Seattle Coffee GearSells open box and possibly used products as new

I purchased an espresso machine from Seattle Coffee Gear in Seattle Washington. There was only one model of the particular machine I wanted. Prior to purchasing I asked the sales associate if they had any other boxes in back as the one I was sold appeared to have been opened. The sales person assured me that it was a brand new machine and had not been opened. I took the sales rep at their word and purchased the machine.

When I got home I started to get everything ready to set up the product – unfortunately, I found several packing slips and invoices to another customer (from June 2008) that indicated the machine had shipped to another Seattle Coffee Gear's customer in Utah six months earlier.

I contacted Seattle Coffee Gear and was told by Gail that the machine was not supposed to have been sold and should not have been “out front” as it WAS sent to, and quite possibly used, by another customer. I was also told that no additional money could be taken off sales price as it was already priced so low. I will be returning the product ASAP -- but be warned, Gail's statement tells me that they will fix up the box and remove the evidence of prior shipment from the box and once again try to sell the product as new.

Be very wary of purchasing new products from Seattle Coffee Gear as they appear to have an informal company policy of reselling returned, opened, and possibly used products as "New". Doing some basic searches on the Internet will I turned up another review on this board that revealed another user in a similar situation: https://www.complaintsboard.com/complaints/seattle-coffee-gear-c141192.html

Se

Comments

• Vi
      Feb 11, 2009

We indeed do not sell "returned" or "used" equipment as new as a matter of policy. Clearly in this case and error was made on our part in our retail store. This customer brought the machine back into our store as was offered to have all of their money refunded for our error. In the end they decided they would rather keep this machine and we provided a discount for the error. I believe this customer left our store 100% satisfied with our service and resolution of this mistake. Victor, President, Seattle Coffee Gear [protected] x710)

• Ny
      Feb 19, 2011

I noticed that Victor Gehlen stopped short of saying that his company NEVER sells used equipment as new, and that they would NEVER do so. He said only that they don't do it "as a matter of policy." What does that mean? Does that mean they don't do it regularly, but that they do it sometimes?

• Ny
      Feb 19, 2011

Reposted legibly: I noticed that Victor Gehlen stopped short of saying that his company NEVER sells used equipment as new and that they would NEVER do so. He said only that they dont do it as a matter of policy. What does that mean? Does that mean they dont do it regularly, but that they do it sometimes?