Sharper Impressions Painting / Screwed Over

1 KS, United States Review updated:

I own/run a small house painting company. My business was slow so I subcontracted a job for Sharper Impressions. They find the jobs and bid them, then hire painters to do them. Their take is 50% of the bid. Of the other 50% I paid for materials and labor, and the balance would be mine. Outrageous, but I needed work, so I signed their contract and took on a job.

I bought materials for the job on their accounts. The contract stated I would be using Sherwin Williams (a high quality product that I use exclusively) paint, but they said they had switched to Porter paint (an inferior product). Because of this I had to use 16 extra gallons of paint (at $23.00 a gallon), I also had to pay extra in labor because of the extra time it took to triple (!!!) coat the house, but I stuck with it and finished the job.

When I got paid, I was shorted $246.35. This was in addition the the extra I had to pay for the above mentioned paint and labor. It takes a week to get their checks, and in the meantime I had started another job for them. When I called them about the shortage, they said they would make it up at the end of the current job. They did not. And they will not return my calls.

Since then (about 2 weeks) I have spoken to one other subcontractor that was also shorted over $300.00. I have also discovered that they advertise using Manor Hall Timless Lifetime paint (a good product) and are in actuallity using lower end Manor Hall (inferior product). This is flat out false advertising.

So, to sum it up, Sharper Impressions is not only shorting their subcontractors, but misleading their customers.

Cwk painting inc.
osawatomie, Kansas
U.S.A.

Comments

• Bo
      8th of Mar, 2009
    Sharper Impressions Painting - Stay Away
    Sharper Impressions Painting
    sharperimpressionspainting.com

This company does not stand behind what they advertise. They have District Managers that are un-qualified and then pass the additional costs on to their customers when the Job comes up short and they cannot deliver on the contract. Their customer service is horrific - they do not return calls or address issues in a timely manner. Stay away - it is not worth it.
    -Fluffybear

23rd of Mar, 2009

This sounds like a disgruntled contractor who has it in for Sharper Impressions Painting. I know from experience that they are a reputable painting contractor with very satisfied customers.

• Ro
      29th of Mar, 2009

They are the furthest from reputable that there is. type in "Sharper Impressions Painting Rip Off" There is your satisfied customers. You know from experience that you work for Sharper Impressions. STAY AWAY FROM SHARPER IMPRESSIONS PAINTING

5th of Apr, 2009

BBB processed a total of 12 complaints about this company in the last 36 months, our standard reporting period. Of the total of 12 complaints closed in 36 months, 3 were closed in the last year.
    These complaints concerned :
    2 regarding Billing or Collection Issues BBB Definition:

Billing or Collection Issues - Claim alleging billing errors, unauthorized charges, or questionable collection practices.

2 - None of the Above - Credit, Billing or Collection Complaint Issue

2 regarding Contract Issues BBB Definition:

Contract Issues - Claim of alleged failure to honor contract or agreement, work performed without authorization, or invalid contract.

2 - Failure to honor a contract or agreement

2 regarding Product Issues BBB Definition:

Product Issues - Claim alleging a product does not meet the expectations of the complainant, including defective merchandise.

1 - Defective, damaged, or incorrect product received
    1 - None of the Above - Product Quality Complaint Issue

1 regarding Repair Issues BBB Definition:

Repair Issues - Claims of alleged incorrect diagnosis of a problem, delay in completion of repair, or inferior workmanship.

1 - Delayed completion of repair

5 regarding Service Issues BBB Definition:

Service Issues - Claims of alleged delay in completing service, failure to provide promised service, inferior quality of provided service, or damaged merchandise as a result of delivery service.

5 - Improper or inferior service

These complaints were closed as:
    3 Administratively Closed BBB Definition:

Administratively Closed - BBB determined that the complaint could not be satisfactorily settled using standard methods of voluntary dispute resolution

2 - Company agreed to arbitration BBB Definition:

arbitration - http://www.dr.bbb.org/ComSenseAlt/bindArb.asp
    in accordance with their BBB agreement, but the consumer declined.
    1 - BBB determined the company provided proper verification that indicated there was no obligation to resolve the issues of the complaint.

• Sn
      7th of Apr, 2009

Sharper Impressions Painting is a ripoff...they got me too.

• To
      13th of Apr, 2009

Stay away. They are no good

12th of Aug, 2009

They are in the process of ripping me off in Lenexa.

I am a lawyer and have all the proper documentation and photos to get them good.

I'd rather the just paint my house correctly.

• Wp
      31st of Aug, 2009

Please submit complaints to www.bbb.org, where it will make a difference.

