Select Comfort Sleep Number Bed / Bed bugs came with the bed

1 Saint Peters, MO, United States Review updated:

March 3, 2010 we had the bed delivered to our newly remodled beautiful home. We had company here and they saw them carry the sleep number bed inside and set it up on the spotless new white carpet.

They left more than the bed. While laying on the bed after they left a bedbug crawled towards me. My company saw them on the floor where the men had the boxes and had been standing. They killed more than 5 bed bugs then i got everyone out of there to call the pest control company.

I called the driver immediately and warned him so he wouldn't take any bugs into his house around his children since we were the last delivery of the day.

The driver thanked me and said it has happened before while delivering other sleep number beds. (They haul away dirty old mattresses and they are inside with the new beds)

We paid $200. 00 for exterminators to kill the bedbugs with their treatments within the first 2 hours.

The sleepnumber company has not helped us with this problem at all. They haven't even apologized.

I am still tooooooooooooo angry to write anymore except to say you'll see me carring a sign at the store on sunday in protest of sleep number bed's business ethics.

Comments

• Ap
      18th of Mar, 2010

George and Joyce Stevens,

My name is Aphton and I work for Select Comfort in the Customer Service dept. and I want to start by offering our deepest condolences for your beginning experience with your new Sleep Number bed.
    I have spoken with Tom A. who has advised me that he's in communication with you to help offer relief of the un-invited bed-bugs. Although I'm sure it has been explain that this situation is VERY rare and our technicians are trained to look for bed-bugs situations, I feel terrible that it has happened to you. I truly appreciate you working with us to get this situation under control.

It is our goal at Select Comfort that every customer receive world-class customer service. While it is clear we fell short of that goal, your comments will give us the opportunity to focus on areas we need to improve. We value feedback from our customers and appreciate you taking the time to contact us. If you ever have any questions or concerns we can be contacted in several ways. Sleep Number assistance can be found on Twitter @SleepNumberHelp as well as on Facebook.com/SleepNumber. Please reach out to us in Customer Service if there is anything we can further assist you with.

Congratulations on your purchase we do greatly value you as an owner of a Sleep Number bed.

• Pl
      18th of Mar, 2010

Yes, you can help. We are still waiting for the $200.00 check from your compsany.

• Jb
      12th of Oct, 2010

I have a little story for you today. After reading numerous complaints about bed bugs arriving with Select Comforts Sleep Number Beds, I decided to give Select Comfort a call regard the ordeal I am going through right now. Once upon a time, a simple consumer decided that after sleeping for 30 years on a waterbed the time had come to do something new. Therefore, this consumer did all the research and settled on a bed that was not a waterbed as such but had the same principle of comfort. The new bed finally arrived two weeks after the purchase. In anticipation for this great moment, the wife and I decided to renovate the entire master bedroom, toss out the old pillows and go with the latest style in body pillow comfort. New tile floors, new paint job and changing of the old furniture seemed in order too. We decided that this would be a good time to have an exterminator come early from his quarterly visits (In Houston it is very important to have) since the master bedroom was being completely redone anyway. After all the preparation, we assemble the famous bed for which my wife and I had read so much about. After a couple of weeks of fantastic sleep my wife started being bitten by something, what could it be? We immediately thought bed bugs because we had heard about them on so many news stories. We had the exterminators come out for a second visit but no indication on bed bugs where apparent, but they used a special fogger this time anyway. A few day reprieve this gave us but the bits began again. This was completely unacceptable and at this point, we took the matter into our own hands. We took all our bedding, all our clothes, and pillows to the local laundry mat for a complete cleaning. We also decided at this point, because the Sleep Number Bed was easily taken apart that we would take each component to the laundry mat as well. What big surprise we got there. Attached is one example of the pictures taken. The bed frame box cover was completely infested with all stages of bed bugs. We keep a very clean house and the only way this infestation could have occurred was a hitchhiker on a brand new bed. As I write the exterminator is here again, but this time, the bugs should already be gone because we took the Sleep Number components to be cleaned. Although there was shrinkage on all the components, they seemed to fit together. Except for the bed frame box cover which now gives a 1.5 inch view of the black plastic box, a constant reminder of our ugly encounter with Select Comforts hitchhikers…Oh and the rest of the story regarding my 15 minute encounter with customer service Mark hung up on me. I guess the truth hurts even when your employer is to blame.

• Wi
      18th of Aug, 2012

Here is an email that I sent to Sleep Number this morning- they told me to email customer service...

We purchased our sleep number in April, and my bed was delivered on May 24th, 2012 We had great service with the initial purchase at the sleep number store in the Dulles Town Center in Sterling, VA. About 3 weeks after the delivery of our bed, we started noticing marks under our pillows. We didn't know what the marks were from. A few weeks later we were headed to bed and I saw a bug in my bed, I killed it and noticed that there were more marks then there had previously been. We thought that this bug was a tick, because we live in an area where there is a large population of deer ticks... Again, this was no big deal because I killed it and flushed it away...

Then about 2 weeks ago, my husband went to the doctor for a sinus infection and asked him about marks that were on his body, he thought is was a rash, the doctor said it was bug bites, but couldn't tell what kind of bug had done it. On Tuesday night (August 14th) I went to bed, and when my husband came upstairs he mentioned about me having bites on my arms... he then decided to tear my bed apart because he had finally put all the pieces together from the other issues that we were having.

