Shopper Discounts / Unauthorized charges to debit card

United States Review updated:

My husband had asked me about a charge on our bank statement from Shopper Discounts. I didn't know anything about it. We called the 800 number and canceled our membership (which we had never signed up for). I had looked up this company and it goes by different names (Webloyalty, ReservationRewards, BuyersInsurance, Travelvaluesplus, Walletshield, and Completesavings). This is NOT a BBB accredited company. Apparently they make their money by pop-up windows that appear after making purchases online and they charge your debit card $12.00. Pretty much, they're stealing money from your bank account. If you see any pop-up windows using any of the names above, STAY AWAY! THEY ARE THIEVES!

If this has happened to you, here is a link from the BBB with contact information on this company.

Ra

Comments

• Si
      14th of Jul, 2008
    Shopper Discounts - Internet scam through easyJet
    Reading
    England, Berkshire
    United Kingdom

Bought flight from easyjet in UK who offered me a future discount which I accepted - however what really happened was easyJet sent my credit card details to a discount club. Shopper Discounts then sent junk like email that was filtered by my email system. A couple of months later they billed my credit card £8 and have done so every month to be a member of a club I never wanted to join.

• St
      15th of Jan, 2009
    Shopper Discounts - Scamming ###!
    PO Box 855, CT 06484
    Shelton Connecticut
    Connecticut
    Phone: 800-889-8776
    shopperdiscountsandrewards.com

###s tell me that someone in my household signed up for this service. What service? I never received anything. I live alone with my dog, since when do miniature dachshunds steal your credit card and go online? New video coming out "pets gone wild".

• La
      15th of Jan, 2009

Its called taking a survey or $$ off your internet order and ignoring the disclosures that clearly state you are signing up for these programs.

YES You - while internet shopping.

The Today show did a piece about these membership programs based on viewer complaints - they went to every single website that the complaints were about - all the complaints claimed there was no indication of this programf and the TODAY Show found FULL DISCLOSURE on every site! - NO ONE EVER BOTHERED TO READ THEM.

YOU DID IT YOURSELF!

I always avoid those and make notes on my print outs that I did not take the survey or $$ off offers. Have not had a problem - BECAUSE I PAY ATTENTION AND READ WHAT IS IN FRONT OF ME!

22nd of Jan, 2009

Dear Stryker:

Webloyalty.com protects its reputation and monitorsthe blogosphere to ensure information posted on our company is truthful and accurate and to identify opportunities to assist our members. Through this monitoring, we found your comments posted here about our membership program, Shopper Discounts & Rewards.

We would like to speak with you directly to address your concerns but do not have your contact information. If you are unhappy with your subscription or have any questions regarding your membership to Shopper Discounts & Rewards, please contact Webloyalty.com Customer Service at 1-800-889-8776 or send an email message to [protected]@webloyalty.com. We will be happy to help you.

Regards,
    Mary O'Reilly
    Webloyalty Consumer Affairs
    Shopper Discounts & Rewards

• Di
      31st of Jan, 2009

web loyalty are scammers and from the response 'you did it to yourself' shows that they rely on stupid people like me, who by yes there own naievity trust companies such as easy jet and trainline.com who forward your details to this dispicable company. The answer is to never trust sites, read these forums, compalain if scammed.
    I'm sure ths company and the people who work for it have no problem using the money illegitimately received from the old, blind and disabled people and of course the stupid that don't check their bank statemnets for vermin stealing their money.

• Ca
      23rd of Feb, 2009

Yes, they are ### hole! BE CAREFUL shopper discounts is one of the most dangerous scam! I never look at my own bills always pay it online as I travel too much, until a few days ago my wife ask me what is shopper discount and why charged you so frequent? You never shop around why join such membership? I found out when I bought gift online for my wife they asked me to finish the shopping experience survey, then I got charged by them, ### Hole!!!~ !!! Anyone have been charged from them should tell the credit card company aware this company name plus report to BBB!!! Avoid more and more people get charged by this ### hole company!!!

