Ship-American.com / Scam and rip off!

Found a 'too good to be true' bike for sale. An $8,000 bike being sold for $2500. The seller states that he is in Alaska on an oil rig with no phone contact available. He sends an email stating that the bike is currently held with SHIP-AMERICAN, a holding company. You are then told that you will need to send the money via Western Union to London England. Once the money gets to them, they will ship the bike to your door within 72 hours.

The SHIP-AMERICAN website (http://www.ship-american.com/index.php) looks real, but was told that the company does not have telephone service available since they are getting a new provider.

I performed a WHO-IS on the website and found that the domain was registered in Beijing.

This looks to me like an elaborate scam.

Va

Comments

• Br
      31st of Jan, 2008
    Ship-American.com - This is a scam!
    Ship-American.com
    United Kingdom
    www.ship-american.com

I've been told the same exact thing. I was being sold a 2005 yamaha R6 which books for $6400 and was being sold to me for $1880! The website doesn't have any phone numbers and the guys name is alex wilson according to him. He emails from an AOL.com email.

• He
      31st of Jan, 2008

It is a scam!
    google it...see my post on yahoo.
    found a guy asking for ship-american and found exact letter posted on his question (only change was bike and name from seller).
    ship american is a real company, but SHIP-AMERICAN is a non existent company.

scam works in a way that the western union can be cashed any where in the world once you tell them Exactly the name of sender and the track number....no need to be the person to whom the money goes to and no need to even be the same city or country...

please keep posting on the web about this scam and REPORT IT TO c3 internet scam/fraud from the FBI web site.

• Mi
      11th of Feb, 2008

I too fell for it i sent my money and i never got the bike!!!

• Ni
      15th of Feb, 2008

IT'S DEFINITELY A SCAM.. I JUST WENT THROUGH THE SAME EXACT THING... IT WAS A 2006 WHITE CBR 1000.. IT WAS POSTED ON WWW.CYCLETRADES.COM. HE SAID HIS NAME WAS ALEX WILSON AND THE WHOLE BIT ABOUT ALASKA... PLEASE POST THIS EVERYWHERE

• Ty
      16th of Feb, 2008

I just got the same e-mail just yesterday. i was also looking on the cycletrades.com web site and found a 2005 honda cbr1000rr for $2400.00. sounded to goood to be true, so i started looking around trying to find the ship-american.com company and found you guys who were good enough to post the complaints. i thank you all for doing so. i am sorry to hear about thoose who went through with it. i am going to do everything i can to take this guy or company down. they took my dream from me and trashed it. not nice!!! it has been my dream for some years to own a bike and find it for a good price. i thought i had done that but i guess not. the guys name i got was Matt Gregerson. went to alska to work on oil rig!!!! please feel free to e-mail me on this matter anytime. i will post this every were i can. thanks again guys you all saved me lots of money i don't have to spend.

• Ro
      16th of Feb, 2008

I checked this company out as well. I got the same Alaska story here is the e-mail they gave me:

Re: 2006 yamaha 50th anniversary‏
    From: JosephMummert@aol.com
    Sent: Fri 2/15/08 8:29 PM
    To: ruan99@hotmail.com

Hello,

First of all, let me introduce myself: my name is Joseph Mummert and I work as an engineer on a oil rig.
    Now let me introduce the bike I'm selling:

2006 Yamaha YZF R1. Very clean bike, like new, with only 1346 miles. The price is $2400.

I'm selling the bike because I have recently moved to Alaska (due to the nature of my job) and I was unable to carry it with me.
    Also, I wouldn't have time or the conditions to ride it anymore.
    Since I didn't have the time to sell the bike before moving, I left it back home, in the custody of a shipping company: SHIP-AMERICAN
    The bike was inspected by them and it is ready to be sold and shipped.

Please visit the following link to see how this service works and also to verify that the bike is in their custody, clear and clean, and ready to go:

You can use this link: http://www.ship-american.com/Tracking.php and then enter the following tracking number: LSBK78781706
    - then you will see all details about the bike.

If you decide to close the deal, the shipping company will act as a third party, you will send the money to SHIP-AMERICAN, they will ship it to you and the bike will arrive to your door in 72 hours.

You can choose up to 30 days for inspection period. SHIP-AMERICAN will secure your deposit during the inspection period, and they will release the funds to me only when the inspection period will be over and you will confirm that you don't intend to return the bike.

The shipping fees will be covered by me and deducted by the shipping company from the price of the bike, at the end of the transaction.

