Shopping Essential / Fraud

PA, United States Review updated:
4.4
I ordered Vitamins From vitacost.com ... They then sold my credit/debit card information to Shopping Essentials who billed my account 19.95. This would continue every month if i had not noticed. I complained to both companies and the BBB in Nebraska for Shopping Essentials. I had to go through the fraud departmetn for my credit union. They had to shut down my card and reissue a new one. Something needs to be done to these bussinesses. How are they still around?

Comments

Na
  11th of Sep, 2008
Shopping Essential has made an unauthorized charge of $19.55 to my credit card today. I am disputing this charge with my back, but did want to make others aware that they are still ripping off consumers.
Va
  26th of Nov, 2008
Shopping Essentials showed up on my billing statement 3 months ago. I didn't' know what it was. I assumed that my hubby was buying some stupid thing or another for school. It was only $19.95. I must have missed the next one but I caught the last one and recognized it. Not our usual purchase for certain.

I called the number on the statement to inquire what kind of company they were and that is when the run around began. They claim to be a retail shopping company. I explained that I didn't know what they were and they couldn't even tell me how I could look them up on the internet. I asked if I had ever used their services and they couldn't be sure of that either.

The woman got short with me and I got very aggressive on the phone. She was dodging my questions and finally said that I must have clicked a pop up. It didn't dawn on me to ask how they had received my credit card number. They promptly canceled and refunded my $19.95 but refused to credit more than the one.

I am currently filing claims with my credit union to get back 2 of the charges so I'm fairly happy. But be warned!!! I looked them up on the internet and there are hundreds of sites warning of their scam. They buy your credit card number and they fraudulently charge their membership fees.
Wo
  19th of Dec, 2008
so i reg. for true.com and i cancelled before my trail period was over, i used my student account credit. 12/18/2008 i recieved a refund from my school, checked the balance on my account 12/19/2008, to my surprise i found out that there was a charge for 44.86 from shopping essential. MY POINT IS dont go through true because they are not a secure website i spoke to a supervisor and she couldnt even tell me how they got my info. to top that off they recieved another complaint about the same isssue do they care NO
La
  30th of Dec, 2008
Agree Disagree -1 Votes
They did not sell your account info - you gave it to them willingly.

YES YOU DID - go back and READ THE DISCLOSURES - when you completed that survey or took the $$ off your current order when you placed the order.

Most people choose not to read what is right in front of your face- expect to get hit with charges you agreed to - but ignored it at the time
Ni
  10th of Jan, 2009
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
This same exact thing happened to me!! Vitacost order then 19.95 charge from "shopping essentials" who said, when I called, that I made an order from them in 1995!!! The lady said she would cancel my account and refund the money within 2 bus. days. I sure hope so and I'm gonna keep an eye on them. And I am NOT shopping at Vitacost again!!!

ps. This "YES YOU DID" lady's comment above is meaningless when the point of these companies is to trick you. It is wrong and should be reported.
Li
  5th of Feb, 2009
I just discovered or noticed today that my credit card account had been charged since 2/2008 for 17.95 a month for a subscription to some 'membership' for something that I didn't authorized, have not received anything (whatever the 'membership' was for).

These charges, up to current, come to about 215.00. I want all charges returned to me in cash. My credit card has been canceled, so no credits would be made.

I want all charges necessary or reports to all federal control agencies to be set against this organization.
Da
  12th of Feb, 2009
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
You did not disclose your information with full knowledge of the transaction. Believe it or not most people don't like paying people money for no apparent reason. It is a fraudulent website and you should report it to your bank and your state banking commission. The entire point of sites like those are to trick people into giving info they are usually combined with another transaction.
  17th of Mar, 2009
I signed up for Restaurant.com and they gave my information to Shoppingessential+.com for a 1 month trial membership subscription. After the free trial, the charges started. The problem is I never knew there was even a trial period, or that I had signed up for that. The CSR didn't even know what kind of membership I signed up for, very vague, and they wanted a copy of my bank statement to refund overdraft fees, which I refused to provide, being that Shoppingessential+.com seems to be such a questionable organization, who has FRAUD written all over. Had I not realized the charge was there this month, I would only assume the charges would have continued to accrue on a monthly basis for this "membership"... what an easy way to make money! Imagine having at least 1, 000 of these charges every month and maybe 10% of these people complain about it? what about the rest? Scams like these make our online shopping less and less reliable every day.
Ma
  8th of Apr, 2009
This company is doing the same to me, every month a charge for 11.95 on my debt card. I never purchased anything with more then one payment. I was a ad from buying to rate the company, and then a pop up of entering to win 20.00 So I entered there must of been a catch with the magazines, but i never summited to get any.
Sh
  12th of May, 2009
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
I had the same problem through Restaurant.com. I purchased some coupons and they told me I would get $10 off if I joined Shoppingessential.com I clicked yes and read the fine print. There was no agreement for any future charges nor fees noted. I have been charged $14.95 two months in a row with two people from the company telling me via email that I will be refunded in full. Two weeks later and I have received nothing, the charges are still on my card. I have filled a complaint with the ftc and anyone who has been taken advantage of should report it at ftc.gov. It may not immediately benefit you, but hopefully it will put this crime ring out of business.

P.S. The reason they are doing it for less than $20.00 is because that keeps them off the FBI's and other federal agencies radar.
Be
  30th of Jun, 2009
While ordering postcards for our sons wedding through Vista printing, my credit card number was used to authorize this website. I didn't authorize it and am very upset with them as well as vista printing. Stay away from them they are a scam!
Em
  18th of Aug, 2010
Agree Disagree +3 Votes
We were also charged $69 by MD SHOPPING ESSENTIAL, and I ALWAYS click on "NO, THANKS" when offered especial discounts or whatever when buying on line! Yesterday the charge was from "MEDICUS 2000, " but today it reads in our statement: "MD SHOPPING ESSENTIAL"! It IS a rip-off, indeed it is. My husband works for a business that was created in 1893; they never had to do this kind of obscure scheme to sell, because the products they sell has high quality! I'm reporting these jerks.
Ju
  7th of Jun, 2011
Medicus TRICKED us too! Today we received a WELCOME TO GOLF LIFE membership! I called to cancel and they already had our credit card information from Medicus! How can so many people be wrong and stupid IF Medicus wasn't purposely being so deceptive?

Laurie, you must work for Medicus or that Shopping Essential company!
Ki
  19th of Oct, 2011
My husband ordered something off line for me for Christmas 2010, said he checked no thank you to all the other sales choices. Shopping Essentials has been taking money out of my account (me being the primary on the account) since 2010 and it is now 2011. I have had monies credited back to my account on two different occasions and they still are taking monies from this account, with no record of me calling in. $257.00 dollars worth of nothing, without notifying me the primary holder of this account. Now telling me they can only credit 60 days worth of charges. I am mad as hell and if they don't refund all the money, I will call everyday for the rest of my life until I get that money back. What other choices do I have? Right!

Kim
Ri
  31st of Dec, 2011
I have noticed Billing of $15.95 every month from12/03/10 to 12/02/11.
This in information comes to me by reading on Google that this is a scam that many are falling into.
I want you to Cancel any phony membership I have and credit my credit card that you have on file, Visa 4391 with Wells Fargo Bank.
The Bank and the BBB have been notified along with my Lawyer.
The amount you need to credit My Bank, of which they will be looking for is $15.95 Times 12 months $191.40.
This must be done 1/06/12, I will hold off those notified until that date.
Cotact me at rawelch@cableone.net