14th of Apr, 2009

I have today also noticed that I have had £8 a moth deducted from my bank account since June 2017 and when I eventually fount a telephine number for shopper direct I was told that I or someone else must have booked a flight through Easy Jet in June and ticked the box ofefring a £10 discount. Upon doing this Easy jet then passed my bank account details to Shopper direct as I was seemingly agreeing to having £8 a month for life deducted from my bank. N0-one would agree to paying £8 a month for a £10 discount.Shopper direct have agreed to refund 3 months payments and are sending out a claim form to enable me to reclaim the rest of the money. In my opinion this is fraud and Easy jet should never have released my bank account details. For any-one in the UK looking to claim money back the tele/no is 08082341539.

• Wh
      28th of Apr, 2009

This also happened to us for the past 9 months from June/July of 2017. Thankfully, we got the refund, and that is probably why they are still in business. Do the following:

1)Call the number and talk with a representative to get two months of charges back.
    2)If you have been charged more than two months, tell them that you want all the money refunded. They will send you a form by email.
    3)Fill out the form and mail it to them, and honestly write down that you have never used their services.
    4)Hope that they'll refund the money within 30 days.
    5)Learn the lesson and check your bank/credit card statements item by item at least once every two months.
    6)And yes, nobody should be automatically enrolled in something that has recurring charges, without telling them to reenter the Credit Card information. This preys on the old, blind, busy, and trusting people.

• Ke
      22nd of May, 2009
    Shopper Discounts - Unauthorized Credit Card Charges
    Shopper Discounts & Rewards
    Iowa

I started receiving charges from Shopper Discounts on my son's college Citi card after he made a purchase online. He did not sign up for this awards program but I began seeing a $12.00 charge each month. After calling and complaining about the charge I was told the membership would end. It was
    only after I told the representative that I was going to file a complaint with the BBB that I was told that all charges would be refunded. The representative did not put up much of a fight so I guess they have been told to refund completely when challenged. That pretty much convinces me that this is a scam.

• Kr
      27th of Jun, 2009
    Shopper Discounts - Unauthorized Debit Card Charges
    shopperdiscountsandrewards.com

I made a small purchase from BUY.com in April. Today (6/26) I just noticed a $12.00 charge on my debit card from Shopper Discount with a telephone number. Upon investigating further, there was also a $12.00 charge in May. I called the number and was assured both charges would be credited to my account. I was told I signed up when I made a purchase through BUY.com, which I do not remember doing and would never do. My debit card number used for the BUY.com purchase was given to Shopper Discounts without my permission. They did not send me anything in the mail, no one called me to verify this charge, and when I looked at my email account, there were some spammy-looking emails from they I had deleted, which after opening and reading never mentioned a $12.00 charge, just the benefits of Shopper Discount. This is outrageous. This company is ripping people off every day. I'm glad I caught them so soon, it appears they have been charging some people for years without their knowledge. They need to be reported, and I'm doing just that.

• Sl
      30th of Jun, 2009

I monitor my debit card daily, therefore caught the charge before it even cleared. This didn't stop it from going through, as I have to sign a fraud affidavit before the bank will clear that charge...to be done today.

In addition, I've turned their name over to my attornies who put me in touch with the ID Theft service I have...Krull. If you know who they are, you know they mean business.

You see, I NEVER gave ANYone permission to put that charge on my debit card. NO one did. How do I know? That card has been in my possession 24/7 and I'm the only one who uses it. The charge was added to my card at 5:12 AM on a Tues morning. I work, therefore am asleep at that time of morning. I can't even remember the last time I was awake and functioning at that time of day.

They haven't heard the last of this. All who have had this happen need to band together and bring charges against these THEIVES!!! I'll certainly be happy to join you!