• Gr
      4th of Sep, 2009

I have worked for Sharper Impressions painting for 8 years and they have always treated me with respect and i have found them a very good company to do business with.
    With a large Company and alot of employees to hire, occasionally you will have a painter who is not efficient and has a hard time finishing a job in a timely manner and thus feels the need to complain about whatever it might be to make him feel justified. From my own experience in dealing with hundreds of their jobs over the years the claim of any kind of "inferior" paint is not true.
    If Sharper does have a problem with a painter or a specific home the management team has always bent over backwards to rectify the problem, although there are some people in this world who you couldnt make happy even if God showed up to paint their Home.
    In my opinion for every complaint (and every company around has to deal with them in the best possible way) There are probably 1000 very satisfied customers.

Greg, APC Dublin Ohio

• Wp
      20th of Oct, 2009

I just typed a thorough rebuttal to Greg's comments, and it got deleted. I don't feel like retyping it. Just know that there are more than a few customers/contractors who are excessively unhappy with the unethical and dishonest dealings we've had with this company. Most customers assume that this "professional" company is doing a good job, and they don't evaluate the work. The company bends over backwards, but it's not to help their customers (at least not after they take your money).

Just consider yourself forewarned. If you want to roll the dice with this company, go for it. But you'd probably be better off hiring some neighborhood kids. The honor this company exemplifies is as reliable and useful as a flat tire in the middle of the Mojave.

• Ye
      24th of Nov, 2009

I have been doing subcontracting work for this companey for the last 6 monthes, and yes it has kept me from starving.But in the same time it has also caused me to do some of the most short cutting and sloppy painting I have ever done, because of the 50%split after subtracting materials.I have a new born baby to feed, so I gotta do whatever it takes.This company is designed for illegals who find the pay to be good enough for them.You also dont have to really have to have insurance or workmans comp.Anyways they are a dishonest company with far from 100% paint jobs.Isn't life grand...

• Da
      30th of Dec, 2009

I hate Sharper Impressions, they are like pit bulls who have been treated badly. At first they are cute then you give them a chance and they will get you. They are the most dishonest and money hungry company I have ever came across. I know they don't treat their customers right and the way they treat their sub contractors is shameful. I'm telling you they have no respect and all they want is your money and they don't care about anything else. The people who were happy with the job that was done must have been because they had good painters because Sharper Impressions are ###.

• Ti
      1st of Feb, 2010

Sharper operates in two places. The group in the Kansas City area takes a great deal of short cuts and does not stand by their work. They often hire inexperienced painters with no insurance.

They do not have any painters on staff. All are sub-contracted and it is a complete roll of the dice who and what type you may get. Most are no good.

They usually have one good crew that gets tasked with fixing the mistakes and sloppy work of the others.

The real problem is Ty Johnson. He tells these contractors to cut corners. Look at the BBB complaints and you will see.

What out for their contract. In the past two years, all the contracts I've seen claim that they are BBB certified. While that was true until August of 2008, they are no longer certified and they can be sued for misrepresentation and false advertising.

Do not use SharperImpressions -- Stay away

• Ge
      27th of Jul, 2010

Sharper Impressions actually operates in 10 regions. They are crooked from the top to the bottom. Indianapolis is the area that I know of. Danis has it right...they are [censor]. I hope that Geoff Sharp cannot sleep at night knowing how he has treated people.

• Tr
      28th of Oct, 2010

I have worked for Sharper and Jeff Sapp off and on for 5 years.And for the most part they are a good company.Hell i jus finished a job today that had a customer that seemed like he was looking for any thing to [censor] about.Some customers you just cant please.It is a 50-50 split, THEY HAVE TO MAKE MONEY TOO!IF YOU DONT LIKE IT GO FIND YOUR OWN JOBS.They have never encouraged me to cut corners at all.Its business, sometimes there are going to be problems but as far as i know And what i have witnessed with my own eyes they stand by their word.

TREY

• Ba
      23rd of Feb, 2017

hahahahaha SHARPER BAD IMPRESSIONS IS A BAD COMPANY THEY USE SUBCONTRACTORS WITHOUT EXPERIENCE, AND WITHOUT INSURANCE, IS NOT 50/50 SPLIT THATS A BIG LIE, THE SUBCONTRACTOR HAS TO PROVIDE OPERATIONAL MATERIAL AND BUY THE PAINT
    THAT LEAVES THE SUB- WITH 35% OF WHAT HE HAS TO PAY EMPLOYEES THATS A JOKE, THE SUB ISN'T MAKING ENOUGH PAINTING A WHOLE HOUSE FOR LITTLE MONEY, IS NOT FAIR, THAT'S THE REASON WHY SUBCONTRACTORS MAKE SLOPPY JOBS AT PEOPLE HOUSES.. ADVICE FOR HOME OWNERS DO NOT HIRE SHARPER RIP OFF COMPANY