my coupon and a letter refuting her charges.

I have now received a letter dated March 5, 2009 telling me that she is sending me to collections and that a $75 fee is being applied. I have never been sent to collections so this will impact my credit record.

Fr

Comments

• Er
      9th of Mar, 2009

I canceled my Care Credit card when it arrived in the email October 10, 2007.