If you agree to these terms, please let me know so we can start the transaction.

Joseph Mummert

hope people keep sending complaints so we can stop these kind of scams.

19th of Feb, 2008

I too was was scammed. 2400 dollars. on sat. feb 16. What do we do and who do we contact? Is there a way to get the money back? Help people please!!!

• Ar
      25th of Feb, 2008

Here is the e-mail that i got back from this guy. I knew it was too good to be true. (DANG IT)Got suspicious when he replied about the wrong bike with a different name. I didn't get ripped off though. THANK YOU guys for posting this complaint. you have saved me $1800 dollars. This guy goes as Joseph Mummert, and Greg Bulgin

Re: Yamaha R1- yellow
    From: JosephMummert@aol.com
    Add contact
    Sent:Mon 2/25/08 1:49 PM
    To: aps_mierda2001@msn.com

Hello,

First of all, let me introduce myself: my name is Greg Bulgin and I work as an engineer on a oil rig.
    Now let me introduce the bike I'm selling:

2006 Suzuki GSX R 1300 Hayabusa. Very clean bike, like new, with only 3000 miles. The price is $2500.

The bike was inspected by them and it is ready to be sold and shipped.

You can use this link: http://www.ship-american.com/Tracking.php and then enter the following tracking number: DHTD92643795

Greg Bulgin

• Re
      27th of Feb, 2008

This is 100% a scam. You can click on the "VeriSign" logo and notice that it comes from www.ship-american.com, it is supposed to come from the Verisign website. Same with the eTrust logo.

WARNING: YOU WILL LOSE YOUR MONEY.

• Da
      28th of Feb, 2008

I'm so glad that i searched the ship-american scam. Iwas one DAy away from attepting to purchase a none existing 2007 Honda CBR 600 RR Thank you so much for saving me $2900.

• Ni
      28th of Feb, 2008

I GOT THE SAME EMAIL YESTERDAY! Once I started emailing back trying to get more information, I didn't hear from them again. I believe there's another website that's a scam (www.couriers-division.com)

Hello,

First of all, let me introduce myself: my name is Matt Gregersen and I work as an engineer on a oil rig.
    Now let me introduce the bike I'm selling:

2005 Honda CBR 1000RR. Very clean bike, like new, with only 5743 miles. The price is $2400.

The bike was inspected by them and it is ready to be sold and shipped.

You can use this link: http://www.ship-american.com/Tracking.php and then enter the following tracking number: WJIP05587002

• Bo
      28th of Feb, 2008

i too was hook sent e-mail and all but it didn't seem right after a week of thinking, the money came up, so i decided to investigate some more case come on it REALLY WAS TO GOOD TO BE TRUE. THAT. Then i found this site where i got the same Alaska story i ask him can i see it before i pay this was his response............................

Hello,

Please use Ship American, you will have the opportunity to check the bike BEFORE Ship American will forward the funds to me.
    If you don't approve it, they will get it back and FULLY REFUND you.

I'm waiting for you to start the transaction if you really want the bike.

Regards,
    Matt

That and the fact that i could not find a phone number nor a map of the place which led me here, i sure hope you guys that. sent money some how get it back cause its a dream of mine to have a bike ...

The bike was inspected by them and it is ready to be sold and shipped.

You can use this link: http://www.ship-american.com/Tracking.php and then enter the following tracking number: OAQN84452392

Matt Gregersen

I sure hope the alpha bet boys get these guys

4th of Mar, 2008

I was about to purchase two seperate bikes. That could have been very spendy for me. I was just about to go through with this transaction. I am glad I found this blog. Thank you to all who placed this. For those who were taken by this guy I hope someone gets him for you.

• Ad
      6th of Mar, 2008

BEWARE OF THIS ###!!!!! ---I also got hooked on the ad placed by this ###. I asked my wife to research the "shipping company" because she said it was too good to be true. I started the transaction by emailing him and this is what I received on March 5, 2008:

Hi,

I have just agreed with the transaction. I've changed the down payment to $1200 (half of the price) because I want to be sure you are a serious buyer!

All you have to do now is to log into your account and check the transaction for the payment info

AFter that go to a Western Union agent in your town and ask for a sending money form. Fill it in using the payment information you have from ship-american.com (the receiver information), and you will receive the MTCN which you have to enter into your escrow account. The agent will validate the payment and notify the warehouse to ship you the bike

After the payment is completed and ship-american.com has validated it,they will ship you the bike (usually in the same day)

I will support the western union sending money fees so please deduct the WU fees from the total (send $1200 minus WU fees, I already informed themabout this)
    Bike will arrive aT YOUR DOOR IN 24-48 HOURS AFTER THE PAYMENT IS VALIDATED

I also have one more favor to ask of you.
    When you are sending the money, please tell the agent that it is going to a FRIEND so that I can save some taxes.

