Serta Pillow Top Mattress / Poor service!

I purchased a Serta Pillow Top Mattress about 2 years ago and it is sagging and it has been turned on a regular bases. What can I do. This was a 2,200 dollar mattress.

Plz advise smb!

Pa

Comments

Na
  6th of Aug, 2007

I also bought a Serta pillowtop two years ago and it is doing the same thing. My husband and I are both within ideal weight ranges, and I have a Kinkaid bed with four huge wooden legs on the bed frame, and four additional posts supporting the center. I have the original warranty information and the Law Tags, but Serta will no longer deal though the furniture store where I made the purchase because they do not carry Serta anymore (WONDER WHY?). Serta wants $35 check to LOOK AT the mattress and an additional $114 to deliver it, IF they decide it needs replaced. The warranty information brochure says absolutely nothing about any such charges and I would bet a court would rule in my favor. After what I'm reading on line about them- forget it.

Em
  6th of Sep, 2007

We also have a 2 year old Serta Pillowtop mattress which cost of set was 1800.00. We called the store we bought it from they sent out two service tech's to look at the pillow top which has moved 3 to 4 inches away from one side and is now folded over and over lapping the opposite side. It is actually moving and shifting so it is sagging and uncomfortable and can not lay on the one side because there is no pillow top 4 inches from the edge or you roll off.
Techs agreed that it was a problem and should not be like that and said they will give the report to management. Management called and said that is normal wear and tear for a 3 year old mattress and I said oh ok good so mine is a problem then because it is only just turned 2 years old? Oh no ma'm I meant to say 2 years old. I said I figured someone would not want to cough up the repair or replacement on that 15-20 year warranty who should I call Serta and they said yes. Called Serta and they said they have to go with the store's resolution and can not do anything. So folk's I no longer shop at that stor or will purchase a Serta product. Boycott both! I have spread the word to everyone I know at how disgusting it is they do not stand by their products and are rip off's. I have filed a consumer complaint and sleeping on an air mattress until I can afford to buy another mattress for another 2 years. Where is our consumer protection here?

Ho
  1st of Dec, 2007

We have the same problem (Serta). We originally purchased a pillowtop king size. The wrong one was delivered. It was replaced with a defective mattress which cost us 50.00 for delivery. This one was also defective. It caved in on one side and my wife and I call it the torture chamber. Something kin to water-boarding. I wonder if I could get the aclu in on this? I will do all I can to deter anyone from purchasing a serta , maybe even take this $1600.00 mattress to the parking lot in front of the store and put my own display together for future customers. What do yall think?

Ho
  1st of Dec, 2007

DO NOT buy a serta mattress unless you love pain.

Jo
  1st of Apr, 2008

We are just starting our battle. After 3 months, our King Serta Perfect Day has developed two craters where our hips contact the mattress. An inspector came out and although we were promised a copy of the report, we never got one. We just got a letter from the place we bought the mattress (Mattress Warehouse) saying that we have no claim because our brand new king bed with twelve 2" thick slats does not have a center support. We spent $1500 for this mattress - and $2000 for the bed. We have always bought Sealy Posturpedic - the last one lasted for 22 years, and I am kicking myself for switching. We are getting the manufacturing specs for the bed to prove that there are no issues with the support (the warranty indicates that slats are fine as long as there are at least five of them). I don't know who we should pursue our issue with - Mattress Warehouse or Sealy. It sounds like either is a losing cause. Has anyone had a SUCCESS in getting their mattress replaced at no cost? If there are any lawyers out there, it sounds like this would be a great class-action suit!

Br
  8th of Apr, 2008

We are on our FOURTH Serta matress. COMPLETE JUNK!!! I'm about 245 lbs and my wife is 125lbs. We have a king size perfect day which forms large dips in the matress where we sleep, and humps up in the middle. Yes, her side too. There is no support and they won't warentee the product unless there is a 2" dip. Like I said, we are on our fourth mattress. If it wasen't for our local store, we would still be fighting with Serta. They have finally agreed to give an in store credit for the mattress, which is kind of helpfull, but all they carry is Serta. Guess were getting new furniature. Not sure what we'll do with the boxspring. We can not wait to get a different bed...any suggestions?

