Shopping Essentials / Debit card fraud!

United States Review updated:
4.65
Shopping Essentials charged my debit account $14.95 each month from february 2007 to october 2007. These charges were totally unauthorized. It's fraud!!!

Comments

St
  5th of Nov, 2007
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
I agree! We had multiple charges from the same company. We were not aware of using any such company. Our credit card is disputing it. Please beware!!!
Me
  9th of Nov, 2007
I purchased clothing from NorthStyle.com and on their homepage it said that I would get $20 off my order if I tried Shopping Essentials. After I checked out a page came up asking me to claim my $20 so I clicked the button and no I did not get $20 off of my order and I wasn't aware that I was enrolling in anything. There's nothing indicating that I would be billed monthly. I thought it was a rebate. It's a total scam. I've canceled my membership through their site and received an email with my cancellation number. We'll see if it was really canceled next month when I get my credit card statement.
Sh
  13th of Nov, 2007
My information was given to them by Vista Print. I ordered invitations online. Not only was I getting charged from Shopping Essentials, Vista Print was also charging my account. There was a total of $90.00 debited to my account without authorization. I was also told I was getting some sort of rebate. Be careful what you click!
Ei
  15th of Nov, 2007
I am in the same boat with charges from this company. My credit card company is disputing the charges as they were never authorized by me. After hours of arguing with their customer service people and being hung up on numerous times supposedly I will be receiving a credit and my "membership" will be cancelled. I did some research and found out that their company is headquartered in Omaha, Nebraska. I plan on contacting the district attorney there to let him/her know about this scam along with the any consumer affairs offices in the state of Nebraska. These fraudulent business practices are criminal.
Gr
  30th of Nov, 2007
The same thing happened to me but I never clicked on a thing. I simply ordered address labels and paid with my debit card. Now I am being charged 14.95 every month. I went back to VistaPrint to try to order again and see where I agreed to this charge and was unable to find it. This is completely fraudulent! SOMEONE shut this company down. Sad thing is I liked the labels and would have re-ordered, but for sure they have lost my business.
Le
  5th of Dec, 2007
I have received the same charges and also from another place called Passport of fun. I did not authorize these charges and am going to contact my bank to have them stopped. Also I will contact the BBB and my attorney general of my state. This has to stop...
Mi
  5th of Dec, 2007
THE SAME THINGS HAVE HAPPENED TO ME. HOW MANY $14.95's DO THEY ILLEGALLY GET BEFORE THEY ARE SHUT DOWN?

I WISH I KNEW HOW TO CLOSE THEM DOWN.
SINCE I AM OLD SCHOOL,,,,,I WOULD NEED TO KNOW WHERE THEY ARE LOCATED. FACE TO FACE IS THE ONLY WAY I KNOW.
VERY FRUSTRATING.
Ch
  5th of Jan, 2008
The same thing happened to me. I was charged $9.95 and I didn't agree to these charges. I don't even know who they are and how they got my credit card information. I called and asked them to cancel, they stated they needed a membership number which I did not have. The operator that I spoke to stated she didn't have my information in the system and she had to get her supervisor to assist her in locating my information. They stated that in two days there will be a refund, we will see. I also disputed the charge with the bank. This is so scary. I am very concerned on how they retrieved my information. I think that I will try contacting the Better Business Bureau to see what can be done.
  6th of Jan, 2008
File complaints with the Better Business Bureau! And complain to the online company you legitimately ordered something from! The more of us that do, then something will happen. I filed a complaint with the BBB in Easthern Massachusetts against the online marketer for supporting deceptive marketing practices. I ordered something from (Potpourri Group, aka Catalog Favorites) and Shopping Essentials was embedded in their order form. I had no idea that I had signed up for a shopping club. I thought it was a coupon or discount for a future purchase. Luckily I saved the email message, although I hadn't read it when I received it. If I had, I would have seen that this company insists that they have an "electronic signature" because I included my zip code in the "application." If you go to the BBB's site in Nebraska and look up "Vertrue Inc." which is the parent company for Shopping Essentials, you will learn as I did that this company has had more than 2,000 complaints filed with the BBB in Nebraska - www.bbbnebraska.org. This is what's in their report: Based on BBB files, this company has an unsatisfactory record of complaints concerning unauthorized charges to consumer's credit cards. Complaints reported to the Bureau primarily involve claims of unauthorized charges by the Company's affiliates. In such cases, customers reported no recollection of having agreed to the programs that were billed to their credit card, debit card or bank account. In some of the cases, consumers reported being charged for two or three years.They have an unsatisfactory rating with the BBB.

COMPLAIN to the Nebraska BBB AND to the BBB in the home state for the company that is "in partnership" with this company. You have to file complaints in the state where the company is doing business. I sent an email message to customer service at both Catalog Favorites, where I encountered Shopping Essentials, and to Shopping Essentials before filing a complaint. I also intend to file a complaint with the Nebraska BBB.
Be
  9th of Jan, 2008

Shopping Essentials - Unauthorized debit from Ckg. account!
Dayton
Ohio
Phone: 937-278-7634

A 19.95 charge was debited against my checking account without my permission or knowledge which caused a $35.00 overdraft on my account. I was told when I received a phone call from this company I believe in September that information pertinent to the company policies and etc. would be mailed. The next time I hear anything from them is the $19.95 debit from my account. What I would really like to know is how they were able to get my Routing number and my Checking information.