Thank you, and it's been a pleasure!

8th of Mar, 2008

I recently received a second email about someone working on a oil rig. The first one was from Matt Gregersen, the second is from Larvin Webb. I have enclosed the email I sent to Larvin.

Hey Larvin,
    That's a great story, but for some reason I think I've heard it before. Matt and yourself must work on the same oil rig. Where do you guys get all these motorcycles from? Let me guess, there are no motorcycles. I hope you get caught soon.

Best Regards

To:
    Subject: Re: Motorcycle

First of all, let me introduce myself: my name is Matt Gregersen and I
    work
    as an engineer on a oil rig.
    Now let me introduce the bike I'm selling:

2005 Honda CBR 1000RR. Very clean bike, like new, with only 5743 miles.
    The
    price is $2400.

I'm selling the bike because I have recently moved to Alaska (due to
    the
    nature of my job) and I was unable to carry it with me.
    Also, I wouldn't have time or the conditions to ride it anymore.
    Since I didn't have the time to sell the bike before moving, I left it
    back
    home, in the custody of a shipping company: SHIP-AMERICAN The bike was
    inspected by them and it is ready to be sold and shipped.

Please visit the following link to see how this service works and also
    to
    verify that the bike is in their custody, clear and clean, and ready to
    go:

You can use this link: http://www.ship-american.com/Tracking.php and
    then
    enter the following tracking number: LKOC17580842
    - then you will see all details about the bike.

If you decide to close the deal, the shipping company will act as a
    third
    party, you will send the money to SHIP-AMERICAN, they will ship it to
    you
    and the bike will arrive to your door in 72 hours.

You can choose up to 30 days for inspection period. SHIP-AMERICAN will
    secure your deposit during the inspection period, and they will release
    the
    funds to me only when the inspection period will be over and you will
    confirm that you don't intend to return the bike.

The shipping fees will be covered by me and deducted by the shipping
    company
    from the price of the bike, at the end of the transaction.

If you agree to these terms, please let me know so we can start the
    transaction.

larvinwebb@aol.com wrote:
    Hello,

First of all, let me introduce myself: my name is Larvin Webb and I work as an engineer on a oil rig.
    Now let me introduce the bike I'm selling:

2004 Suzuki GSXR 600. Very clean bike, like new, with only 2600 miles. The price is $2900.

The bike was inspected by them and it is ready to be sold and shipped.

You can use this link: http://www.ship-american.com/Tracking.php and then enter the following tracking number: AVUV22614201

Larvin Webb

• Ju
      9th of Mar, 2008

Hello I also had a dean f owning a bike but someone just broke it because it was just a scam I actually sent the money on sat. 8, 08 but that night I started researching and found this web site thank u guys. I rapidly call western union and cancel the transfer, hope to get my money back. Thank u guys now let me know how to catch this guy.

• Vu
      10th of Mar, 2008

Almost fell for it. Best Advice-READ the WESTERN UNION warning about sending monet to someone you don't know. LLISSADIPPO (probably an acronym for he's a dip ### for any suckers who fall into their trap) phished my email while shopping online for an Aprillia. 2004 RSV Mille for $2900. Engineer on an oil rig in Alaska, same story as noted above. Grover Kramer in London would receive my W.U. payment. Researched llissadippo online and found the Aprillia add on 50+ YAKAZ Advertising sites. SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM. WHERE IS THE FTC AND OTHER TAX SUPPORTED CONSUMER PROTECTION AGENCIES???? PROBABLY LOOKING FOR OSAMA??

• Cl
      18th of Mar, 2008

I just about fell for it too, same Lisa Dippo for the same Aprilia. I am so pissed.

• Ke
      18th of Mar, 2008

Found this site 10 minutes after recieving a suspicious email about an 05 CBR. Same oil rig and everything. All the engineers there must have left their bikes at home to be sold. Glad I did some homework.

• Na

DON'T FALL FOR IT...
    I've never bought anything on line before, but i have a sister who lives in the city where the the seller claims the shipping company is... The address from the web-site is real but the facility has NOTHING TO DO WITH SHIPPING AND/OR HOLDING BIKES FOR SALE!!!