Security Associates International / Fraudulent company

I called Security Associates International, Inc. (SAI) to cancel my contract and they told me, 'No problem, but you'll get a bill for $679.83.'

I moved! I can imagine a $100 or $200 early termination fee, but to have to pay the entire remaining term on a 36 month contract? I asked 'is that legal?' and they told me it's a binding contract.

I will join a class action lawsuit or an effort to have this kind of shady practice BANNED.

Jo

Comments

Ka
  28th of Jan, 2009

OMG! I am having all kinds of trouble with this company!!! I have had this system since may 2006 and it has maybe worked 1 month. I have called some many times, I can't count anymore! The sensors are not even lined up correctly to turn on system. The alarm they put in my garage so guess what you couldnt hear it if it did work! They will not let you out of a contract! Thank GOD my ends in a few months. I have even talked to the head of customer service! This is really a joke. I hope something can be done with companies like these. Everytime I call I am promised a call back but of course never get one. There needs to be a class action suit!

Ke
  28th of Apr, 2009

I contracted to SAI in 2008 because I was told SAI systems were better than ADT which was the system I had at the time. The sales person made no note of a 5 year contract and I have attempted to cancel and was told that I would have to pay the entire amount of the contract in order to do so. This is a scam. Recently I was sent mail telling me that SAI has been Aquired by Castle Rock. Was SAI aquired by Castle Rock because SAI had swindled some many people and who is Castle Rock. I want ADT back.

5th of May, 2009

I am dealing with the same thing. SAI gave me the same run around and Castle Rock is holding me to the same contract. Interesting that the price for terminating the contract quoted was the same as Joan quoted to the penny. The equipment originally installed was NEVER connected to an outside service.

Su
  8th of May, 2009

When I called a couple of months ago to cancel, they told me to call back in May. It's may and Castle Rock won't let me out of my contract either!! THIS IS RIDICULOUS AND UNETHICAL!! PLEASE MAKE SURE IF YOU HAVE THEM TO SEND DOCUMENTATION WAY AHEAD OF TIME!! They automatic renew all contracts and don't let you know anything and won't let you out! This is a horrible experience.

Da
  13th of May, 2009

My name is David Brown and I am the Director of National Operations for CastleRock Security, Inc. I was given information on this website and have read all of the comments.

To all customers of CastleRock Security (formerly SAI):

Please feel free to contact me to discuss your situation and I will try and provide some resolution.

My direct number is 800-323-7601 x1041

Thank you and I look forward to speaking with any of our customers

18th of May, 2009

I have called and left a message for David Brown and await his return call. In my instance, we had paid for 3 years up front, but last year when we called we were told that we could not cancel early(when the contract explicitly states that we can cancel at any time if the account is paid in full) and that we needed to call closer to the renewal date. In addition to that issue, about a year into the contract we were told that our transmitter would be useless and that to continue being monitored we would have to shell out about $400 for a new transmitter (we didn't have a land line, but were told this was no problem as they had cellular transmitters) or else we would no longer be monitored (but would still be paying for the monitor service) - We tried to ask why this was being done (the letter said that the old transmitter - the one that they told us was "state of the art" when installed was now out of compliance, and it is our responsibility to replace it - with their new equipment, of course...) - we could never get a straight answer from the folks at SAI so have had a non operational alarm system that we paid for 3 years on and now are being told we have to pay another year

...we will see what Mr Brown is able to do for us, and I will be sure to post a follow up after we hear back from him...hopefully he takes this opportunity to clear Castle Rock's good name...

27th of May, 2009

I left a message for Mr Brown over a week ago, but have not heard back from him at this time. I will try to contact him again today...

10th of Jun, 2009

Having still heard nothing from Mr Brown, I have left another VM asking for his return call. In addition, I just received a bill from them in the mail, even with our outstanding complaints. Mr Brown, if you are truly interested in helping your customers, please return my calls! (Josh Brewington)

Ke
  10th of Jun, 2009

I only just received the information about Mr Brown and haven't contacted him, but will tomorrow. I think everyone of us who has had a problem with this company should should start legal action against them. I have never heard of a contract that lasts this long and it has to be illegal. All I can say to everyone is, Keep calling this company until they get sick and tired of us and maybe even contact the news media which is what I intend to do.