La
  4th of May, 2008

My wife and I bought a serta pillow top with the memory foam and have had back pain since day one. I do heavy lifting at work and thought my pain was from work. But after a year, an increase in pain, and a visible sagging in the center where our hips lay, I know it's not work. The store only has a 30 day return policy, so I'm not sure what my next move it, but I will not buy serta again.

St
  13th of May, 2008

Same problem here! Bought a Serta Perfect Night pillow top for $1400 in April 2007. After 3 months the body impressions started. Now the bed is so uncomfortable it's hard to sleep. Our bed is supported on a good Ethan Allen bedframe with 5 support bars. Neither my husband nor I are overweight. We filed a complaint with the retailer, Mattress Warehouse, and they sent our an inspector. The next week we got a letter saying that our warranty is void because there are stains on the mattress! What does this have to do with anything? Why bother having a a 10 year warranty? We have used a mattress pad continually since we bought the mattress and it already has a couple of small stains. It's hard for me to believe any mattress would still be unstained after 10 years! We are now contacting Serta directly but, based on other complaints we have seen, we have little hope that they really will stand by their product. Our last mattress was a Sealy Postuerpedic and it was in better condition after 10 years than this Serta is after just one. Bye bye Serta! You won't see a dime from us ever again.

Di
  1st of Jun, 2008

Same thing happened to us. We have had two beds so far, they are giving up credit for another serta defective bed. We want our money back. Has anyone got their money back? thanks diane

Ad
  1st of Jun, 2008

My advise is simply to read the warranty. The warranty, which I found on serta.com, states that if there are stains on the mattress, the warranty is void. However, that goes also for the Sealy warranty and the Simmons warranty and the Stearns and Foster warranty as well. I've read them all and they all say the same thing- stain on mattress = no warranty. Also, all the warranties are specific about the mattress having the correct support so you have to be very careful about the bed you buy and be sure that the frame has the right support for the size mattress you have. All the warranties are the same, so unless everyone wants to boycott all the mattress companies, we really have to read our warranties carefully. Good Luck to everyone!

Ha
  16th of Jun, 2008

My husband and I purchased a Serta pillow top mattress for the amount of $1000+ from a furniture store around mid November 2007. We purchased our first home in November 2007. Being first time home buyers we decided to purchase a bedroom suite. After having our queen size bed delivered with our pillow top mattress we loved it. After one week the pillow top mattress started sinking. I went back to the furniture store after one week of having the pillow top delivered and spoke to the sales lady. She said that her and her husband has one and it is fine. She spoke to management at the furniture store and he said that unless it is defective there is nothing that he can do for us. I was totally shocked. After one week!!! So we have had a inspector/service man from the furniture store come out once a month to check the status of the pillow top mattress. He keeps saying it has to be 2 inches deep before we can trade it in for something else. I am having leg problems and my husband is having back problems. I think we might have to get an attorney regarding this problem. I have never in my life purchased a mattress that within one week it is unbearable to sleep in. I also called Serta and they said that manufacturers warranty says it must be defective before being exchanged or traded in. They also told me that some furniture stores have a comfort warranty that is separate from the manufacturers warranty that if the mattress of the customers choice does not feel comfortable that it can be exchanged. Guess what!! The furniture store we went to does not offer that comfort warranty. I just cannot believe this is happening to us. I am 33 yrs old and my husband is 32 yrs old. The next mattress that we purchase I guess we should get a second opinion. Good luck to those of you going through what me and my husband are going through.

Br
  9th of Oct, 2008

We bought a serta pellow top mattress about a year ago for approx. 1800.00 and the mattress is not holding shape. we called serta and they told us they needed pics proving that the matress's indent was 1.5 inched deep or more. they wouldnt even send a rep. out. Of course they were to cheap to send us a new matress, poor service I will never buy serta produce again!

