Shelter Insurance / Screwed by Shelter Insurance

Richardson, TX, United States Review updated:

On November 30th, 2008, I was rear-ended at a stop light in Ft. Worth, TX. The driver of the vehicle was from Oklahoma, and was covered by Shelter Insurance of Edmond, OK. Bottom line, I spoke with their claims adjuster, Ms. Konny Styles, who assured me Shelter would cover the cost of my repairs and a rental car. I own a ladies' retail clothing business, and December is a VERY busy month for our business. I was finally able to take my car in on Monday, December 30th, for repair, and picked up a rental car where Shelter told me to go, which was Enterprise Auto Rental. My auto body shop offered a FREE LOANER CAR while mine was being repaired; however, I let them know that I wouldn't need it, since Shelter offered to take care of that.

Long story short, I turned in my rental car to Enterprise on Monday, January 5, one week after picking it up. I was told that everything was OK. To my shock and surprise, I received a bill on my Visa card to the tune of $196.28 from Enterprise. Shelter Insuance denied full payment to Enterprise, asserting that they were only authorizing 2 days of car rental. (In case you don't read all the fine print on the back of the rental car agreement you sign, it states that if for any reason the 3rd party does not pay the bill, YOU are on the hook, and there's nothing you can do about it!) Shelter asserts that since their estimate states that it should take 2 days to repair the car, that equates to only 2 days of rental car expense. ABSURD!

Word to the wise...STAY WAY AWAY FROM ANYTHING OR ANYONE CONNECTED WITH SHELTER INSURANCE!!! They are not allowed to operate in Texas, and now I know why!!!

Su

Comments

Sep 23, 2009

I have a question for this person. Did you turn in the rental car immediately after your car was repaired? Or, did you keep the car for a couple days after the repairs were finished? Also, if the auto repair shop took more than two days to fix the car, why didn't you have the repair shop contact the Shelter Insurance claims adjuster to get an authorization to extend the rental period?

Finally, your assertion that Shelter Insurance "is not allowed to operate in the state of Texas" might very well be false. Is it possible that Shelter Insurance has chosen not to operate in the state of Texas? They are primarily a mid-western company operating in 14 states. Insurance companies do not have to operate in every state in the union...they can choose the states they want to concentrate their risk in.

• Sc
      Aug 31, 2010

I WAS FORCED ( OR FACED WITH PAY RENTAL OUT OF POCKET ) TO PICK UP CAR BEFORE IT WAS REPAIRRS WAS AN SHELTER STILL DID NOT PAY ALL OF RENTAL . NOW I AM GOING TO TAKE SHELTER TO COURT . MED BILLS NOT PAID EITHER .
    J. CARVER
    COLUMBIA, TN
    [protected]@HOTMAIL.COM

• In
      Jun 25, 2011

I find it funny that the repair shop offered you a free loaner car, but you chose to cheat the insurance company out of money to go through Enterprise. If my repair shop offered me a loaner I would take it because each time the insurance company is cheated out of money it means the cost of insurance has to increase.
    I also find it interesting that you drug your feet on the repairs for a month, and you act as if the insurance company was at fault. You admitted that your business was busy that month, so it leads me to believe the delay in handling the claim was your fault, not the insurance companies.