S.E.F. Publishers / Scam and cheating!

1 3878 SR 64 EBradenton, FL, United States Review updated:
Phone: 941-301-6862

About 6 months ago, I got a call from this company talking about magazine subscriptions and getting a $1000 online shopping spree too. Before I knew if I had gotten into paying $33.76 a month for 15 months. But hey, 5 years of all the magazines I like sounded alright. The second month, I had been charged twice that month. I called and got a nice apology and a promise it would never happen again. Next month, same thing and this time the lady promised me that I would skip the next 2 months and not be charged until December.

The next 2 months, same thing charged twice each month. I was very angry because all this money coming out of my account without me knowing was overdrawing my account and giving me fees from my bank. I spoke to a couple ladies on the phone, one just told me I was lucky because I did not have many more payments to go and the other lady said she did not like to talk to upset people and might hang up on me. After holding for 10 min, someone else came back on, said they would refund 2 payments and the account lady would call me back after she was not busy.

Never got a call back, but did see one of the payments refunded and i was starting to feel a little relieved. But now after looking at my bank statements from Dec. and Jan., not only was I charged $33.76, but now also $67.52. Now when I call the office, no one seems to be able to find my account!

Va

Comments

• Ka
      20th of Feb, 2008

I also am having a problem with this "company" in that charges have been levied against my account and I don't even know what they are for. And of course, after the first "I'll call you back" conversation with the woman at the phone number above ("Judy"), I've gotten no answers to my messages.

I suggest that you send a certified letter to the address you have, and also that you ahve your bank take care of the overcharges. In addition, filing a complaint with the Better Business Bureau in Florida would be a good idea. I'll let you know if I come up with any other agencies with whom to complain, or who may advocate for you (and me).

20th of Feb, 2008

My bank had this phone number for S.E.F Publishers, so you may want to try this one (I'm not going to bother - my bank's fraud department will be contacting them)

(941) 744-5124

Good luck!!!!

26th of Feb, 2008

I highly agree with this statement. I was with the "company" four years ago and even though I had never received any of my "gifts" that they lurred me into the company with I did receive one of the number of magazines I ordered. When I called the company to complain that I was not receiving my magazines, and had never received my gift, but was being faithfully charged every month; I was told that I could not cancel, another gift would be sent to me, and I would receive a catalog so that I could choose new magazines. Needless to say I was forced to continue paying, did not receive my gift, and never received any other magazines. Years passed and I never thought about the company again, yesterday I received a threatening letter from the company. I was told that I needed to pay $138 to cancel and avoid being taken to court, which they informed me would be costly to me. When I tried to call Judy 941-301-6862 she answered the phone laughingly saying "hello" I was not sure if it was a real company so I asked. I was then told to not call unless I would be making a payment, rambled a phone number and hung up on. I have since spent an hour on the phone trying to reach someone; was continuously hung up on, called a "###" and asked if I had mental problems. I am not going to pay the company any more money or give them anymore of my time. I do not know if they will take me to court, but I will just have to wait and see. If anyone wants to help me with this feel free to contact me via the email I provided earlier.

3rd of Mar, 2008

I just received my threatening letter, half hand written sayinng to pay $138.00.

I, too, tried to contact Judy Nye, who answered the phone "Hello" which made me question if this was a place of business.

She was rude and told me I was "talking to myself" whicle she carried on other conversations, with me on the other end of an open line, for almost seven minutes.

When I explained that I had not even received ONE mazaine after paying of over a year, she stated, That's not my problem."

I hung up.

This company has got to be stopped. Just reading the complaints here, $1000's of dollars are being bilked from honest people with no intention of delivering the service it advertises by its callers.

2nd of May, 2008

Twice I have received threatening letters demanding payment of $138.00 for what, I don't know. Today I decided to phone them and find out what the heck they are talking about. Judy told me that I had ordered the magazines and then canceled and there is a cancellation fee of $138.00. She stated that the cancellation fee was on the contract. I told her that I didn't know what she was talking about, and the magazines I am supposed to have ordered are not one I read nor did I receive. She said she knew that but because I canceled I had to pay the fee. I told her to take me to court because I am not paying for something I didn't order or receive. She then said that I would be receiving the papers in the mail about going to court. They will see me in court, this sounds like a scam and I don't even remember ever giving my credit card number out over the phone for magazines.

5th of Jun, 2008

Agree... Judy Nye is a person who is probably the rudest person I have ever spoken with.

I think they have no legal leg to stand on. Their whole company is GOING DOWN, and they are desperate. That is why they are still illegally taking money from people's accounts and credit cards.

THEY MUST BE STOPPED AND THEY WILL!!!

• Da
      15th of Jun, 2008

I also received threatening letters, starting in January 08. I was telemarketed two years ago and just like everyone else they started taking money, when it was not agreed. There was to be a free trial period but they started taking money within 48 hrs. I called and cancelled and they tried to tell me it was too late to cancel. Having to prove to them it was within the 10 days allowed, after 2-3 weeks they deposited the $70 some dollars back in my account.