Ju
  17th of Nov, 2008

I also bought a Serta. 3 1/2 years ago. The day my husband and I brought the mattress home we had problems. We woke up that next morning hurting. My husband said give it a week or two to break it in. Well may good but mostly bad time consuming issues have come and gone. I have to laugh, because 3 and a half years later I now want to build a CLASS ACTION LAW SUITE against Serta for their practices. Is anyone with me ?!?!?!?! I think if you advertise that your mattress is the best or the most comfortable, heck if you even imply that your mattress is as such THEN THAT'S WHAT IT SHOULD BE ! IF you have a 10 year warranty, as they say, then the mattress will be replace if ANYTHING goes wrong, then replace it! ALSO, Serta should NOT make you PAY for delivery AND an inspector. Outside CONtractor or not if you have a multi-million dollar company you shouldn't have to sub- CONtract you should stand by your advertisements AND product! If your product is prove to have a malfunction, as mine has, then replace it! Quickly! Take some of the money that I over paid you for the mattress and send me a company paid, properly trained, certified inspector that comes to your home with the proper equipment ( not a broken 6 inch ruler taped to a paper cup and say its legit) and properly inspect and measure my mattress. Here's the deal. Serta sells horrible products and gets money. Serta sub-contracts to save money. Serta over charges you to pay for the sub-contractor and then over charges you to deliver and remove the mattresses. And If you DO and /or DON'T agree You get screwed. I was in so much pain from this mattress that I actually was sent for pinched nerve tests. I had pins stabbed in to my body to find out why I was hurting so much. the Dr's said I was fine, but I am still waking up EVERY morning feeling like I was in a car accident. I told serta this along with a few other reasons on why my mattress was in bad shape and uncomfortable. It actually made pinging noises after anyone got on or off the mattress. Including my 4 year old 33 lbs twins. Do you believe that when I got the paperwork in the mail a few weeks after my first contact with Serta that they actually stated the reason for my complaint was that my mattress is "noisy". I ask why that was and she said " that was the only option that she could put in to the computer from the reasons I gave her "and there was "no way to change the complaint information that I GAVE HER" Are you kidding me!? Then by the subcontracted inspector I was told to call Serta after I mailed my check for delivery (mailed on October 25th, 2008) to schedule an appointment for that delivery. I did so and was told that Serta dose not make appointments until the check is received and cleared (on NOVEMBER 14TH, 2008). OK, Well, NOW November 17th 2008, I STILL don't have an appointment because, Serta dose not make appointments until Serta calls me to make the appointment. I was told that, "the mattress is in production and it should be in about a week or so." that I get a call. Well, I figured to check the kind of mattress that (Serta says) I'm getting out. I go on line and fine out that its a firm mattress. I don't get firm mattresses. SOOOO, I call Serta AGAIN, just to find out if I cant request a same priced replacement mattress for a little more comfort. NOPE.What Serta gives you is what you get. Some one remind me when I became a 4 year old at the dinner table. Anyway. that is also when I found out that if I have a problem with the "new" mattress then I would have to repeat this whole message AGAIN. I would have to pay AGAIN for a sub-contracted inspector and delivery. Not including the time and aggravation. So someone please tell me you know a good lawyer!!! Oh and by they way I'm not the only family member that had to deal with Serta in this way. So, If you know whats best for you don't ever bye from Serta again!! I KNOW I WONT!!!
Note to serta,
Dont you think it would be easier, even on your part, just to give us our money back!? Oh! Wait! What am I thinking? You cant even give us a good product.

Rm
  2nd of Dec, 2008

I have the same problem. My Serta Vera Wang Pillow Top sags so bad in the middle after 2 years it like climbing out of a swiming pool every morning. Oh my aching BACK. So much for buying what is billed as a GOOD product. Count me on the class action !!!

I may drop my set off at Serta HQ's doorstep as a Christmas present.

