Silkair (Singapore Airlines) / never received our refund

1 Singapore Review updated:

This was a letter of complaint written to Silkair.

Hi, I wish to highlight that Silkair procedures to manage refunds to your customer simply does not work.

I bought a return Silkair ticket to travel from Singapore to Manado on the 6 Nov 2009 on MI 274 and back from Manado to Singapore on 9 Nov 2010 on MI 273. (Ticket number [protected]). The price of the ticket was $316 including taxes and I paid for it using my UOB credit card.
On the day of departure on 6 Nov, I was informed by the Silkair counter at Changi Airport that I needed to show the same exact UOB credit card I used to pay for the ticket. Given that I would change my wallet everytime I travel, I did not bring that credit card. I was asked by the Silkair staff to buy another ticket on the spot to fly from Singapore to Manada on the same flight I have already paid for simply because I did not bring my credit card even I have the proper travel documentation that obviously matches the ticket details.
I paid for the ticket, paid another $316 using a Citi credit card for the very same flight (ticket number 618 [protected], booking reference L6VXQL). I was informed by the Silkair staff that I would be receiving my refund into my UOB credit card within 8-10 weeks just like any other purchases done with the credit card and refunded later.
Eight weeks later, I decided to call up Silkair in Jan 2010 since I did not receive any refund into my UOB credit card. I was told that it was not yet 11 weeks so we would have to wait till 11 weeks until we would get the refund. Another 3 weeks later in Feb 2010 (on the 11th week after the day of flight), I called up Silkair again, they told me they are still processing the refund. I followed up with another 5 calls, and spoke to various Silkair call centre staff, namely Piers, Valentine, Steven, Dawson and Pamela, over the next few weeks. Again and again, they promised to give us a call back the next day to let us know if it has been resolved and we never got a call back even though we had to repeat the same story everytime we called Silkair. No records of our conversations or notes for the call centre was maintained, and I have a reason to believe that Silkair has no interest in helping the customer in getting the refund at all.

We have trusted Silkair and paid for an additional ticket on the spot for the same exact flight we paid for earlier when we were told we would get a refund 8-10 weeks later. Now we have tried numerous times to contact Silkair but was never able to get a satisfactory answer or as to when we are able to get a refund.

It has been more than 3 months (or 14 weeks) since I have paid for the ticket and promised a refund. Does it take an airline associated with Singapore airlines more than 3 months take to refund a $316 ticket which they have asked a customer to pay for on the spot because they did not bring the credit card they used to pay for the ticket, even though they had the proper travel documentation? I am utterly disappointed by the service or rather NO SERVICE provided by Silkair because:
i) they never refunded us the ticket price of $316 after more than 3 months of promising the refund
ii) Silkair had no interest in helping the customer to get the refund given there was no record kept in our numerous conversations with their staff and their staff never did call us back once even thought they promised to return the call
iii) There is no official way to provide a feedback directly to a manager who could make a decision via the phone number [protected].

From this experience I have gone through which I would share with my friends and family, it is very difficult to imagine us ever flying with Silkair again. I hope to hear from Silkair soon, if ever and not have to call back 6223 8888 again.

At

Comments

• Pe
      22nd of Apr, 2010

I understand your pain on SilkAir's "helpfulness" towards customers. I have recently booked online for 2 tickets (ticket no 6292100994634) for my manager and his partner to go from singapore to Shenzhen. Upon payment online, I have realised due to technical faults (the dates have changed on me when I hit the submit button), the return date was wrong.

I have tried to call several times to SilkAir Customer Service, but no one could help me. I cancelled the booking as a result, and realised I was charged a hefty fee for this technical error. The service people over the phone says there are no execptions and charges every customer this cancellation fee. I believe a lot of people have fell for this.

