ShopNBC / Watch Quality

1 CA, United States Review updated:

I found the scam on how ShopNBC can sell $700 watches for $99. I was flipping channels in early December and stopped on ShopNBC. They were talking about a $300 watch they were selling for $99 and said they guaranteed not to run out during the show (which was almost over). I flip back a a minute later to see what other watches they were showing and the host goes, gee, we ran out of the $99 watch, so for the next 3 minutes were are substituting a $700 watch for the same price.

I order the watch online and it shows up a couple of weeks later. The case is red lacquer on mahogany and the inside of the case is custom fit for the watch. The curved crystal is optically perfect from any angle and the crown is screw-down. Everything is what you would expect from a $700 watch...except the side of the case has a small dent.

I am so impressed with the watch that I call ShopNBC and arrange for a replacement to be shipped out. What shows up is a plastic box that was not even designed to go with the watch. The pillow and watch were floating around in the box during shipment and dented up the plastic lining in the box. The watch crystal is so distorted that you can't tell what time it is unless you are perpendicular to the hands. The crown was a simple pull out that once pulled actually fell out of the watch.

So, what did I learn? Yes, there was a version of the watch that was $700 watches but what actually gets shipped to ShopNBC customers is a cheap knock off made by the same company. I would never have discovered this fact if they hadn't over promised on the original program and had to substitute a "real" watch to a handful of customers.

I sent the watch back and wrote an email to the show host, who claims to respond to all his email....no response. I found out their scam and now they want nothing to do with me.

Comments

• Ta
      21st of Oct, 2007
    ShopNBC - Extended Warranty

On October 17, 2017 I purchased a flat screen television from ShopNBC, unfortunately seven months later if stopped working. When I called to use the extended warranty service I purchased, I was told that the television was not covered until it was twelve months old. I was instructed to contact Tatung directly for coverage because the manufacturer covered the first twelve months of the products life. However, when I contacted Tatung I was told that Tatung did not cover their televisions unless the product were purchased directly from them, the manufacturer. So I went back to ShopNBC demanding that they do something about this broken television however they refused to fix the television and warned me to stop calling or they would refuse to fix the television after the twelve-month waiting period because they would consider it a pre-existing condition!

• Wi
      29th of Nov, 2007

Lie, ShopNBC would never tell a customer to stop calling..

9th of Jan, 2008
    ShopNBC - Stupidity!
    Newton Falls
    Ohio
    Phone: 330.872.1330

Purchased a LCD television from ShopNBC. Agent talked me into getting their credit card. First payment came through that card. I closed the card--didn't WANT it. Collections department called about a delinquent payment. The Supervisor, Brittany ext277,transferred balance to my VISA (Bank of America) credit card.

I get ANOTHER call the following month, from April, about a delinquent payment WITH a finance charge and late fee attached to the amount! I told her the balance was transferred to my VISA. She transferred it AGAIN and I called and spoke to Supervisor, Lacy, (extremely helpful!) The late fee was taken off ($29.00) but the finance charge was not ($5.66). I called AGAIN and spoke to Supervisor Vivian, she said she would credit me the $5.66 but unbeknown to me, it was credited to my CLOSED ShopNBC account! I get my VISA bill and there is that FINANCE CHARGE along with my payment amount. I called AGAIN and spoke to Supervisor Richard Gregory, he is going to send me a check to my home address instead of leaving it on the CLOSED ShopNBC for 4 weeks. He wasn't the most pleasant person. I will NEVER get another credit card that deals with GE BANK. Stick to making light bulbs...

Charlene Brandt.

15th of Jan, 2008
    ShopNBC - Awful customer service!
    84 watson way
    Fall River
    Massachusetts
    Phone: 508 674 9785

My wife got me a computer for xmas it worked two weeks then crashed, and no one seems to be able to help us from acer. So shopnbc will not take it back. Also it stated on tv that this was a brand new computer, not true this computer is a 2017 model. So now i am screwed. The people at shopnbc are rude they call 24/7 . So now i will start a lawsuit against them.

• Aa
      18th of Mar, 2008

ShopNBC has placed my credit card account with them in collections though it is and never has been in anything but good standing.

Have I called them to ask them to correct this problem. YES, 21 times.

The result? Never ending threatening, conciliatory and now settlement letters.

This place is seriously criminal and inefficient.

Never deal with ShopNBC or their credit card division.