Mo
  2nd of Jul, 2009

Castle Rock is attempting to hold me liable for another year of alarm fees under the automatic renewal noted within the initial contract. Once Castle Rock took over where SAI left off they did not bother to return any calls regarding contract questions. SAI failed to send a copy of the contract upon request. In fact, Castle Rock only called when my direct payments stopped at the end of the initial contract term. In writing and via telephone, I have requested clarification on the specific charges they are seeking payment, indicatedthat I do not wish to do business with this company, and notified them of the state statutes regarding automatic contract renewal, yet the letters and phone calls persist.

According to state law, both in Illinois where Castle Rock initiates billing and in Nevada where the contract was embarked upon three years ago, the law is clear and concise regarding automatic contract renewal. Castle Rock is obligated to notify customers IN WRITING or IN PERSON prior to the renewal deadline. Neither state will enforce judgement against a customer for failing to honor state statutes. Investigate your state law in regards to automatic contract renewal as 23 states will not honor the contract beyond a month to month status. Castle Rock is engaging in deceptive business practices.

Furthermore, Castle Rock has pending class action litigation in New Mexico and their collection service, Anderson, Crenshaw & Associates has multiple lawsuits against them. In Texas, Anderson, Crenshaw & Associates already lost their case regarding deceptive business practices.

16th of Jul, 2009

Still no return call from Mr Brown - even spoke with their customer service department (Ricky B would not give me her full name) and she was as rude as I have become accustomed to that company being. She argued with me that they had offered free equipment (we were told explicity by SAI we had to pay) and that we never asked to cancel (she actually said she only saw one notation and that we said we "Didn't" want to cancel - makes no sense!). She refused to give me their legal department, and would offer no more information or assistance of value. She tried to quote legaleeze to me, but obvious she was in over her head, as when she realized I have legal counsel consulting me on this, she had "nothing to say" to me. I called and left a message with Mr Brown, but then contacted my lawyer at home (Sorry Joe!) and he told me to quit trying to deal with them - they have already sent a collection notice after 1 month, and at this point he told me to do 2 things:

1. Send a cancellation letter immediately, and be sure to be explicit in that any more attempts at collection would be considered harrasment.

2. Contact my State Attorney General to file a formal complaint.

I will continue to update my site in hopes that my experience is able to help others avoid the same frustration that these last several months have brought to me and my family...

27th of Jul, 2009

I recently disconnected all the components of the security system Castle Rock is supposed to be monitoring. So far I haven't heard from them. Nothing. No E-mail. no Phone call, no smoke signals. So either they don't know which means they're not monitoring anything coming from my house, or they don't care. Regardless, I'm paying a monthly fee for nothing. I believe there is power in numbers. Anyone who is having trouble with castle rock, please contact me. Let's get them stopped. jmeyer1818@gmail.com

31st of Jul, 2009

Ok, so the past few weeks have seen a lot of traction on my issue - David Brown Returned my call, and has been very responsive. He listened to my situation, then took care of it on his end - very empathetic and impressively, apologetic for the situation. I never had to send a letter to the Attorney General, as he vowed to take care of it for me. Truly appreciate his help, and definitely better late than never. As far as the overall company goes, I would say forget dealing with their customer service folks - I spent way more time than I needed to with them. If not for this board, and David's response, I would probably still be nowhere. So my advice, especially, is to be calm and rational and speak to someone (David) that has the ability to help. Once I was able to get over that hurdle, things were done quickly.

Nice save, David, and thanks!

Gn
  3rd of Aug, 2009

They got me with the automactic contract renew too!!

