Silicon Solar - 6-Volt Solar Water Pump with LED Lights / Silicon so-so

1 2917 State HW 7Bainbridge, NY, United States Review updated:

Beware of Silicon Solar's exchange/return policy! This item was recommended to me by their sales rep, and it is the most underwhelming water pump I have ever seen in all my professional years. The pump is TINY and weak, the LED lights are dim and don't illuminate anything, and the fountain heads are of very poor quality. The solar panel doesn't come with any mounting bracket, and if one were to mount the panel to something themselves, it would void the warranty. After placing the pump in a clean, freshly-filled pre-fab pond, the pump worked for one weekend, and then began to fail over the course of 2 more days. After calling their customer service reps for help in exchanging it for something of better quality (like their lighting), I was reminded that I would need to pay a 25% RESTOCKING FEE, as well as shipping, which is approximately $15 from Seattle. So after the exchange, I would only get $60 of store credit. Quite a racket they've got going. They should add this to their return policy: "This item loses 40% of its value after purchase." That way, I wouldn't have bothered.

Va

Comments

30th of May, 2008

I've had to replace two of their 6V pumps in two seasons of use (they are only used in summer). When you call customer service, they remind you that the pumps only carry a 60 day warranty. I do not recommend buying from this company.

18th of Jul, 2008

i have had a similar experience with this company. i was ordering a replacement pump for a garden pond and ordered the wrong one. when i inquired about a return it was going to cost more to return it than the pump cost once shipping and %25 restock fee was applied. so i decided to keep the pump to gift to a friend. i called to find out about buying the panel that runs the thing and found out it cost more to buy the panel than the kit!
    i am looking elsewhere for solar supplies!

• Si
      25th of May, 2011

We are sorry that you have not been happy with our service, in an effort to reconcile any outstanding complaints against us, we wish for you to supply us with an invoice number and/or any other information for which we can formally identify you in our database. This is an attempt to authenticate you as an actual customer. If you can provide your invoice number or other identification that we could use to find you in our system to the following e-mail address reviews@siliconsolar.com, we will do our best to investigate and possibly compensate you for your negative experience. This will be on a per case basis of which compensation, if any, will be determined based on the history of the account. This is just one of the steps in which we are taking to reconcile complaints. We have taken many other steps such as instituting a new Return Policy that protects both the consumer and us to make the purchasing experience better. We have also created our own complaint/review site which is located at http://www.siliconsolar.com/silicon-solar-customer-satisfaction-guaranteed.php for customers to post negative or positive reviews of which we will constantly respond to. You will also be able to review our complaint vs customer history and see that we actually have a 99.8% customer satisfaction rate.

Sincerely,
    Joshua Kenyon
    Managing Director

• Cu
      20th of Jun, 2011

Lies all lies, they change their return policy and clean house every two years, they need to go out of business, and their products are crappy chinese made stuff, with huge markups