• De
      18th of Mar, 2008
    ShopNBC - Phone payment never credited to account!
    993 sherbrook way
    Somerdale
    New Jersey
    Phone: 856-784-3628

We purchased tv from shopnbc. GE Money Bank received a check written from an old account, and the check bounced. When they called us, we gave them a debit card # and they withdrew the money from our account; yet never posted a credit on our card. Therefore, they say we still owe them money and keep tacking late fees and it is ruining my credit. The worst part is you can NEVER GET SOMEONE WHO SPEAKS ENGLISH TO TALK WITH. Why can't u have an option that if you press 1 for English, you can actually speak to an AMERICAN!!!

• Cy
      3rd of Apr, 2008

Easy remedy, as NBC has a vested stock interest in this company, allowing them to use the Peacock logo, I was able to have my money refunded for a TV which arrived busted. They wanted me to pay for returns etc. I was so angry I called NBC in NY, asked to speak with their legal dept. Now understand reputation is reputation, few people will pursue wrongs against them for many reasons. Explain to them what happened. I am almost certain your situation will be remedied. Focus on their affiliation and the points I mentioned. I personally stated that their peacock is a proud bird, however ShopNBC has turned it into an Ostrich. Worked for me!! Let me know how things work out.

• Cy
      3rd of Apr, 2008

English you say, LOL. I too have encountered hours of frustration. Shop NBC call center by the way is re-routred to India! Like many companies are doing, cheap labor.

• Ju
      3rd of Apr, 2008

Shop nbc call center is re-routed to home offices in the USA, not other countries. Most of the agents who take those calls are work at home professionals.

• Ca
      29th of Apr, 2008
    ShopNBC - Awful everything
    shopnbc
    po box29066
    Brooklyn Center
    Minnesota
    Phone: 9529436218

i buy an acercomputer at shopnbc on april 2017 the dvd-cd player writer never work then on june 12 the temporary window vista crash the computer stop working theshopnbc president Ward Taylor refused to accept to computer return or repair stating i m theone who suppose to buy a new window vista and pay for the repiar even the computer work patially for less then 2 months

carmelle

• Da
      25th of Jun, 2008

I was sent the wrong item by ShopNBC and when I asked for them to pay for the return they said I needed to take it up with the manufacturer. Gee, I bought it from ShopNBC and they charged my credit card, why should I take it up with someone else. The supervisor told me the same thing. I told AMEX that I was protesting the charge and they got ShopNBC to agree it was their fault and credit my card. Next thing you know I am getting several calls each day from their shlock collection agency (Central Porfolio). I still have the item as they never sent me the return label; what a bunch of ###s.

• Vi
      12th of Jul, 2008

To Cynthia - Finally someone used common sense about complaining to NBC itself! Since this company uses the NBC logo, complain to NBC. Go to http://www.nbcuni.com/About_NBC_Universal/Executive_Bios/ and you will find what the list of executives. Note that on this webpage, SHOPNBC is listed under shopping! So I say call Jeff Zucker (the CEO) at 818-840-4444.
    Note that GE owns NBC! So you can also call GE but I think you will get further contacting CEO of NBC.
    Best,
    Vi

7th of Aug, 2008

Agree,

I ordered a watch, it came, Chronograph not working on a new watch, scrathes on the leather strap. Ws promised a return label and but never arrived. Now, i am unable to return it. The damn thing doesnt work.

First and last experience with Shopnbc.

I think they have bad quality products that they ship out knowingly to Customers, in the hope, that some wont bother to return and the others that do return will not get the their refund back or atleast they wont get the shipping back.

NEVER FALL FOR SHOPPING ON SHOPNBC. Kick yourself if you do.

• Va
      15th of Aug, 2008
    ShopNBC - Terrible experience
    shopnbc.com

After 4 or 5 months of occasional usage, a 37' Protron HDTV I purchased thru ShopNBC started smoking from back. ShopNBC officials refused any refund on this item even though they touted it on their network and sold, I'm sure, thousands of these shoddy items. No one will repair them, no parts are available for them, and still Shop NBC refuses to acknowledge their responsibility to the buyers.

I´d like to hear from others in my boat and hear their experiences with ShopNBC and know if there is any venue for redress of this fraud.

• Li
      27th of Sep, 2008

I purchased my acer in December 07 and have had problems after the first month thru today 9-27-08. I have sent in my comp 2 at my expense and have to drive 2 hrs if I want to get "free" shipping. They have replaced the motherboard, hardrived twice, LCD, and the memory they sent me-- they say is third party and not theirs!!! They even left a burn mark on my notebook. I call and I call and the average call is 40 minutes to the record breaker 2 hrs this week. I asked the rep how many times I had to send in my computer before they see its defective? She eagerly replied that there was no limit to how many times I can send it in! WOW I do not like ACER at all.

