Shoppers Evaluation Inc. / Fraudulent check

NH, United States Review updated:
4.75
This ia a variation of the Daniel Haskins fake check scheme. My wife received a check for $4998 from Shoppers Evaluation Inc. which was signed by Jack A. Dill for which she was to act as a secret shopper. The idea is that money is to be divided as follows: $300 for herself, $50 for shpping at Wal-Mart, $40 for shopping at Gap, $1579 to be sent via Western Union with $99 for the service fee, and $2873 to be sent via Moneygram with $57 for the service fee. The scammers obviously hope that we'll cash the check and send them the money before the bank says that the check bounced.
Po

Comments

Da
  25th of Dec, 2008
Several days ago I received the same exact thing!! I was hesistant about it for many reasons, one being there was no return address on the envelope and due to my suspicion at how i had been "pre-selected" when I had never heard of such a company before. I am still a little thrown off by the scam because I called the number to inquire about how is it they received my information and it sounded somewhat convincing, but we all know nothing is free in this world.
Mi
  27th of Dec, 2008
just received the same check for the same deal. this one is drawn off the Darien Rowayton Bank . it really sucks that there are people out there willing to take advantage of people that are already in a really tough spot. My bank account is already over drawn and my phone shut off and the kids didnt even get Christmas this year. I hope they find the people behind this and string them up, slowly.
Jn
  28th of Dec, 2008
HA,
I even called the guy back and told him that it is a fraudulent check and he got nasty with me. Why can't the authority put and end to this when he has contact info such as a phone number on the letter.
Jg
  29th of Dec, 2008
I got this exact letter also and the first thing i did was go online to investigate this "company". I found these comments then I called the phone number to tell them that this was a fraud and I wanted to be taken off any mailing list they had. The woman on the line said ok then hung up on me without getting any of my information. I tried to call back several times and it went to voice mail every time, like they were screening my call. Oh well, that's just the proof I needed to rip up letter and check.
Ki
  29th of Dec, 2008
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
I received one of these in the mail today! Luckily I google just about anything these days! I googled the company and found this site. I agree with jncdewitt...if we have phone numbers and checks...how can they NOT get these guys! Mine too was drawn on the Darien Rowayton Bank...the funny thing is, now that I look closely at it...it's OBVIOUSLY a bogus check...the bank logo is SO DISTORTED! It's a really bad "copy/paste" job! How do people get away with this crap!
  30th of Dec, 2008
i receive this check in the mail from shoppers evaluation inc. being the times it is know, and in a financial hardship, i could not believe i receive this check. so i called the bank number on the check, and they women on the phone was quick to get the check number and tell me the funds were available and cut me off. so i went to the bank's website and show that they had a website. i also went to google world and type in the address on the bottom of the letter, and found the street location as 115 1st ave ventria, in nd. i have called the number for my instruction, three times, and after waiting for about 30 seconds, was told to leave a number were they can get a hold of me, and they last time i called i left a page. i was going to go to the bank and opening a new checking account and see what happens. I am going to call the number on the banks website and see what happens. i have to give them credit at least the town rowayton, ct is a town in ct. will keep you posted. i just might open up that new checking acct, wait until it clears, because i bet you they will wait until the check comes though and them call me and let me know were to wire the money, put i will instruct my bank to let me know when the funds are available and won't touch it for a couple of weeks and see what happens.
Tl
  2nd of Jan, 2009
I got this same check in the mail today, and it was actually addressed and made out to my 13 year old son! I called the number and the man who answerd told me that it was real, and he was convincing about how they got his name as he had ordered things online before. He told me to deposit the check and contact them when the funds are available. This seems a little off compared to what I am reading here as it seems from reading this that they would want you to spend the money before the bank realized the check was fraudulent. I then asked him where I was supposed to send the funds via western union and money gram and he said it didn't matter and that I could send them anywhere I like. So they are clearly not trying to get us to send the money to them. So what IS the point behind this? How are they benefitted by it if no money is transfered back to them? So I then looked up Darien Rowayton Bank online, which by the way is not in Rowayton, CT, it's in Darien, CT, and I told the person on the phone that I received a check issued by their bank, and that I wanted to ascertain its validity. He asked me if the check was for $4998.00 and I said yes, and he said it is a counterfeit check and they will not honor it. He said they have the FBI involved already and are working on taking care of this, and they have plenty of information at this point. I still wish I knew what was in it for them... but regardless at least I checked this site before cashing the check. People just never cease to amaze me!
Cl
  3rd of Jan, 2009
I receive the same check yesterday, I found this site after searching the web for this bank and company. The FDIC has a long list of banks that has been hit by this scam and it is working with the Canadiens force to catch thee people. But I also look at shopping inc's. website and they have a scam alert that say take checks/letters to post office so it can be given to FBI. I also agree with jnchewitt... If they are able to speak with us over the phone, somewhere law-enforcement should be able to catch them.
Pr
  5th of Jan, 2009
I received the same check a few days ago and I am a very big skeptic. I called the company and they told me that all was a go and that I could deposit the check but being a skeptic with the internet I decided to look up the bank. I found the main number for the bank and called and was told this was NOT a valid check, however when you call the number on the bottom of the check the company that answers tells you that the check is valid. Guess you could say that this is a scam - but hey I work for a check cashing place, I just might have to see what they can get done with this company.
He
  10th of Jan, 2009

