Sears, Roebuck and Co / kenmore upright freezer

Phone:

I am writing to you with a problem I have about an upright Kenmore freezer that was purchased about a year ago, along with an extended warranty. My daughter and family came to visit me from California, I live in Nebraska, to celebrate my 71st. birthday. Knowing they were coming I stocked up on a couple of beef roasts, fresh vegatables, and deserts, two icecream cakes, and three gallons of ice cream. This was done about ten or so days before they arrived. The morning after they got here I opened the freezer door to remove one of the roasts for dinner that night, and immediatly got physically ill. The smell was overwellmeaning undiscribable. Some time in between putting the food in the freezer, and taking the food out the freezer quit working, and the red light never went off warning me of a problem with the unit. The freezer was crawling with live MAGGOTS and of course all of the food was ROTTEN. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ME. Thank goodness my family was here to throw out the food, because I know I could not have cleaned it out myself. What a great homecoming gift I gave them. I got on the phone and called SEARS HOME SERVICES, the next day a service tech arrived at my home and inspected the unit. He informed me of the problem which was a CIRCUIT BOARD CONTROL UNIT failure. He informed me the unit would be replaced free of charge since I had the extended warranty coverage on it . I asked him if there was a chance that the freezer could be replaced, I don't think I will ever be able to get the smell or the image of all those maggots out of my memory. He called his supervisor and asked if it could be replaced, his supervisor said no, and the two other people that had the same control panel replaced, were told to keep the freezer door opened and put newspaper down on the bottom shelf and some baking soda on top of the paper, and eventually the smell would go away. He wasn't sure of how long it would take, maybe several weeks. This is one reason why I am writing this complaint to you the Sears Co. If this was an isolated incident, I wouldn't be as upset as i am, I would still be writing to you and asking for a replacement freezer. But knowing now that two other people had the exact same problem with the same Kenmore freezer Model#[protected], Serial#WB64323390 in the same general area of Nebraska that makes me wonder if maybe there is some type of manufacturer's flaw that Sears knows nothing about, or it is known by Sears, and they aren't letting the general public aware of the problem, because of the cost of replacing the appliances to the probility of thousands of owners. I am a widow, living alone, on a Social Security income. My late husband and myself have been loyal Sears customers since the early 1960's. Every hand tool and power tool that we have owned has been a Craftman's tool, almost every home appliance has been a Kenmore brand, our lawnmowers, our shoes, our clothes, our televisions, and even alot of our pets were purchased at Sears, our children, and grandchildern are carrying on the tradition, by purchasing Sears products. By writing this letter to you I am hopeful that you will do the right thing and replace the unusable (I'll never use it again) Kenmore Upright Freezer with a brand new freezer, so the tradition will continue on with me and my family.
Rose M. Hill