Now, two years later, I am getting threatening letters that if they send the $138 cancellation fee to an attorney, it will be costly to me! WHAT!!?? So now this ruins our credit and they are still screwing people? They NEVER mention a cancellation fee!

Dawn
    Wisconsin

1st of Jul, 2008

I have also been charged a $138.00 cancellation fee for products not received. I disputed the charge through my credit card company, who found it to be unauthorized and refunded back. A man from the company called my cell phone, pretending to be from my credit card company, telling me that the charge was found to be authorized, and I would need to sign a letter stating that I would pay the $138.00 so I was not having to go to court. When the letter was received, I realized that it was from SEF Publishers, not my credit card company. I called Judy, at SEF, and was also hung up on and received threatening messages from her for days.

• Te
      5th of Aug, 2008

The same thing happened to me just 2 monthes ago. The same people and the same $138.00. The only difference was I cancelled my bank account after I finished my payments to them and almost 2 years later I recieve a letter saying they want another credit card number. I called Judy and asked what was going on and told her there was no way I was giving her my card number. She told me with all my late fees I owd over $800.00 and she was doing me a favor with the $138. She hung up on me several times. I recieved a few more letters threatning to take me to court and a collection agency. I don't want my credit ruined, I've worked to hard for it, so I paid them. I had no idea so many people have been ripped off by SEF until today. These people need to be stopped ASAP!

8th of Aug, 2008

I had the same problem with this company! I paid off what I had left on my account because i was getting charged twice a month, i cancelled my contract- received a letter saying it was cancelled and signed by miss Judith herself, and never heard anything from them for almost year, than all of a sudden I get a charge on my card for 158.00. So, i call to find out what their trying to charge me for and I get the same story about being taken to court (from "Judy" saying I was notified, which i wasn't, i haven't heard anything from them in a year) and that they are doing me a favor by getting it out of the way now. I went on to ask why I wasn't notified and why their barely contacting me now..? Judy went on to tell me Ive been avoiding her calls and throwing away the letters and that she'll get her money.. this is not true, lucky for me I still have the paperwork proving my account was cancelled with no charges needed. Please stay clear of this company they are obviously Scammers! The more people who are aware of this the better we can't keep letting this company get away this.

8th of Aug, 2008

also, the charge i received is recent i saw it in my account yesterday.

27th of Aug, 2008

This is rediculous! How in the world are they getting away with this?! This same thing has happened to me only it was about 4 years ago when I first got that call and got sucked into this scam. I used a mastercard debit card rather than a real credit card so they withdrew right out of my checking. I did, however, receive my magazines. . or at least some of them for about 3 years. I kept track of all my payments and counted down each month until I was done. Sometime after my payments stopped I accidentally lost that card and had it cancelled. Then in Jan. 08 I received that same letter saying I own that $138 cancellation fee and that they would take me to court if I didn't pay it. Well I knew I had payed what I owed each month so I ignored it. Then in April I received the exact same letter saying the same thing. So I figured I would give "judy" a call it figure this out. Well, no surprise, she was extremely rude to me. The letters say that they have been trying to reach me by mail and phone (my address and phone number have remained the same all these years) so I told her that I haven't had any contact from them ever. And she flipped out on me! She said they she was just trying to help and that they were just going to take me to court, then she hung up on me. So I filed a complaint with the BBB and left it at that. Now it's August and I received ANOTHER letter saying exactly the same things as the other two, only this one says FINAL NOTICE on it. So I don't know what to do. . .Do I attempt calling "judy" again only to be belittled, yelled at, and hung up on again, or do I let it be and see what happens, or do I pay them just to get them off my back (I don't really want to give them any more of my money.)? Has anyone one been taken to court by them? Let me know! Thanks. . .Best of luck to all of you!!

• Do
      3rd of Sep, 2008

I just recently got duped for 189.99 by SEF and when I called the number, Judy told me I had to have an invoice number. Since I have had no dealings with this company since 2002, and I did not purchase anything on 8/29/08 which is when they took the money out, I did not have an invoice number. I told Judy that they took unauthorized money from my account and she yelled at me that if I didn't have an invoice number I could not prove anything. I was crying and she asked me my name and phone number. I told her what it was and she said she would call me right back. I replied okay and she yelled into the phone, "I said I would call you right back so hang up the damned phone." I have never heard from her. I did come across a number for the receptionist and that number is 1-888-239-5501. I called it and got a girl named Sandra. She said she would look into it even though she is just the receptionist. She pulled up my name and announced that I did have an invoice number!! How could that be? It was from 2002!! She listened to my complaint and said that she would give this message to Judy and have her call me tomorrow which will be 9/04/08. We shall see what happens. My bank refused to fill out the fraud papers and told me that I had to get the money back from them on my own. The law states that they MUST and HAVE to do the paperwork in a case like this but they decided not to!! So I turned them in to the Banking Commission. One way or another I will get my money back. I will call it a miracle if I do and hopefully never have dealings with these crooks from SEF again.

16th of Sep, 2008

I have never had any dealings with this company, I don't read magazines, and I was charged 189.99 on September 8th- to a credit card which I have not physically had in over a year! After reading these comments, I'm not even going to bother borrowing a cellphone to call long distance- I already filed a dispute with the credit card company and will change my account number. I will also file a BBB complaint.