• Sm
      28th of Jul, 2009

I most recently was hit with this scam by shoppers discount. There were approximately 12 debits to my card. I called the 800 number and requestd that they refund me all the moeny back that was drafted from my account to include several overdraft fees. I also reported them to the Better Business Bureau of Connecticut. So far the onlything I recievd is an email telling me that the account has been closed and that I should expect a refund. I have not recieved any of my money back. Per the representative, it will take 3-5 business days. I will continue to persue some type of legal action until this company is out of business. I am asking that everyone that has been subjected to this scam file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau, and follow through will any type of legal action possible.

• Rr
      19th of Aug, 2009
    Shopper Discounts - not approving debit charges

my wife ordered tickets through FANDANGO and clicked the little box for $10.00 off of our next purchace...the next month we started getting charges from :SHOPPER DISCOUNTS 800-889-8776 and from RESERVATION REWARDS 800-732-7031...i let it slide for a few months because i didn't know what they were for(me bad)...i called up the discounts one today and they (SUPERVISOR MIKE ) told me that BOTH would be cancelled and a refund issued...
    going to the fandango site to complain to them i found # 41 on their F.A.Q. page saying they're not operating this scam and they're not making us sign up for it...
    that means just use the basic checkout for any web purchaces and DON'T click any extra boxes that promice anything...if you can't complete your purchace that way you didn't need to buy from them anyway(see me shaking my finger at my wife...LOL)

20th of Aug, 2009

Hi RRickets:

I just read your post and want to give you an official response on behalf of our company. It’s important to me that your concerns are addressed and that your issue is resolved. If you have questions or feedback, please contact our customer service team at 1-800-889-8776. Alternatively, you can contact me directly at [protected]@shopperdiscountsandrewards.com. If you contact me directly, please reference this post.

Thanks,
    Mary
    Consumer Affairs

• Fr
      26th of Aug, 2009

After 4 months, I found out Shoper Discounts has charge my debit card $12 per month. I don't know how they have my account no. ?? I call them yesterday 8/23 they told me that my menbership will be cancelled and I will get full refund from 3 to 5 days. I never buy anything or receive any service from Shopper Discounts but my debit account has been charged since May 24, June, July Aug. every month...

Anybody has the same situation been ripoff from Shopper Discounts or has received any refund from them ??? I have contact my Bank but they said nothing they can do to recover the monies been ripp-off by lousy scam Shopper Discounts.

Francis T.

California

• Sc
      2nd of Oct, 2009
    Shopper Discounts - FRAUD
    Florida

I am in Agreement with Shopper Discounts fraud $12 charge!!! If they turn you down on a refund, keep pushing! First she said she can only do one month refund, then as I mentioned BBB and fraud, she changed it to up to 6 months she can retro pay. She couldn't word the popup box exactly, proving that the offer is purposefully scamful. This is ridiculous attempt to scam people - but I'm figuring my husband clicked the $10 coupon offer. Be careful what you click!!!

• Sc
      2nd of Oct, 2009

Call them back...I just got 6 months paid back by being pushy on the issue...they wil do it!

• Kr
      19th of Oct, 2009

I do agree w/ the last statement she made "know what you sign up for." I think the people that are complaining about this are too ignorant to have a credit card. Why would you just check a box w/out know what it says? You have 30 days to use the service for free, then you can call them during business hours and stop the account if you do not wish to use it any longer. There are some very good deals online that you can use during that FREE 30 days. For the gentleman that his daughter is going to college and signed up for this, I fell for him. Because his daughter is only smart enough to get into a community college, and if she is going to a good college she should take some business classes before she is scammed by some real crooks. Having book sense and no street smarts isn't a good match, and having to pay $36.00 to learn a lesson is getting off pretty cheap. I do hope you let her handle this problem to show her how to take care of this or did you call them up yourself and deal w/ the problem? Oh that's right daddy handled it himself, I only hope you are w/ her for all the other scams that she will be confronted w/ in life. Let her learn to be responsible for her actions!