Shoppers Evaluation Inc. - Fraud
shoppers evaluation INC.
115 1st Ave. NE.Ashly ND.58413

I was sent this check and when I tried to cash it the police showed up the company is scaming people be aware.
Jb
  14th of Jan, 2009
I received the check yesterday and opened it today. I, too, used google to check facts and confirm whether or not this was FRAUD. My check is written on GILMER NATIONAL BANK, GILMER, TEXAS. When I called the phone number, I was told the check was valid; however, I asked other questions such as to whom was I speaking -- to get a name other than PAM DAVIDS, Head Assignment Co-Ordinator (which is misspelled) and to verify the processing code no. and was hung up on.

It is a shame in this day and time, people can work hard attempting to defraud innocent persons out of their hard earn money and the policing officials cannot catch these type of thieves. It's great to know that I'm not the only one being targetted with this mail fraud and by being proactive, was able to get to this complaint blob. I pray that all persons involved with this type of scam are caught and prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.
Dh
  16th of Jan, 2009
The more pople that make reference to this matter on-line, hopefully the more people that receive this check and letter will not go forward with the actions on the letter. I work as a Mystery Shopper with several different agencies. When I received this check from SHopper's Evaluation, Inc., with the letter of instructions from a Pam Davids it immediately looked odd. No Mystery Shoppers Organization will arbitrarily send ou a check with instructions. You must apply with that agency and depending on the agency you may be required to undergo training and certification to work with them. Then and only then do you then receive monthly work assignments for the areas you work in the form of a contract. This scam has been introduced in several different forms. SOme are posted above, but this scam was also presented to the modeling agencies I work with as well, except in the form of a modeling job. You receive a email from an individual ( always a different name) that advises he has a fashion shot for you. If you are interested in the work, you are to expect a Fedex within a few days containing a check in this exact ammount of $4, 998. $300 is your fee but the remaining amount must be deposited ino your bank account within a certain period of time advisin you to immediately withdrawn so much money and send a western union payment equal to the remaining balance to a party ( like the photographer) in a different state or town for dvance payment before the shoot. Anyone who has worked in the modeling arena knows this is hogwash - but for those that mystery shopping or modeling appeal to ( or even saying you won a lottery) that have no knowledge of how the REAL world works with this type of work, will jump o n it for the cash. DON'T Be fooled, Please. The minute this money hits your account and you withdraw it and send it to the party, you then find out its a fake check and you are overdrawn by the amount you just withdrew and sent on its way.

I contacted this so-called company via telephone today 1-800-963-9714. The company is listed on the letter as being located at 115 1st Ave in Ashley ND. I was directed to state who was calling and then was immediately transferred to an operator. As soon as she picked up the phone she advised there was no such person by the name of Pam Davids. I advised her that there was some concern with a receipt ofa check and the validity of their company and if verification could not be made the letter and check was being reported to the State Attorney's office in my area. I was immediately transferred to a voice mail and hung up on. When I tried to call back I was immediately transferred to that same voice mail again. We have many people as this preying on so many right now especially with the economy and they need to be stopped. SO keep your comments coming and please report it to your State Attorney's office with a copy of all the comments on this page. Its bound to get attention.
Ni
  17th of Jan, 2009
This information in Google was very helpful. As, I was about to be a victim of this scam. Appreciate comments from the public to be made available.
Sd
  21st of Jan, 2009
Okay, here's my issue...Why haven't they been caught yet?...I received the same cashier's check this afternoon. At first I must say the check seems pretty convincing. It even feels real. My first thoughts are "NO WAY" how lucky am I. Only because I have signed up before to be a secret shopper. The whole time my very smart boyfriend was saying it's a scam. I goggle almost everything now a days. So as I hit search this is the very first sight I came upon. I knew it was fake, I just really hoped it wasn't...I feel sorry for the little old ladies and the desperate people who get taken advantage of. Let's just hope people do their research until these people who are running this get caught!!!
El
  13th of Feb, 2009
I just got the same scam in the mail. A cashier's check for $4998.00 through Elberfeld State Bank signed by Robert Smith.