6th of Oct, 2008
    S.E.F. Publishers - faud
    S.E.F. Publishers
    3878 sr 64 E
    Bradenton
    Florida
    Phone: 941-301-6862

they keep trying to get money from me even after I canceled now they are saying i owe them a cancelation fee even though i completed my contract saying i singed things i haven't and not mailing me any type of documents. Telling me they will take me to court if i don't pay and never giving me a reason or like i said documentation.

• Br
      27th of Oct, 2008

I have been feeling bad about how FOOLISH I was for agreeing to these magazine subscriptions from someone calling ME... but as it happened, I needed to renew three different magazine subscriptions, so went for it. that was back in February - never received ONE of the promised magazines that i had chosen - and have payed almost $700.00 before i stopped payment through my bank. I spoke to MANY people promising i would get a call back - and NEVER got a hold of Judy (left five messages for her). Finally, I was told by a "Mr. O'brien" that I would never win in a small claims court and that I still owed another $299.89 (I laughed out loud over the phone when he told me this). He refused to answer the questions I had - simply avoiding them by telling me that I should have my attorney call them. I think we need to file a class-action lawsuit against S.E.F. Publishers - will have to ask a friend of mine who is an attorney.

14th of Nov, 2008

I received a credit card statement for a credit card that I had not used in 4 years with a balance on it for $158.00 for a charge from S.E.F Publishers. I called the credit card company who gave me the number for S.E.F Publishers. I called and spoke with a woman named Judy who told me that she was doing me a favor by charging me the fee. I asked what it was for. She said I had ordered magazines on 10/12/05 and then canceled the order on 10/28/05, so I was being charged a cancellation fee. I told her that the charge was posted to my credit card on 08/30/08- 3 years after the magazine subscription was canceled. I told her that it wasn't a valid charge and that's when her attitude changed. She said, "Are you serious, are you serious??!!!" and I said, yes. She then told me to "Shut up" and just listen to someone for a change. At this point I was shaking and could not believe this was happening. I asked again why the charges were accessed 3 years later and she told me she had already explained that 3 times and that I was too stupid to figure it out. I told her that she wasn't providing good customer service in which she replied that she was a paralegal. She then told me that if I filed a dispute with my credit card company that I would be taken to court/lien put on all my credit cards and charged $3700. I then asked what that was for and she said, "Just file a dispute, I would love to see our lawyers take you for everything you have." She then hung up on me. I called back and spoke with receptionist. I told her what had happened and she gave me the name of Mr. Obrien to speak with. I told her that Judy wasn't stable enough to talk to and that she had called me stupid, told me to shut up and had hung up on me. I then called the number for Judy back and she answered the phone with "HOLD". As I was holding, Judy was talking to the receptionist and said, "I don't care if she doesn't like the charges, she's being charged anyways", and "When those people call tell them that you are the receptionist, that you can't help them and hang up." Judy never picked the phone up again. I called a third time and this time Judy answered the phone with, "Hello (my first name)." Nice way to answer the phone. I asked to speak with Mr. O'brien. Judy told me that I had to talk with her. I told her that she was completely irrational and that I couldn't speak with her. I told her that if she hung up the phone one more time, and then she replied with, "What, are you going to drive all the way down here from Wisconsin?!" She then hung up again. I have now filed a formal dispute with my credit card company/the better business bureau of Florida and the FTC. This company is never going to take someone for granted again. Anyone on here have a Capital One credit card charged in connection to this charge? I was wondering if maybe Capital One is working with that company. Just trying to figure out everything going on here. I'm so angry right now with the way Judy acted and she's completely unstable.

• Va
      1st of Dec, 2008
    S.E.F. Publishers - Terrible experience
    S.E.F. Publishers
    sefpublishers.com

I received a letter in the mail from this company that stated they had been unsuccessful in having any response from me either by phone or mail in regards to an account. Also that my fees were multiplying and this account will be going to court at the end of November with their legal team.

Also they found it important to inform me that if this goes to the attorneys, it will become very costly to me and they don't want to see that happen. Their instructions were to contact them as soon as possible to stop court proceedings and let us both work together to pay this account. Hand wrote stated 'Pay ASAP $189.99 to pay my account in full or this will go to court for a cost up to $200.00 plus additional fees, must be paid in full by 10/28/08!'

At first I could not figure out what or who these people were. The letter appears to be a copy of a fax that was then hand wrote on and copied again then mailed to me. I remembered ordering some magazines from my young cousin for a school fund raiser some time back and recalled that I had some problems with them after I paid a few of the bills.

I went back into my records and found the invoice for the magazines and sure enough the company read S.E.F. Publishers Marketing Services. The address was different: 2201 Cantu Court, Suite 210 Sarasota, FL 34232. My records show I contacted them on 03/10/04 to cancel and they stated to watch for info in the mail. I do not recall any info but I did not receive any magazines, bills or debts from my account until this letter I received today.

I paid with checks and the account used has been closed for some time. The bills from 2004 have customer service numbers listed and the invoice number matches the invoice number they site today.