• Sf
      31st of Dec, 2009

I was checking over my November LLBean Visa statement and came across ShopperDiscounts...$12. I noticed it was out of CT. Well, in the first place, I subscribe to AARP magazine ONLY and NOTHING ELSE. In the second place, in 2017 Bank of America sold MY info to companies and the fraudulent charges I had on THAT card were from CT!!! This sent up warning signals and I called the LLB Card Services and she said, "Looks like you subscribed to a magazine..." I said, "OH, NO! Not again! I did NO SUCH thing and this is a FRAUDULENT charge!" She cancelled my Visa Card immediately and reissued a new one and said that my December bill has already been hit with ANOTHER $12 charge to ShopperDiscounts!!! She said I will not be responsible for those fraudulent charges and not to worry. Much different scenario than in 2017 when Bank of America accused me of LYING about the charges! They did a back peddle when after a month of investigating on my own...and found out THEY were selling customer info again after telling the government they would not do it anymore!
    People, I cannot stress the importance of THOROUGHLY CHECKING your monthly statements!!!

• Za
      30th of Jan, 2010

Amazon UK gave my credit card details to these people a couple years ago, and I'm still angry about it - the companies that were involved in this should make a public apology to their customers - nobody would agree to pay £8.00 a month for discount vouchers, kind of defeats the point of free coupons if you have to pay for them - handing over credit card information is just plain crooked like credit card skimming.

Note to self - Always use PayPal they never give your credit card information to third parties.

• Go
      1st of Jun, 2010
    Shopper Discounts - unaothorised bill

I got charged by this shopper discount when I ordered photo print outs. I realised it immediatly and I called the agency within a few minutes to cancel it. which they did on the telephone. BUT in reality, they continued to charge me for next 6 months. I was not careful enough to look at my credit card charge, when I realised, I called them to cancel immediatly.

• Da
      15th of Nov, 2010
    Shopper Discounts - Debit Card Scam
    Shopper Discounts/Webloyalty.com
    Fairland
    Indiana
    shopperdiscountsandrewards.com

Shopper Discounts.com is running one of the biggest debit and credit card scams on the internet. Recently my daughter went off to college. As a way to help her out we are providing additional funds for her and monitoring her bank account of any transactions. Recently while my wife was reviewing her account on-line she saw a charge to her debit card of $12.00. This same charge was occurring per month for the last several months to a company called Shopper Discounts.com. After looking in to why she was charged this fee, a representative of Shopper Discounts.com informed me that we have been charged $12.00 per month since February of 2017 when my daughter made a purchase with her debit card on-line from Best Buy. When she made the on-line purchase she was asked if she wanted a 10.00 rebate on the purchase that she had selected. She selected yes and when she did she was automatically signed up for a monthly Shopper Discounts membership at a cost of $12.00 per month without her authorization or knowledge. She has paid a total of 252.00 in membership fees to this company without knowing. I called and cancelled the membership and I am trying to get the money refunded. Beware of this company. It is one of the biggest debit card scams on the internet.

16th of Nov, 2010

Dear David:

I just read your post here on this forum and also a similar post on another online forum by your daughter. It's important to me that your concerns are addressed and that your issue is resolved. I'm going to send you a private email via this forum with more information. In the meantime, please don't hesitate to contact me at [protected]@shopperdiscountsandrewards.com.

Regards,
    Mary

• Go
      20th of Dec, 2010
    Shopper Discounts - charger on debit card
    Wisconsin

I bought a part from JC Whitney on line and some how I started receiving a charge for $12.00 per month, the card I used gets paid out of my Morgan Stanley account I never noticed the charge for 18 months. I called the company and all they would credit me was 4 months.
    I called JC Whitney about this and all they would comit is that they no longer use them.

• Mf
      13th of Jan, 2011

I have just discovered that you are taking £10 out of my account, I would like to know why please. I have not signed up for anything, I recently bought tickets for the theatre by phone so would like to know how this has happened and to stop it.