Shop Digital Direct / scam,grey market?,bait&switch

1 all sites related on diduprice, United States Review updated:

I really wanted to buy a camera at the price shown but, I stopped to read the reviews. I am so grateful to the reviewers!!! I called Shop Digital Direct just to see and they are a scam. DO NOT BUY from them!!!
Please read the other complaints. I did ask them about the complaints, they said it was jealousy from other companies. They put me on hold at that point and never came back. I called back and when the guy realized it was me again. he said, "Oh, #@&%*"...

D

Comments

• Tr
      20th of Jul, 2008
    Shop Digital Direct - Bad shopping experience
    Shop Digital Direct
    Unknown
    Unknown
    New York
    Phone: 1-888-313-7468
    www.shopdigitaldirect.com

I was trying to order a package of Canon EOS 40D camera from Shop Digital Direct recently. First, it was really hard to speak with someone over the phone. Even I got a chance, and then I was put on hold for more than 20 min. One man from the store tried to sell me more expensive package or add more staffs which I don't need, and told me that the product I asked for was not in a US version. If I need one of American version, I need to pay $299 more! Such a "game" and lie! After I side that I can use non-US version of the product, then I got an answer "we don't have that one you asked for"!!! Looking at all these lies, the only purpose was not to serve customers, but try to get more money from you. - This was my bad shopping experience with Shop Digital Direct. I hope that you don't become another victim.

• Wi
      22nd of Jul, 2008

i had bad experience w this company. ive been order sony vplaw 15 sony projector. after i place my order they send me order confirmation. and fter 3 business . i called them back regarding my order they said "backorder" i have to wait 6 to 8 weeks to get my order. they not even send me email about "status" of my order.
    i looked at on their website i saw them raise the price for vplaw 15, i called them and i said i gonna buy this sony over the phone n he said he had this product, and try to get his name n the phone just hung up. i tried to call him back and igot connected again.. i ask him if he have this sony n he said "yes"... and then i told him that i been place an order online.. he just right away say.. "we out of this product" and he hung up the phone. its bad experience that i have.. i dont know what kind of educational level that their customer service have it.

22nd of Jul, 2008

I just had the same thing happen. Called these people to check on the availability of the Canon Rebel XTi. I wanted the $299 camera body only they advertised. The rep said that I was looking for the "Chinese" version, not the US. He said that it would take 6-8 weeks to order, but he had the higher cost US version ready for immediate shipping. $299 more. I said I would wait the 6-8 weeks for the $299 version. The next day I got an e-mail which said to call Ken. When I called I was told that I couldn't buy the $299 camera body unless I bought 40 of them. They would only sell me a $600 package. I cancelled the complete order.

• Ny
      23rd of Jul, 2008

I also had a similar experience today. I wanted to buy Nikon D300, but their price was considerably less expensive than others. I called them to make sure if the product is brand new. I talked to a guy, but he just said "Yes. have a good day, sir" and hanged up on me although our conversataion was not finished. I decided not to buy anything from them. I would rather pay extra hundreds and be fully satisfied with my decision.

• To
      23rd of Jul, 2008

I wish to see these complaints about this gimmick website before I order. This "company" is located in Brooklyn, NYC. I tried to buy the Canon EOS 40D packag#6 which is listed on its website is $729 yesterday but after I put the order online and called back to check my order status. One guy on the phone told me package is "upgrade" to $1400. And it was put it on my credit card already. I called back to find out what's going on, I have to wait for 15 min to get one man answered the phone but he put me on hold again even before I gave him the order comfirmation number! Then he played same game again: 10 min late answer the phone then put you on hold before you talk! Definitely I won't buy anything from this kind of company.

• Fr
      24th of Jul, 2008

Shop Digital Direct is certainly not legitimate. After ordering a Canon camcorder on-line, I called to confirm the order. They hung up on me immediately after my request to confirm. I called back and was told it would be sent right away, and was offered batteries and some sort of software the rep claimed was needed to operate the camera. When I told him I didn't, he immediately reversed his postion, and said the camera was unavailable for at least 6-8 weeks. Requests for the name of the reps with which I spoke were ignored. I told him I wanted to cancel. He sounded upset at that point, and said the cancellation was done. When I asked for his name to confirm cancellation, he said, "Teddy Roosevelt, sir", and immediately hung up. Isn't there a famous president by that name? What are the odds...?

