Shopping Essentials / Bankcard fraud!

1 Portland, OR, United States Review updated:
Phone: 503-288-6411

I made a purchase from restaurants.com on 11/30/07, I was prompted to do a survey and get a discount on my first purchase. I passed and continued to make my purchase. Next thing I know my bank account was charge 14.95 from Shopping Essentials. I contacted Shopping Essentials, they said they received my personal information along with my bank card information from Restaurants.com. I file a fraud report with my bank and contact restaurants.com. Restaurants.com said they couldn't produce the document I illegaly filled out giving them authorization to pass my personal/bank information. Stay Clear of this company is a SCAM.

Comments

20th of Feb, 2008

I bought a discount coupon for Papa's Pizza via Restaurants.com with my co-workers entertainment book subscription. Shopping Essentials began debiting my account three times before I noticed it. Which caused 3 $35 overlimit fees on my checking account. I called Shopping Essentials and the soul-less rep wanted to verify she was speaking to the right person and she said my co-workers name. I told her no and youhad no authorization to charge me account especially under someone elses name. She passed me on to a manager who was extremely condesending and rude. He claims he will take my word for it that I didn't auth the charges. When I began asking questions as to how they could do this whith out the correct name and no confirmation was sent to me, he told me I was yelling at him and hung up. This is a scam and I will make every party aware of this situation including Papa's Pizza, Restaurants.com, Entertainment book, the school that has childeren selling these books. Beware of this scam!

23rd of Feb, 2008

Shopping Essential scam just happened to me too. Did anyone get their money back?

• Mo
      29th of Feb, 2008

Shopping essentials is the most fradulent company ever. There has to be a way that we can all complain to a higher consumer authority or something. We have to hold them accountable or they will keep doing this to people. I'm sure there are hundreds out there if not thousands that are getting scammed by this company.

Same thing happened to me. They've been billing my account for 19.95 for 10 months. I only found out about it last month. My last statement had only 3 charges on it, one of which was shopping essentials. And that's how I picked up on it. I usually have more than 20 charges on my monthly statetments. Furthermore, shopping essentials never sends you anything by mail. They never send you any statements. They never send you a membership card, or a document of the terms and agreement. And therefore it usually takes a while before you realise that you are getting scammed by them.

• Kr
      5th of Feb, 2009
    Shopping Essentials - Charged me six months fraudulently
    SHOPPING ESSENTIALS

Upon checking my bank statement closely, imagine my surprise at seeing a $19.95 Shopping Essentials charge Who or what is Shopping Essentials??

Upon closer review, I discovered a continuing charge for the past 6 months from the same organization. After doing a little research on this company, I came upon this web site. After realizing that this is most likely connected to my Classmates.com membership I tried like others to discontinue my membership, no luck getting a live person.

Subsequently, I contacted my bank and cancelled my bankcard which will ultimately solve the problem. The bank is also investigating fraud. The bank informed me that the best way to deal on the internet is with your credit card which allows you to dispute charges easier, and more routinely. At any rate neither classmates.com nor this group will charge anything to me again.

• F1
      7th of Apr, 2009

I agree. SHopping essentials is a scam company. I purchased some gift cards from restaurants.com but I never clicked on the button for the discount and still this company was able to obtain my credit card information and charged my account for $14.95 without authorization. I am disputing this charge now. Let see what happens.

• Sw
      8th of Apr, 2009

OMG...can you people READ

I just purchased certificates and the last page clearly states "YOU WILL BE BILLED...for the monthly service if you fill out the questioneer

Did you ever get a check in the mail..that when you sign the back your agreeing to purchase a service??

Jeez...everyone wants $10 off..no one reads HOW

• Mi
      13th of Apr, 2009

I had the same thing happen where I purchased something from restaraunts.com and they have been charging my account $14.95 a month. How can they get away with this?

• Mi
      13th of Apr, 2009

I had the same thing happen where I made a purchase from Restaruants.com and this company charged my account $14.95 a month with no authorization. How can they get away with this?

24th of Nov, 2009

I BOUGHT TWO AIRLINE TICKRTS ONLINE AND THEY STOLE MY CREDIT CARDS NUMBER AND CHARGED $40.00 TO MY ACC SO THEY THINK

24th of Nov, 2009

shoopping essentails+ stole my credit card # when i bought 2 airline tickets on line they charged $40.oo to my acc.but they will never get paid and the state d.a. office is looking into th matter some one has to stop them if i can help cirby24#yahoo.com

9th of Feb, 2010
    Shopping Essentials - Debit Card Ripoff
    Shopping Essentials / MOV
    Beverly Hills
    Florida

Before Christmas my wife purchased a book on line from a large, well known company. In January and February of this year she noticed two charges from her debit card from MOV. At first she wrote it off as something she purchased while traveling over the holidays but then realized the charges were the same amount and one was made while she was no longer on the road. Further investigation revealed the charges were from "Shopping Essentials" a well known fradulent company who apparently hacks unsecured web sites and steals debit and credit card numbers. She immediately contacted our bank's securigy office who in turn cancelled her debit card and refunded the money to her checking account. In the meantime the Citrus County Sheriff's Office has turned this case over to the Florida Attorney General's Office for prosecution. The CCSO's Seniors Against Crime organization has also been informed of these scammers.