Sign Depot / Made racial comments about me to other employees

Sign Depot located on Dennis Road in Dallas, TX is racist owned and operated.

I am the executive assistant for a company that prior to my being employed did business with Sign Depot. I have placed orders with them in the past and despite what I considered to be mediocre service, continued to do business with them since my bosses had established a relationship with them.

On the morning of May 6th, 2008, I called Sign Depot to place an order for business cards. I introduced myself as I usually do, stating my name and where I was calling from.

The man who answered the phone (who we now have determined was Brad the owner), muttered something inaudible and I was disconnected. Not knowing what was going on, I immediately called back and was disconnected again.

Still being naive as to what the real problem was, I waited a few minutes and called back, this time, Brad picked up the phone and thought he had disconnected me again, but he didn't realize I was still on the line.

He proceeded to say to a co-worker, "This black girl from (my company name) keeps calling. I wish she'd just stop calling". Then he proceeded to say we don't like ***" and started repeating the words "*** Anonymous" several times in a joking manner. He also said, "We're the KKK" and used the term "Monkey...we don't like Mexicans either" etc. This went on for a while and they all seemed to think it was pretty funny.

Well, I don't think it's funny in the least bit. This type of behaviour is the reason we have the problems we have in our society. Never mind the fact that I'm smart, professional, and business minded. For a company to ruin a business relationship based on the colour of an assistant's skin, is absolutely unbelievable to me.

It was an absolute eye opener for me and I'm glad that their true feelings came to light, because it prevents me and the company I work for from ever doing business with them again. Hopefully, it will stop others as well.

Va

Comments

• St
      20th of Mar, 2009

I find this accusation very hard to believe. I have used Brad for years and he always does great work at a great price. No one can compete with Brad on job completion time. My former business partner was an African American and he and Brad had a great relationship. Brad on several occasions invited him to join him on his boat for a day of water skiing. I think Brad even took my partner's son fishing at Lake Grapevine. Brad over the years has employed minorities and they appeared quite happy to work for him. I would recommend Brad and Sign Depot to any business associate.