I talked to Kimberly from the Dulles Town Center Store on August 15th, and she told me to call the corporate headquarters because she was not sure what to do at store level, but that corporate would definitely be able to rectify the situation. I then called on the 16th of August and talked to a gentleman (I didn't get his name) but he told me that he talked to a supervisor and that they were not giving him the answers that he needed, so he was going to have a woman call me back (Her last name was Hainus, I cannot remember her first name - but I do have it written down on my desk at work where I made my calls from)

I waited 24 hours and when Ms. Hainus didn't return my call, I called back and talked to another woman (who then after not helping me as I had asked, and after repeatedly asking for a supervisor - I handed the phone to my husband who was able to get her to transfer him to a supervisor, and he talked to them) - If you need his name as well I can get that for you, as it is at my desk at work (Your hours do not allow me to get ahold of anyone during the day once I am home)

The supervisor that my husband talked to said that there was NO WAY that the bed bugs could have been delivered into my house because they train their employees to LOOK for these bugs when they are removing and replacing mattresses... we did not have a bed removed, in fact we took our old bed and put it in our sons room, and there are NO BUGS THERE, so they WERE NOT in my home BEFORE the bed was delivered... They came AFTER the bed was delivered.

My husband asked this supervisor about what all the training entails, he asked the following questions in which he could get NO SOLID ANSWERS...

1. How large is a bed bug egg, and can it be seen by your employees? - His response - "I don't Know how big they are"
    I can tell you a bed bug egg is small enough that you have to be really looking to see them. I have done PLENTY of research on the internet on how to get rid of them... Which I should have NEVER had to have done if proper handling had been taken when delivering my bed.

2. Do you put the old mattresses on the same truck as the ones being delivered? His response "yes"

3. Are they separated from each other? his response - "I believe there is a partition between them" There was no partition as I was out at the truck when the mattress was delivered.

4. How can you be sure that no bed bugs transferred from one mattress to another? His response "Our employees are trained and I can 100% guarantee you that that did not happen"

5. Then my husband as him HOW he cold guarantee that... his response "I can just guarantee that"

We purchased this bed under the assumption that this would IMPROVE our sleep in bed - This is clearly not happening, since we are getting bit at night and are moving in bed because of the bugs. The interesting thing about bed bugs is that they hate light, and they hide until they smell you in your bed, then they come out to feast on you at night... You only see them in your bed if you are in your bed already and they have started to come out, therefor making it very hard to discover that you have the problem... Thus the fact that it has taken us from May 24th until now to see that this was what our issue was.

All I have asked is that our room is treated for these bugs, since it is only an issue in our bedroom and nowhere else in my home. We have four other bed in our home and NONE of them have bugs - that was the first thing we checked when we had the issues... We have had to sleep elsewhere in our home Since August 15th when we discovered what the actual problem was... I have set off bed bug bombs in my bedroom and when returning to my room, there were still bugs living there (which I have swept up and then discarded the vacuum contents and cleaned the hoses as recommended online for removal)

So now our question is... What are you going to do about it? I have already talked to many people who have wanted to purchase a bed, and who live in my local area. They are now concerned that they will have the same issue and they will most likely purchase a different company's bed. They do not want to have the same headache that I am dealing with. I am prepared to take this to whatever level I need to to get the problem fixed to my satisfaction. I will look forward to hearing from you.

• Tr
      29th of Aug, 2012

OMG! I only wish I had seen all this before we purchased our Sleep number bed. We have just discovered our infestation a mere 9 days after the extra foam and "cooling mattress topper" were delivered to our door to prevent us from triggering the 30 day return policy! We feel lucky that we are able to return the mattress. We were told by Sleep Number Co that it was IMPOSSIBLE and they could not accept return if we had BB. My brilliant Husband told them that if they said there were no BB then we said there were no BB and we wanted to trigger the return. What can we do!!! IF we pursue the BB issue they will NOT accept return of bed! I have lived here over 25 years and NEVER EVER had this issue! Consumer Beware!

• Wi
      30th of Aug, 2012

We returned our bed and received a refund 85 days after we bought it... we are still dealing with the VA department of health who are looking into the issue. do you live in VA as well??? Would love to talk more with you about this... I think there should be a class action lawsuit against them. I spent $2625 getting my house treated fir the bugs... I am still waiting for them to pay for that... my email is wix_n_stix (at) Yahoo (dot) com lets talk more. Jen

• Vi
      22nd of Apr, 2017

I bought my bed in Dec 2017 and almost immediately began to be bit, on average about twice a week.
    I was more concerned about how uncomfortable the mattress was, as I had an old back injury I was searching for relief from and spent some months initially complaining about the cost vs. benefits of an air mattress with a foam topper improving my restless sleep.
    Once the company provided a new gel topper, the bug situation became the prominent issue.
    I noticed two new bites, usually on my legs or inside my pajama waistband about twice a week. We have mosquitoes during the wet months and so attributed the bites to that, but there was this nagging intuition that the bites began with the new bed.
    Months later, the frequency and amount of bites have increased incrementally and always in the same area.
    We've torn the bed apart, vacuumed, washed bedding, bought new mattress cover, moved the mattress to look for eggs, etc. but can't find the source.
    Now we need to bomb for bugs, and god, wadda hassle it's become!
    I just want to get rid of the nasty thing. Customer service denies they send out buggy beds, yet old mattresses are on the truck with new, and our delivery was the last one of the day. They will Sell me a new bed, but won't accommodate me for the bugs they brought into my bedroom.
    I'm so over this bed, and we will be paying it off for months! I just want it out of my house.

• Vi