Sw
  6th of Jan, 2009

It's not just Serta. I have just started the process through my mattress store vendor. She seemed very helpful and said all I need is a picture showing 1.5" indentation and I can get a full refund towards the purchase of ANY new mattress that they carry. She stated that the Simmons pays her directly so I can get anything I want. I will let you know if she follows through or if I run into problems. What have you replaced you mattress' with that is worth anything? We too have been having back pain and lack of continuous sleep! Has anyone tried the sleep number beds? Or Foam?

Th
  9th of Feb, 2009

Orange Texas... Yep i did the same thing, purchased a serta mattress and after 2 nights of sleeping there was a big dip in the middle NEVER AGAIN

Ro
  9th of Mar, 2009

We bought a Serta Grand Edition Perfect Sleep Mattress Set 12/29/2008. After a couple of weeks my husband and I both started having pain, mine in my spine, hips and neck causing a headache as well, my husband in his shoulders and hips. It has been just over 2 months now, and we havent had a restful night's sleep in weeks. The pain in my back is unbearable, I cannot sleep on this bed anymore!!! I called the store after sleeping on it for about 31/2 weeks to to tell them about these things, ane the clerk told me that there is absolutely nothing I can do about it, and cannot exchange or get my money back. We are not wealthy people who can just throw money away and yes I say there should be a class action law suit. I just want to get a new bed, but not from Serta!

Mi
  19th of Mar, 2009

We have purchased a king size mattress and box springs 3 years ago and in the last year has been sagging on the sides about 2 inch. The distributor is not interested in servicing it, but rather in selling us more furniture. We have had a service call, followed up by a technician's visit and it's been 2 months since. Now, we have been told that Serta will not issue an authorization for replacement because we did not buy the frame from the store. And were advised to buy one, then the company would approve the re-selection. Sounds right to you? To me it doesn't! We went into another distributor's store, and he assured us that is no question about it since we purchased the spring box and mattress. Especially since it is sagging where we sleep and not in the middle as the vendor is trying very hard to convince us. The technician took a picture of the bed and apparently they have been submitted to Serta. If they have, there should be no doubt that is a manufacturing defect.
The distributor we made the purchase from is The Brick on Kennedy Road, at Kennedy Commons. The one we asked for a second opinion is Sleep Country. The frame the bed is on is a custom one with 5 2"thick slats. I'm not sure if we are getting screwed by both sides or not. I just want this mattress out of my life. I'm already limping because of it. If anyone is still thinking of the law suit, count me in.

Jm
  11th of Apr, 2009

We have gone through 2 different mattresses so far...A Sealy pillowtop and now a Serta Perfect Sleeper..."Reece" after only a couple of months they both had deep depressions in the hip area (I weight 120). We are seriously considering going back to just the spring mattresses with no pillowtop. The foam they used is either low quality or not applicable for a good mattress. We are in the process of returning this one and getting a regular mattress..same brand. Has anyone tried this? This is getting to be very aggravating let alone a huge hasstle. I had a mattress for years with non of these problems...does anyone have any thoughts about what is going on?
Sleepless in Toledo, OH

Dj
  13th of May, 2009

Well I guess we are joining a growing crowd who will never buy a Serta (or any other product they produce).
We were surprised the hurdles they make you go thru just to submit a claim. Original receipt must be ready, 2 'law' tags, form.

Our first denial covered a miriad of issues from them adding NEW terms/requirements that aren't even part of the warranty card we got when we bought. Then when we asked for reconsideration, the next guy denied it on the basis we didn't have the necessary 1.5" of sagging...BUT WE AREN'T CLAIMING a sagging warranty issue! Our is bulging out the side. We've countered every excuse they've given so far.

"We received your letter today denying our warranty claim on the Serta mattress warranted for 10 years.

We request you forward this to your supervisor since the facts outlined in your denial letter are not consistent with the problem, or cannot be based on the adjuster's report for our mattress, and/or are not reflective of the warranty requirements provided in the warranty card provided at the time of purchase as opposed to the new more detailed conditions your seem to be imposing to qualify for warranty coverage.

