Shopper Rewards / Protect yourself!

This company uses a very common practice of sneaking their ads into an an online merchant website, and hacking your credit/debit account, while you conduct your merchant business. Which is exactly what happened to me.

I made an online purchase, back on March 2008, with a well-known sheet music company, for an amount of less than $20. Upon closing my purchase no sight or seen was mentioned about any 'trial' Shopper Rewards membership, otherwise I would have immediately refused such, since I don't use them. And I always carefully check my bank activity twice a month, so there are no problems whatsoever.

Suddenly, ten months later, recently, I discover two separate transactions posted to my account, under this company--but same address--and contacted them immediately. The woman told me it would take 7-10 business days for a refund and explained about sending them a WRITTEN notice of cancellation, including a copy of my banking or overdraft statement. I told her I was more than happy to oblige.

PLEASE... be very cautious when conducting even innocent looking merchant transactions online these days! Even PayPal has been noted for error banking transaction activity, and they are the largest online payment system, connected with Ebay. Watch out for those teeny, tiny solicit ads on any merchant website. They are sneaky, and some websites will inadvertently collect your Debit information for these ripoff purposes. At least with a Credit card, your bank can refund the activity right away. It's tougher with a Debit transaction.

Protect yourself!

Va

Comments

• La
      20th of Nov, 2008

They are not "Hacking" your account information from the retailer website. It was given to them willing by YOU!

YES YOU !

Its called not paying attention to the information they did provide on the retailer website. (REQUIRED BY LAW BY THE WAY) Even the Today show has discussed this, the information was there - YOU DID NOT BOTHER TO READ IT!

You either completed a survey, took advantage of money off your current order or failed to notice the pre-checked checkbox while checking out. Each option has an explanation that you will sign up for a free trail period - then automatically charge the same account you paid with.

I know because I have seen it and carefully chose not to do the survey, take the money off offer and made sure to uncheck the check box. Then I print out my order confirmation and write on it - DID NOT ACCEPT THE MEMBERSHIP PROGRAM.

I also send the retailer an email advising them to stop allowing these worthless membership programs to use their order process to sign up customers.

Based on the fact that most people don't bother to read the information right in front of them!