• Ro
      26th of Jul, 2008

I wanted to buy the Canon XSi. By the time they got done with me they sold me the Canon xti with a sigma lens and some accessories. Placed the order with Nate. I wasn't feeling very comfortable with the order and cancelled it within the hour. However, the next day I get an email confirmation stating they sent out the camera and also billed my credit card $1299.00 I called them that day and they said they order was cancelled and they would not bill my card. I had to send in dispute to my card carrier. The package was refused by us and received back in Brooklyn. I am sure I will resolve this with my credit card company but this company is a bunch of bait and switch artists. DO NOT BUY FROM THEM EVER!!!

• Do
      30th of Jul, 2008

Glad to see all the comments, because I was about to buy Nikon D300 from them for that considerable low price. Thank you all!

• Ro
      30th of Jul, 2008

THE CLASSIC BAIT AND SWITCH !!! DO NOT BUY FROM SHOP DIGITAL DIRECT !!!
    I called this outfit but definitely should have checked them out on the net first. I attempted to purchase a Canon Rebel XTI. The price was 649.00.
    By the time they were done the bill was 1299.00, added a different lens, filters, battery, etc. I had a bad feeling about this transaction and called back within the hour to cancel the transaction. I was told by sales rep the order was cancelled. The next day I get an email from UPS saying the camera is on the way and my credit card was charged. I called the next day and a sales rep confirmed the order was cancelled. Never happened I refused the package and it was returned to them. I think they hope you open the package even if you return it so they can charge you the restocking charge. I can't believe with all the complaints against these folks the state of New York hasn't put a stop to them.
    AGAIN DON'T BUY CAMERA EQUIPMENT FROM SHOP DIGITAL DIRECT OR ANY OTHER OF THESE NEW YORK CAMERA DEALERS. CHECK THE WEB FOR COMPLAINTS AND YOU WILL FIND MORE THEN YOU NEED TO MAKE A GOOD DECISION.

NOTE: MY CREDIT COMPANY STATES THEY KNOW OF THESE PEOPLE AND IT HAPPENS ON REGULAR BASIS.

• Be
      2nd of Aug, 2008

Thanks guys, I was plan to order few items from them. Now, I give up.

• To
      5th of Aug, 2008

Looks like this is a scam.
    Instead to charge $ 2800 they was trying to charge $ 3900 from my credit card. When I called them, the said, ok that was a mistake, they recalculate, it was finaly much less. But, in this price they include 8% salex tax. I'm not in New York, so...they said now is new government policy so I have to pay taxes. So, thew was trying to cheat on me !!! Customer services was talking funny to me. Worse experience ever for online shopping. Worse company.
    NEVER BUY FROM THIS COMPANY !!!
    They a gettint your credit card information...

• Br

NEVER BUY FROM THEM !!!
    Here is the return address on the box, none on the invoice

WAREHOUSE
    (719) 627-6066
    INF/MRAC/JK
    1965 MCDONALD AVENUE
    BROOKLYN NY 11223

Here is address on Second box

SHOPDIGITALDIRECT
    (888) 313-7468
    WAREHOUSE #5
    BROOKLYN, NY 11223

• Gt
      5th of Aug, 2008

Total rip off. They totally wasted my time. I ordered the VPL-AW15 Sony projector. I got an email asking me to call them, I called and this obnoctious idiot of a person called KEN stated "you know this projector comes without a bulb !!", and quoted an additional $600.00. SO I cancelled my order, then he started making snide remarks to me over the phone, what a jerk...How this guy can go to work each day planning to rip off people is a disgrace, he has no conscience whatsoever.. Grow up Schizo "KEN"...

• Ju
      7th of Aug, 2008

I purchased a camera they had on their website and when they called to confirm the order the sales person named Chris tried to sell me the original lens for an extra $600.00 along with other factory parts. They are baiting and switching. I told him I guess I would just try to find the camera somwhere else and he got an attitude and threw in some rude comments. I then told him to kiss my ### and cancel my order, the coward he hung up on me and I did not receive a cancellation confirmation via email. I called back and was on hold for over 25 minutes. Finally when someone answered they transferred me to the coward salesperson Chris and he said "You are the little ### that cursed me yesterday" then hung up again. I called back and waited on hold until a so-called supervisor/manager came to the phone and told him what happened and instead of simply apologizing he told me I was in the wrong and I started it. So it was easy to see that no one at shopdigitaldirect has any sense or customer service skill so I reported their little scam to the feds since I worked in investigations and knew a litle about their operation and how it crossed state lines. Everyone that reads this should report them to the authorities if they have had a similar experience.

• La
      7th of Aug, 2008

Thanks everyone for the "HEADS UP" on this company and the way it does business, I heard that a company called, "Photo Dynasty" is run by the same people.