• Va
      7th of Oct, 2008
    ShopNBC - Awful everything
    shopnbc.com

We bought a Intel-Celeron laptop from ShopNBC in Oct 2017 to use when on vacation and after maybe 30 hours of use it died. We took it to a repairman and learned that the computer have insufficient cooling and it burned out the processor. ShopNBC of course feels they should not be held responsible and they informed us they don't even use that manufacturer anymore and are aware that there were problems. Also there was absolutely no customer support from the manufacturer you couldn't ever reach anyone. We are out $1200 and I used to recommend ShopNBC to friends but never will again... I might as well have just mailed them a $1200 check for no reason... Shame on you SHopNBC for taking selling junk and somehow I believe you probably knew it was junk. Beware if you purchase anything from ShopNBC once they have your money they could care less... They have lost a long time customer in me and I will be sure to warn others about the below garbage merchandise they peddle on their TV and online sells program.

• Mc
      15th of Jan, 2009
    ShopNBC - Credit Card
    ShopNBC

ShopNBC charged me the total ($1500) for a fur/wool scarf that I inquired about on flex-pay. Because of prior problems with ShopNBC (order entry and credit card departments), I called to make sure item was not ordered.
    10 days later $1500 apx. was taken out of my checking account and they mailed the scarf. This happened while I was out of town.
    ShopNBC is a terrible company and even if you return merchandise with insurance and tracking, you'll have to fight to get your money back. Stay away! Very terrible company.

• Fe
      5th of Feb, 2009
    ShopNBC - Business Practices
    North Carolina

There are hundreds of complaints on the Internet about ShopNBC yet they continue to do business. I recently purchased a watch with a rubber strap and had a serious allergic reaction to it the first day I wore it. I immediately called them and said I was sending it back. So I mailed it with the pre-printed return label they provided. Three weeks later, and six calls, they say they have no knowledge of the watch because the pre-paid label sent it back directly to the vendor, Swiss Watch International, not back to them. In one of my many frustrating calls, I told them I bought the watch from them, not their vendor. They said if I did not have a tracking number they could not hep me. But, they did not request that I send it back with special tracking (extra expense) as they did not send it to me that way. They told me there was nothing they can do and did not even apologize about the hives I developed from the rubber strap. Another time I called a customer service rep that they would call Swiss Watch International and call me back, that never happened. Anther customer service person on another day I called said the same thing, that never happened. The Web has tons of information about rubber allergies yet they post no product warnings on their online shopping site. I even told them I was going to call the FDA and the Customer Service supervisor said "go ahead, that's your right." They need to be stopped, the volume of complaints suggests that something must be done!!!

16th of Feb, 2009

i received a letter from shop nbc stating that you will have to limit my shopping privileges because i have just about returned everything that i have ordered from your company, and that i haven't been making any purchases. well don't you people get the hint. i guess you want to be verbually kicked in the teeth. please please please limit my buying power with your company in fact cancel it altogether. it gets me how your hostess can have the guts to get on air and sell this overpriced junk. when your company first started you had the best jewlery any one can buy, now it is overpriced looks like something that comes out of those penny gumball machines. and from the other comments i have read iam most certainly glad that i never purchased any kind of electronic item from you. i have found out that your company is dishonest your shipping and handling is a joke and if you have to send something back it takes months for you to take it off of our charge cards.and customer service is a joke. welll did your get enough. will i did of your shop nbc. start doing better towards the public and mabey we will try and one day give this company another chance. clean up your act.

• St
      24th of Sep, 2009
    ShopNBC - Do not stand behind their products
    shopnbc.com

We ordered a 56' DLP Television from Shop NBC. It cost over $2300.00. They offered no extended warranty after the 1 year manufacturers warranty - which did us no good as Vivitek wouldn't honor it since we actually purchased from Shop NBC? We found out after we purchased it that we could find NO ONE to offer us an extended warranty ion it - not even Sears - which lets me add all appliances and electronics to my extended warranty plan.

The 'lamp/bulb' only lasts a year if that and it cost $200 to replace. Shop NBC could care less - won't assist in helping you to reach Vivitek to get service, etc. We called Vivitek and all they will do is send expensive parts - even if it has nothing to do with whats wrong?! They can't even help you to find a repairman to fix the TV or put in the parts.

I will NEVER buy anything from Shop NBC again. I think if they offer a product like this - they should stand behind it. Its a huge investment and now just sits dark - until we can afford to get another one.