Sincerely,
Betty L. Lilllard.
La
  10th of Jan, 2008
The same thing just happened to me. And I want to take action. But nothing will come of it unless I can creat enough of an uprise to get their attention. Would you like to help me?

Laruen.
Ha
  10th of Jan, 2008
I only wish that I had gone to this site first. This happened to me too. I filled out the form, and for $1.00-to get the freebies. Then I did not look at my statement for a while, and there it is:un-authorized charges. I am in the process of filing with my bank. When I spoke to them( shop. essentials) , they say wont reverse the charges (first 2months). They say that if you dont cancel, they automatically have a right to charge. One should read carefully all matters they provide--to me that is deceptive. I will do what I can, but for now I lose $29.95 + 29.95, they are crediting me for another 29.95 cause I officially cancelled.

If it is free, it will cost you. Remember that.
Even if you get it back, you lose alot of time to straighten it out.
  10th of Jan, 2008
You guys need to complain to the Better Business Bureau. That's what they are for. I went to my credit union today and brought them copies of the Nebraska BBB report on this company and a copy of my own complaint. Your bank or credit union will refuse this company's charges if you take the steps you need to take and that's: 1) cancel your "membership" with Shopping Essentials online. 2) Send an email message or call and leave a message asking for a refund. My email messages to their customer service bounced so I just went to the next step: 3) File a complaint with the Nebraska BBB - www.bbbnebraska.org. 4) Call the fraud division of your credit card company and ask them what steps they will take. Be sure to document everything in writing. If you used your debit card or bank account, GO to the bank or credit union and talk to them. 5) Make copies of these board postings and the complaint file on Nebraska BBB's web site (my credit union is using that and my BBB complaint). 6) Complain to the BBB about the catalog company that carried Shopping Essentials on their Web site. They are supporting deceptive marketing practices. If you have complained to Shopping Essentials and got nowhere, you need to take the next step. If you don't complain to the right people -- your bank and the BBB, there will be no documentation for a state attorney general to take on. These companies get away with this stuff because they figure that most people won't bother to do anything about a $10 or so fraudulent charge.
Ja
  17th of Jan, 2008
I just discovered today that I had been charged by Shopping Essentials for three months. Thought the charge was for something my husband had ordered. No, this was a charge for a Restaurant.com certificate bought last November. I was charged Nov, Dec & Jan at $14.95 each.
Have filed a dispute with my credit card company and cancelled my account with S.E.
I will never buy from Restaurant.com again and have notified everyone in my address book.
Also, was sent a gift certificate by son to Restaurant.com in the amount of $125 only to find that I could use only $25 at a time and nothing in the catalog for less than $75-100. That is another scam!
  18th of Jan, 2008
I am currently on hold now...........taking forever of course, wondering where and how (obviously a purchase I made) they debited my account for 19.95 ..........I have never heard of this company and called my bank because I noticed this amount debited and I didn't spend that amount anywhere. I hve been told that I got through Vitacost which is funny because I didn't even buy through Vitacost..........yes, on their website but didn't even buy................gotta watch everything we do more closely I guess. I was told that I will be refunded in two business days and they will cancel my "membership"..........yes, I will absolutely make sure it is credited too.
Bo
  18th of Jan, 2008
This company also stole my credit card information when I orderd vitiamins from vita-cost.com. They have made a charge of 14.95 a month for the last seven months before I found out about it. We as consumers should be able to press charges against this company for theift and sue them as well. We need a lawer. class action law suit.
Jo
  27th of Jan, 2008
I also have been billed for $9.95 for 3 months. I purchased an item from the Favorites Catalog, and clicked on the $20 refund offer. I have never received a refund or any mail from Shopping Essentials. AND - I also was not aware that clicking on the refund offer signed me up with Shopping Essentials. They do not make it plain - it's a SCAM. I canceled my "membership" and they are supposedly crediting my last month's billing - but refused to credit any other month. They were polite with me till I asked for the total amount - then they passed me onto the supervisor who speaks in a foreign accent that is barely understandable. I then called the Favorites Catalog and had them remove my name from their mailing list and told them that because of their affiliation with Shopping Essentials they would receive no more business from me.
Ji
  29th of Jan, 2008
Young Explorers pass on my credit info to shopping essentials. As soon as I saw they wanted to charge me something and wanted my CC i canceled out.
Va
  31st of Jan, 2008

Shopping Essentials - Scam and fraud!
www.shopping-essentials.com

Last week I found that I have been charged twice in a month by Shopping Essentials $14.95. I have never heard of this company and have not ever purchased service or merchandise from them. I have asked my bank to give me information about how to contact them as I have been unable to find any way to call them and 'read them the riot-act' for stealing from my account.

I have never approved of them taking money from my bank account and want to know how they appropriated my financial information. I did not give it to them.
Va
  1st of Feb, 2008

Shopping Essentials - Online scam!
www.shopping-essentials.com

About three months ago I noticed a fraudulent charge on my credit card from SHOPPING ESSENTIALS for 14.95. So I got a new credit card and filed a claim against the charge. Now I noticed a fraudulent charge from VISTA PRINT on my new credit card. How do they get your info this easy?

ATTN: Lawyers email me because I'm sick of them trying to get over and using private information to benefit themselves. Let's do something to stop it from happening again.