I was going to call and order a pro hd video camera from them because their prices were so good, almost too good I thought, so I decided to see if there were any complaints about them, and found this site.

I will NOT buy from this company after reading SO MANY complaints here, I appreciate those who took the time to warn the rest of us!

I recommend to those of you who posted complaints, to email this page to the NY State Attorney General's office along with a letter, to notify them of this company and it's tactics.

Thanks Again-

• Kj
      11th of Aug, 2008

I had exactly the same thing happen with three companies today - EXACTLY - and would not be surprised if they are all run by the same person. They are so rude and arrogant.

86th Street Photo
    Photo Dynasty
    Shop Digital Direct

I was trying to order the Canon HDV30 - around 700-800 everywhere else - but these three shops had it for around $339. They did the hard hard sell, I ignored it and was then put on back order for 3-4 weeks. It is just too much of a coincidence.

• Ra
      12th of Aug, 2008

Shop Digital Direct is a rip off company.

They have a rip-off charge of $150 or “processing fee”. This is false representation. They are selling something Sony as new without a battery which demonstrated the packaging has been opened/tampered. They have the low publicized “price” which is false advertising and mis-representation of Sony and your company Shop Digital Direct to the public.

• Je
      12th of Aug, 2008

What are u suppose to do when you have already ordered your product???
    I ordered it a week ago. I havent recieved it nor has my card been charged. Im so bummed now :(

• G
      12th of Aug, 2008

I just purchased a Sony HD-SR12 from Shop Digital Direct and I should have known better because this specific camcorder runs well over $1, 000 and of course they had it for $549.00 with free shipping and a bunch of free products. Well to say the least they got me. We placed the order online and felt really good i received an e-mail immediatly after the purchase, it had all the correct info ect... Then yesterday I get an email saying that they just wanted to confirm my order for proccessing and that my card would not be charged until product was shipped. A few hours later I get a call from "Chris", he is calling to confirm my order and ask if I would like to add a battery to my order since it did not come with the camera(flag #2). I told him no I will get it through sony directly, then he asked if I was intrested in a package deal. I told him no. without a good bye or anything he hangs up. Well today i get another e mail stating that my camera is no longer in stock and it will take 6-8 weeks to arrive and I will be notified once its there. My card will not be charged and have a good day. So what's the first thing I do... Check my account. The transaction is still proccessing and has not been cancelled. So now I have called my bank to notify them of this charge and I have to get a new one because those ### have my info on file.

Just to warn everyone there is also another website out there.
    soniccameras.com
    sonic cameras

I kept looking for my camcorder cause this one fell through and i came across this website. It had the exact same deal as shopdigitaldirect.com so i decided to call and make sure they were not a sister site. I asked if they had any affiliation with shop digital direct and he said no and quickly said hold on. Then when he got back on the phone he stated that they (sonic cameras) only had one website. And quickly asked me what i was shopping for. I told him and he asked if I was just getting the camera or the package deal. I told him "oh, so u do have the camcorder there in store ready for shipping?" he then hung up on me. So then i called shop digital direct and guess who answered?

For future refrence dont just think u are getting a great deal on something. Research first. That way u dont have to get a new credit card.

• Jb
      13th of Aug, 2008

First off I would like to thank everyone for taking the time to write these reviews and saving potential buyers, myself included, the time and headache that comes with dealing with these scam artists.

Second, after some extensive research I would like to let others know that Shop Digital Direct falls under a company umbrella that operates under many other names, including;

Best Price Camera
    Best Stop Camera
    C.I.S. Brokerage Inc.
    C.I.S. Trading System
    Century 21
    CIS Brokerage Inc.
    CityWideDigital.com
    Crystal International Services Inc.
    Digital EBuys
    Mr. Accessory
    PhotoDynasty.com
    Razz Photo
    Regency Camera
    Regency Photo & Video, Inc.
    ShopDigitalDirect.com

Also, beware of these other companies I've encountered in reviews who seem to operate in the same fashion:

1. One Way Photo (AKA Lenses N More)

2. FotoConnection (AKA TVsDepot, TheWizStore.com, ePhotoClub, 1stopcamera.com, Inoax.com, TheNewConnection, Rite Buys)

3. Broadway Photo / A&M Photo World, (AKA Regal Camera, Prestige Camera, Preferred Photo, Royal Camera)

4. Camera Addict

All I wanted was to make a simple camera body purchase when I came across a deal that seemed too good to be true. With credit card in hand I somehow snapped out of it and decided to take a step back. I am glad I did. One review site led to another and another until the truth started to unfold. Now my obsession with finding the best price has become an obsession to finding a REPUTABLE DEALER with the best price.