1. Border wires - During the adjuster visit we discussed this. Specifically it was pointed out that sitting on the side of a mattress can cause border wires to bend and that would void a warranty, however, she noted the area in question is obviously not one where a person sits. She understood the problem area is where I get in and out of the bed, so if that constitutes 'extreme force' by a person weighing 235lbs then your product is not suitable for a significant portion of the population. Our complaint is not with bent border wires, it is with the springs/support in the side area bulging out sideward from the side to about 1' inward from the border wires.

2. Center support - The adjuster noted the issue of a center support but also noted the problem has nothing to do with the center of the bed. We requested she photograph the bed frame construction since it differs from the examples in the warranty card/owner card. Ours has a center 6"X1" vertical cross frame does not move/sag etc and which exceeds the structure of a normal king/queen metal type frame. This is also why our frame has two single box springs, as opposed to the sample ones pictured in the warranty/owner card that have a king/queen box spring which obviously would need a center support extending to the floor due to the span to prevent sagging/body impressions.

Putting this aside, we note there is no complaint of a sagging issue whatsoever in the middle or anywhere in the area where a centre support would provide support.

Further, when the adjuster mentioned Serta MAY want a centre support we both examined the warranty card where it states a center support is 'recommended', NOT 'required'. She acknowledged our frame is not the normal frames where centre supports provide support. We would also note that If a center support is a requirement for warranty coverage it should be stated as such not simply 'recommended', then your authorized dealers that sell your products and deliver it to our homes would properly install your product or adivse customers. The adjuster acknowledged this has been a failing of some of your dealers, as it apparently has been for us.

You suggest we purchase a metal frame with center support and 5 or 6 legs or hardwood slats being a minimum of 5 1"thick and 3" wide. If you look at the bed frame in the photo you will see our frame far exceeds what you are suggesting we purchase, or the examples on the warranty card.

Further, the warranty card we have states sagging is covered, "only if the mattress has been continously supported by a matching foundation (or equivalent) and used with an appropriate frame and center support, or a minimum of 5 cross slats." If you maintain a center support voids our warranty for a unrelated complaint then we would note we meet the requirement since we have a minimum of 5 cross slats. Further, despite you letter indicating slat dimensions, there was not such requirement other than the number of slats in our warranty card.

3. Stains - The adjuster noted ONE ~3"X 1/16" mark on the side of the mattress DIRECTLY over the border spring. Prior to her visit we had seen 'staining' reported on the internet by other Serta customers who have had claims denied. We discussed with the adjuster how stains can be an issue and how some of the mattresses she has had to come out to look at should be condemned. We fully understand and appreciate why STAINS are an issue for the workers in Serta's factory handling repairs. Since we use a mattress cover we knew there were no STAINS. She said we may be able to remove the mark so I took a cloth and wiped the line and it instantly came off. When we rotate the mattress the side probably just rubbed against the colored wood post of the frame and transferred this small mark.

We assume you have inadvertently added a number of additional conditions or details for warranty coverage that were not conveyed to customers in the information provided to us at the time of purchase.. Perhaps your warranty requirements may have changed since our purchase so we ask you to honour the warranty.

We are surprised at the barriers Serta seems is imposing to obtain warranty coverage on a $2500.00 mattress set you warrant for 10 years.

We are including Ellen Roseman, consumer reporter for the Toronto Star in this email because we think she may also find it interesting to learn of the hurdles Serta is now imposing to honour a warranty claim, including requiring an original receipt, a 'law' tag off the mattress and a 'law' tag off the box spring which customers typically remove and dispose of at the time of purchase, someone claiming a minor mark as a 'stain' and to claim the 'unsanitary condition' exemption under the warranty, the addition of dimensions for the wood slats now that you don't specify in the warranty, the centre support for a king size with two single box frames where there is already a centre support which far exceeds the support of the comparibles in your warranty card. We thought the stories on the internet of others with similar claim denials were exaggerated. We remain hopeful that your superior will reconsider our claim and we again request you to forward this for their consideration. "