Silver Lakes Vacation Club / Silver Lakes Vacation Club unreasonable with senior citizens

Box113Helendale, CA, United States Review updated:
4.5
Phone: 888-779-0987

My in-laws are owners of a Silver Lakes timeshare. They are 87 and 83 years old on a fixed income. They have tried to sell their vacation club membership but have had no success. (One of the problems with selling is that Silver Lakes has to approve, and charges ridiculous fees for someone to buy the timeshare.) Every year the maintenance fee is raised. Many years there are expensive mandatory special fees. This has been a big money drain for this senior couple. This year Silver Lakes is charging them a mandatory $1500.00 special assessment as well as the annual maintenance fee. The Silver Lakes staff has told them there is nothing they can do to help them, that they signed the contract and will have to pay the fees or have their credit ruined.

Comments

Ch
  13th of Nov, 2008
My wife has one of these units, inherited from her parents. We have reviewed the original documents and they indicate our contract expires 12/31/10. So, now the operators decide to do major capital improvements with at least a 15 year life and charge us the full amount of the improvements in our remaining 2 years. We also note the documents only specify assessments for "maintenance and management expenses", not major capital improvements. We are not going to pay the special fee and we urge all other owners to do the same ! The whole scheme is unfair and not enforceable in our opinion and we are ready to go to court !
Ma
  4th of Dec, 2008
My husband and I have one of these units also. I am not able to drive to their location to hear their sales presentation about how to avoid paying the $1500 assessment. I wrote to them and requested information about the program in writing which I have not received. I did send the request certified mail so I know they received it. I never received a proxy to vote on this assessment so we don't feel we should be responsible to pay for something knew nothing about nor had the opportunity to vote on. We have had the same mailing address for 18 years.
Pa
  22nd of Dec, 2008
Fees are exorbitant - services not offered