ServPro / Awful company

1 520 N Front StreetDecatur, IL, United States Review updated:
Phone: 217-428-2371

ServPro over charged for thousands of dollars worth of work they knew would never need to be performed. They double billed for the same work in many of the rooms. When the over charges were caught they reissued a second estimate with the same over charges and double billing. For example who is going to pay thousands of dollars for someone to clean newly textured ceilings, freshly primed and painted walls and trim? They knew of this well in advance and refused to submit to me an estimate prior to billing my insurance company.

The over charges explains why an estimate was never presented to me. ServPro moved my property out of my home and into their storage facility. They are supposed to do an inventory log of every item they take out of your home. They are supposed to unpack and clean everything they take to their facility and re pack everything once it has been cleaned. This location never did any such thing. They have broken, destroyed and or lost several thousands of dollars worth of my property. When my home was completely remodeled they moved everything back to my residence. Unloaded it into my house and garage and then left me to unpack everything.

The ServPro Logo is 'Like it never even happened'. When they moved things back into my home they damaged my newly remodeled home as well. To date they have destroyed, damaged or lost thousands of dollars worth of my property. ServPro Corporate has been contacted on many occasions and they refuse to return any of my calls. Exactly like the local ServPro Franchise that has caused all of this. When ServPro employees moved some of my belongings into my home they stole items they found they liked. The local police department has been called and hopefully an arrest will be performed.

To date I am out over $30, 000.00 in damages and my insurance company is battling with them for the roughly $9, 000.00 that ServPro intentionally over charged them for. It is very sad when a company that is suppose to be their for customers when they are dealing with a fire, flood or any other crisis and the customer finds out they were taken advantage of when they were very vulnerable. This is very pathetic; I guess the ServPro logo is correct. ServPro refuses to return calls and acts like 'It Never Even Happend'.

Another battle I am fighting is the fact they refuse to turn this over to their insurer, rumor has it that this location does not have insurance. If that is the case then who regulates these companies to make certain customers are protected. One last thing, in addition to all of the above they still have thousands of dollars worth of my property and refuse to return it. Please be very cautious and exhaust all options before you ever consider letting this company step foot on your property.

Ch

Comments

• Ek
      3rd of Mar, 2009

• Jt
      8th of Apr, 2009

I agree with the comment made by "eksb" Servpro is an independently owned franchise. I would not discard Servpro altogether. You should file a complaint with the corporate office for that particular franchise."

They are all independently owned, you should not discriminate. Report that franchise to their corporate office and they will correct it. Sorry for your loss.

• Eh
      26th of Apr, 2009

Insurance companies are to blame if poor service. Servpro and other Emergency service companies can only do what they are payed for!!!
    I have been on four jobs where i have personally heard phone conversations where Work was already done!!! Insurance companies cut the totals down to below minimum wage. Forcing Servpro to hire unskilled farm hands and field pickers to do work. The servpro workers I have met were very professional and used only unskilled labor for moving debrea and watching equipment if required on the job. If the insurance companies payed properly air filters could be changed after demolition also for drying areas for 3 days to 2 weeks.
    Home owners should not be exposed to breathing fine particles of mold, carcinogens and pesticides in walls and wet floors!!!
    The Home Owner should be after the Insurance Company not the people trying to do a good job!!!
    E.H.R.
    i have not mentioned any insurance companies in fairness to the companies that do good work.

• Jc
      9th of Sep, 2009

When you signed the Servpro contract it said you were in reciept of an estimate. Seems to me like a you problem if you signed and didn't recieve an estimate. Servpro of Ocala did over $127, 000 worth of work at my house and it truly is "like it never even happened". Read before you sign.

• Ki
      21st of Sep, 2009

I totally agree. I just got a quote for mold in an attic on a home i am going to purchase. They charged me $ 160.00 to tell me it is condinsation. (how ever you spell it). The man couldn't even speak proper english. He kept saying "ah, ah, its ah on the wood in ah, ah, few spots." Then I asked, " Does the bathroom vent go into the attic or does it go outside?" He said, "ah I don't know do you ah, want me to look again?" WHAT? Then I got a quote for ... get this... $2, 200.65! For a few spots of mold in the attic? The guy who came to check the mold had a latter the size for a kid on a playground! Servpro is aweful. Plus when I called back to get my quote twice they were very rude on the phone. I am going to try and get my $160.00 back. I am writing to their corp. office.

Please be careful using servpro.

• Kj
      25th of Oct, 2009

I completely agree. Icontacted ServPro Corporate regarding the cleanup of a biohazard blood. I was referred to the Dubuque, IA and was told I would receive a call from them within an hour. No call... I called back and asked to be referred to another franchise. Again, no call... I called again to corporate to see who else and was put on hold and then disconnected. I agree with the statement the franchises are independently owned but if ServPro is allowing these people to become franchisees, it doesn't speak well for the company as a whole. Nor does their handling of my subsequent call to report a problem. Stay away.

• Do
      16th of Mar, 2010

i have used serpro in the past...and they done ok...then this past weekend when i callled for their services, they were out of drying equipment, which i understood due to the flooding in the area, but they told me that some would be arriving the next day, so ni patiently waited, then i called them again and they said they had the drying equipment and would see me in 1 to 2 hours...well its 2 days later and i still have not seen or heard from them...dont ever trust the servpro in beckley, wv. the owner will tell you what you want to hear just to get you off his back...and i know that from personal experience especially since i use to work for the moody man...