The letter is from Shoppers Anonymous, Inc with an address of suite #108 - 121 E Highway 46, Wagner, SD 57380.

The phone number on the check was 866-786-4956 and on the letter it was 905-606-0808.

The letter was signed by Jack A. Dill.

THIS IS A TOTAL SCAM - PLEASE DO NOT FALL FOR IT!!!
Ka
  9th of Apr, 2009
I have just recieved this check yesterday.amount4978.00 I called number on check, oh yeah was good to go.All I had to do was take it to bank, wait for funds to clear.Well I had a thing awile back when I was selling my shepard puppies.Someone called through tty.They send me a check to cover price of dog, and to pay for there shipper who wold come and pick it up to be delivered to utah.
Well that check was almost 3, 000.00 price of dod was $350.00.
It was drawn on a bank in Cody Wyoming.I used to live there.I called the bank and was told that check was fraud.
Same as this one here from Mayville State Bank Mayville MI.
Just got off the phone with them.
Beware don't call numbers on check.Get the number for that bank from an operator or search the internet.Some people are disgusting.
Kathy
Ke
  10th of Jul, 2009
Got one today July 10th check and letter are dated the post mark is 7-7-09 postmark is canada cashiers check is from Franklin Security Bank Plains, PA check for the amount of 4995.00 routing number 862447391 account number 031376088 or 5657138914 check number 862447391 i am a small business operator, I was tempted to do this but with these tough times I am better off not to take the chance, after seeing this site I am glad i made the choice not to. I will frame this one and dream of someone sending me a check so big. Thank you! I only hopes this helps someone else.
Hi
  14th of Jul, 2009
On July 13, 2009, I received a check from this same company. The first thing I noticed was:

NO RETURN ADDRESS ON THE ENVELOPE
IT WAS UNSOLICITED (I DID NOT ASK FOR THIS COMPANY'S WORK)
NO WATERMARK ON THE "CHECK"
THE AMOUNT WAS VERY SUSPICIOUS, WAY TOO MUCH MONEY
THEY WANTED ME TO FORWARD MONEY BACK TO THEM
CANADIAN STAMP AND CANCELLATION

The first thing I did was go to my bank. I borrowed 4 sheet protectors (for the envelope, each document and the check) so that way, if the law enforcement officials want to dust the documents for fingerprints, there are mine and some elses.

I let the bank copy the documents then I went to the San Diego Police Department and gave them for investigation. I also had them make a copy for me so I can give it to the local paper and news stations so they can broadcast this on television.

If you ever get a check, even for a buck, check it out first then cash it after it's legal.

These guys thought I was stupid...nope, they are stupid because I took the steps (mentioned above) and now, if there are any fingerprints, they have evidence.

RULE NUMBER 1: Cover your butt.
RULE NUMBER 2: Don't trust ANYONE!
Ga
  30th of Jan, 2017
Got one today. They call themselves Shopper's Evaluation and even have a website and toll-free number.
The check is for $2375.00 in numbers and for Two thousand three hundred seventy five dollars and 75 cents written. That was one warning sign.
It is drawn on State Employees Credit Union and is supposedly a Cashier's Check.
It listed the remitter as Garrett Schultz (who is supposed to be employed by them as the Shopper's Advocate and the guy who supposedly hired me) and was signed by Rachel Johnson. Their website shows them to be in Michigan. He lists a phone number to reach him by text only 850-588-0465 which is in Tallahassee Florida. The return address on the envelope it came in was for Syneatra Lovett in Austin, TX.
I was supposed to deposit it only by mobile or ATM, and take out my payment of $265.00 and enough money to buy money orders to send the rest to the next shopper. I was also supposed to write up my impressions of the transaction and customer service at the bank and let them know if I was able to get the funds right away or if I had to wait. Wait, what...if I deposited it by ATM, how could I rate the customer service? LOL
I had to question why it was so complicated with getting money and sending it to another shopper and such when it would have been much simpler to just send me my pay. I have seen a few similar scams and this one set off many warning bells. It is pretty well done though and looks professional unless you look very closely. If you were not examining it closely, you could fall for it. I hope no one does.
Ed
  4th of Feb, 2017
@gail22567 I received a check from the same return address. The check is from resource one credit union in the amount I received a check from the same return address. The check is from resource one credit union of 2965.00. It was to do a car auto wrap for Redbull… Very convincing until I just noticed numerous complaints of the scam.
Ed