We moved out of our house where we had service with Apex/SAI/Castlerock and into a new house. We kept the old house and rented it out to tenets. When the tenets moved out we called to cancel the service because the house was empty and we no longer needed the service. We talk to a representative January 2009 who told us that we were under contract and that our 3 year contract wouldn't be up until June 2009. After numerous attempts to cancel we were stuck with paying 6 months for a service we no longer needed or used. When June arrive I saw another charge on my credit card account from this company and immediately called. I ask them why are they still charging my account when my 3 years is up. The representative told me that my account had been renewed for another year. "Renewed by who!" I said. He told me it automatically renewed and if I want to cancel I would have to pay $500…. $500 for something I have no need or use for! I told him "it just renewed why can't you just cancel my account." He told me that I didn't write a letter to cancel. I told him I called you and January and told you I wanted to cancel but if you want me to write a letter I would do that. He told me it was too late to write a letter because you have to write it a month before the renewal date. This is totally unfair! I can't believe this is legal! I can understand the 3 year contract if you have to pay for the equipment but after you fulfill the 3 years you should be able to cancel at anytime. I am pissed and will do everything in my power not to give this company another dime. If anyone knows of anything we can do or any class action suit please let me know.

Ra
  9th of Jan, 2010

I purchased my home security system August 12, 2006 from a door-to-door APX alarm sales person. I, like many others, should have known better and should have trusted my instinct that this was a bad idea. The sales person was very pushy and required a signed agreement that day with installation the same day.

Before our contract was up (about 30 months into the 3 year contract) our phone system and the APX system quit communicating with each other and I effectively no longer had security for which I was paying. After several calls to the phone company and APX (now Castle Rock) each blamed the other for the problem. I told Castle Rock I wanted to terminate and they reminded me that I had signed a 3-year contract and that I couldn't terminate until then (if I did terminate I would still owe for the remainder of the term), so I told them I would be terminating at the end of the 3-year contract. Finally, after three long years we completed our contract obligations. I called Castle Rock a couple weeks after the 3-year contract is over to cancel my subscription. To my surprise I was told I've already been enrolled in an additional 1 year contract since I didn't send a written letter 30 days prior to my original contract termination date. I wrote the letter immediately and sent it to them. They didn't accept. I have been battling with them ever since. It has become apparent to me that all they want is the money. They really don't care that my system doesn't work. They have already turned me over to Anderson Crenshaw collection agency.

I agree with another disgruntled Castle Rock "customer" who said "How in the world was I supposed to remember three years later to send a written letter to terminate my contract 30 days prior! Who does business like this? Like many other customers, my contract has changed hands three times in the three year commitment I signed up for. My original contract was with APX alarms, who then sold my contract to SAI and SAI now goes by Castle Rock.

Luckily, I was in a paying position that I sent payments to them (Bill pay through my bank) rather than them taking money from my bank or credit card so I haven't paid them for the last four months of the automatically-renewed contract but they continue to send payment notices and collection warnings.

I have sent a report/complaint to the BBB regarding this situation.

What can I do to rid myself of these guys? Should I contact the state attorney general Tom Miller? Is this legal to have automatic renewal after 3 years with no recourse? Can they affect my credit score?

Di
  29th of Apr, 2010

It should be noted that the officers of the companies, APX, SAI and Castlerock are all the same people. They are changing the company name to rid themselves of the bad BBB reviews and FTC complaints. I urge everyone to file an FTC complaint and contact your state attorney's office to file a complaint as well.

Lm
  4th of May, 2010

I, too, am having the same issues with CastleRock Security which is the same as APX and SAI. Their security systems do not work properly yet these people still expect customers to not only pay for service but they continue to roll them over into new "contracts." According to an attorney I've spoken with, they are bound by Illinois law to provide written notice to customers informing them of the automatic renewal. Because they never do this they are engaging in deceptive business practices. I've also come across information indicating that their corporate status was revoked and they are in "not good standing" on the IL Secretary of State website. I have left messages with David Brown but not yet heard back which is not surprising. He indicated he wished to resolve issues but that's difficult to do when refusing to return phone calls.

4th of May, 2010

I'm in the same boat as everyone else, paid my dues for 3yr, just tried to cancel and they automatically renewed me for 1 more year. I want to join a class action lawsuit against them!

Lm
  5th of May, 2010

Spoke to Mr. Brown from CastleRock. He was helpful over the phone and has agreed to help me with this issue. Now I am waiting for him to send me the agreement in writing.

Di
  5th of May, 2010

Oh yeah, their collection company, is them. The Lawyers office they use out of Dallas forwards the mail to them in IL. It's an actual scam and the government needs to step in here and rid the planet of warts such as these guys/gal.

lmeckstro, I think you should continue with your suit against them.