Now I have to wait 8 to 10 weeks, and I don't even know if I will ever get a full refund after reading your post. UOB says they are unable to do anything, and it is all on SilkAir's hands. I have informed all customers and business partners to be careful when booking through SilkAir. All this happened in less than half an hour, and I thought I was quick enough to salvage the situation, but I was wrong. My customer had a similar issue with another airlines (NWA), and they acted immediately on it and refunded him the ticket value, and also added an additional 25, 000 miles to satisfy their frequent customer.

I urge SilkAir to read customers' feedbacks seriously and have a dedicated team for customers' concerns and satisfaction.

• Ji
      10th of Oct, 2010

I have the similiar problem. Their staff are very polite, but could no t solve the problem for you. call singapore CASE(customers association of singapore). they will help you in some way.

• Ab

Silk Air - SIN to LOP 16th June, 2013

Return
    Silk Air - LOP to SIN 23rd June, 2013
    Tiger Airways - SIN to BLR 23rd June, 2013

I travel a lot, on a lot of flights - Emirates, Qatar Airways, Air Arabia, Air Asia, Tiger Airways, Singapore Airlines, Silk Air, etc.
    But, this was a crazy incident - both onward and return.
    I travelled from Bangalore to Lombok (Indonesia) via Singapore and back as mentioned above.
    I did not have a Singapore Visa as I was not planning to get down at Singapore.
    This is the worst experience I have had and would never want to travel Singapore Airlines / SilkAir and will not recommend to anyone.

First of all, when I reached Lombok, one of my check-in baggage which was checked in directly from Bangalore did not reach Lombok. (I had totally two checked in luggage - 1 came).
    Heard there is a compensation, but no news of when and where I will get it, who will give it, etc. I did not have any clothes. I had to buy everything. And, nobody (concerned Silk Air staff at Lombok) had any clue whether I will get my luggage back or not.
    The luggage came to my villa resort the next day afternoon. (after around 30 hours).

Then, when I came back from Lombok to Singapore, they did not do direct check in of luggage to Bangalore. They asked me to do it in Singapore.
    I was fine with it. They asked me to contact the transfer desk and they will help me out.
    I went to the transfer desk in Singapore. They told me that I have to get past immigration and check in the luggage.
    As I did not have a Singapore Visa, this was not possible. Hence, I lost my 2 check in baggage. They told me I cannot take the Tiger Airways flight back to Bangalore as they are aware that I have 2 check in luggage and that I would have to buy a non-low cost flight which will do check in of my luggage for me. I told them that my brother is in Singapore (who was travelling with me) and he would take my luggage. Then, they allowed me to travel, without my check in luggage. They wrote that I do not have any check in baggage and asked me to sign it.

I would like to complain about these two incidents to the concerned heads and also I want to let everyone know about how Singapore Airlines / Silk Air / Tiger Airways staff at Singapore transfer desk treated me.

What they should have done:
    At the time of verification at Bangalore Airport (Singapore Airlines), they asked me for my Singapore Visa. I told them that I do not have it as I am not getting out at Singapore. Then they asked me to show the return ticket. I showed them my return ticket from LOP to SIN via Silk Air and SIN to BLR via Tiger Airways. I was let in without any problem.
    If there was any issue with check in baggage, they should have notified me then and there itself.

Also, at Lombok Airport, they told me to contact the transfer desk at Singapore and the check in baggage can be transferred. Here, if they had told me that I cannot take check in baggage without getting out, I would have carried it as hand luggage and would have had no problems at all. (atleast, I could have taken one of the luggage as hand luggage). This was not informed.

Also, the staff at Singapore transfer desk were very rude to me. And, whenever I mentioned "YOU", all the staff were taking it personally. But, when we say "YOU", we mean the aircraft group and not any one person. They should understand this.

These information should be given prior to travelling and not while I am stuck at the airport having no other way than to let my baggage go.
    What if I was travelling alone? I would have lost my baggage or would have had to buy another flight ticket.
    What if I did not have money to buy another air ticket? Should I stay at the airport terminal?

This is very poor service from Silk Air, Singapore Airlines.