• Se
      19th of Mar, 2010

Watch out for So-called "screened" Employees who rip you off from little things to big! You're in a bad way; so you don't even notice!

I was an employee (SADLY) for them, but was actually one of the Honest ones, but heard other things and later confessions from ex-employees that I worked with.

Remember this! ALWAYS be on gaurd when ANY of your items are where YOU are not!

I'm a Christian and always thought of the "what if this was me/mine", but worked with a hell-bent bunch AND Employer!

20th of Jan, 2011

Serv Pro is a joke!!! They want to charge outrageous prices for what little work is actually done.
    They do not have "Professional Cleaners", they hire Temp People. I'm glad a temp person gets to work, but come on...!!!
    They change plans as they go...
    They all of a sudden, "don't handle that anymore, you'll have to get the fire dept. to give you new smoke detectors..." (I have an email to prove this one...)
    They damaged things that they don't care. The owner stated to just charge our ins. because they will pay.
    They don't want to hear what happened or didn't happened while their people were on the job site
    They never checked on the job performed or their people.
    Complained because they had to come to our home last week. (took them since August of 2010) and I told the owner that if she didn't want to be here and do her job, there is the F'n door!!!

it's gonna get even nastier...I hate it for them...

• 16
      26th of Jan, 2011

Servpro of Johnson City TN doesn't know what mold is if it slapped them in the face. They charged me a fortune to when i asked them to take care of a mold issue in my basement. Only to find out they didn't even take care the problem and I had to get another company to come out and do the job right. Then they refused to offer a partial refund.

• Kg
      16th of Mar, 2011

For those that said to contact their corporate office, for what? Try to get it resolved through them, just try it!! Number 1, they don't get involved, that's why they state that each franchise is "INDEPENDENTLY OWNED AND OPERATED"!! Meaning, they won't get involved in a price dispute, they won't get involved in a quality dispute and they won't get involved in a legal dispute. Sure they might make a call to the franchise and say, "what's going on with Ms Jones and her table", but they won't get involved if the franchise says that it's not their fault. Here's an idea that WILL work!! BY LAW, you can have the insurance check made out to you even if you signed a work agreement. Remember the insurance company has a contract with you NOT the company. NOW with the check you'll get a response.

17th of Mar, 2011

We're still having issues over items that were damaged in our home due to the "professional" ServPro people that was in our home. They keep telling us to just turn it into our insurance adjuster. Thing is, ServPro is responsible for their damages and is suppose to turn damages by their staff onto their insurance.
    All I can state is, what a joke this company has been since day 1. Never again will I allow ServPro in or near my home.

• Do
      21st of Mar, 2011

ServPro is a joke...I would never ever reccommend them to anyone. They did work to my house without my approval, took items and threw them out with out my permission. I only wanted a quote...they sent an outragous bill, told me not to worry about it as my insurance will pay it. Then try to complain to the owner/manager and he never returns phone calls, totally unprofessional. How does a company like this stay in business?

21st of Mar, 2011

We know exactly how you feel. Rather strange they never get our calls or messages, but only call us upon wanting money...

• Kg
      4th of Apr, 2011

WOW, are any of these issues in Florida? Because this sounds SO much like a local ServPro here..

4th of Apr, 2011

Mine is in Clemmons, N.C. Have been dealing with this mess since May of 2010. Still not completed and they're wanting to threaten lawsuit...I'm like, bring it on!!!

• Cc
      5th of May, 2011

I am concerned that serv pro in upstate new york came in and pulled the carpet and cut the wall out up two feet but in carthage missouri franchise wouldn't even talk about that all they wanted to do was extract water and run some fans and dehumidifers for 4 days saying this will get the water and moisture from under the carpet pad yet i still have a smell of mildew and mold in the house... i would not recomend them to clean pee off a gravel road

26th of May, 2011
    ServPro - lack of communication
    Joseph Opalski
    20 orange rd.
    Middletown
    Connecticut
    Phone: 860-344-1448

After numerous requests for call - back ; regarding invoice # 2594291 & # 2876627, requests are totally ingnored... If this company is a viable & active service, I would like to be contacted as soon as possible, one way or the other.. Perhaps the better business of Greator Hartford should be advised. HELP !!!

• Na
      2nd of Aug, 2011

This must be how ServPro operates. We had the same issues, smells of insurance fraud! Still battling after 3 years. How can a company like this still be in business? We did complain to Corporate and got no satisfaction.

3rd of Aug, 2011

I agree with most comments, however, even though most Serv Pro's are from a franchise, it has done no good what so ever to report anything to any cooperate office as in deaf ears hear no tales. It's been well over a year now, and we're still awaiting a closure in our dealings with Serv Pro. To date, we've been threatened because no settlement has been made, but we're not the ones that contacted them to begin with, our Insurance did, to which, they later dropped Serv Pro...hmmmm...
    They threatened us, after coming into our home demanding a settlement and we gave them a rebuttle to which they didn't like. We're still trying to locate and replace items that were damaged during Serv Pros time in our house.
    One of the things that gets me is, why did we have to hire, out of pocket, so many other people to perform a lot of the work that Serv Pro was suppose to do? (by their own contract)