Sears / certegy

1 Ojai, CA, United States Review updated:

I was totally embarrassed and humiliated when my check was not approved at SEARS! I knew I had money in my checking account and I had excellent credit. The clerk was not very helpful in explaining to me why my check was
not approved. I asked to speak to her supervisor, who promptly arrived. I explained to her that my check should be good, because I knew I had money in my account. She did not apologize or give me an explanation on why my check was not being approved. Instead she told me to call the telephone number on the back of the check. If any of you know, by calling the company(Certegy), they will not tell you why your check was refused! They told me to fill out a Certegy Gold Form, which would increase my chances of my check approval. Hello...I have money in my checking account!!!
I asked the person from Certegy to give my a list of companies that uses their services. I do not ever want to go to those businesses that could possibly refuse my checks! Of course getting a list was impossible.
Now, if SEARS or CERTEGY had told me, that because I had not written checks at SEARS before, I did not have a history there.(good or bad?) If Certegy had done a better job checking into my account, they would known that I have charged my appliances there! Which, by the way, I will NO LONGER DO!!!
My point is this: If the SEARS clerk had explained to me in the beginning, that the reason my check was not approved, may not have been because of insufficient. But no history of writing checks at SEARS before! Okay, that would makes sense. I would not have been so HUMILIATED and EMBARRASSED!
That's my true story in a "nut shell". JoAnn from California

Comments

• Me
      14th of Jul, 2008

I work at Sears as a cashier and it really isn't Sears fault that your check was rejected. We do contract through Certegy but they are a very large company and quite a few companies go through them. As a cashier, I usually do not have a problem with the company and people writing their checks, but the other day I had a teenager write a check and it had me call into Certegy for an approval. I called into the automated machine, it gave me an approval number, and that did not work. I then was sent to a customer service lady at Certegy who did nothing and said she'd forward me to another customer service person who would help me with the approval number. Instead, I was forwarded to the automated line that said "Sorry, here at Certegy blah blah blah we're sorry for any inconvenience that your check was declined." So I cleared out of the screen and rescanned the check and whaddya know, it went through, no problems. I hate the system.

As for your comment- "Now, if SEARS or CERTEGY had told me, that because I had not written checks at SEARS before, I did not have a history there.(good or bad?)"

That has NOTHING to do with anything-- we have out of towners come in all the time and normally it just asks for your License # and DOB.

"If the SEARS clerk had explained to me in the beginning, that the reason my check was not approved, may not have been because of insufficient."
    It does NOT show up on our screen why you are not approved or anyone else. DON'T blame this on the clerk, blame it on Certegy. There is absolutely NOTHING we can tell you more than it was rejected because *we DO NOT know!!!* Why don't we know? Because of privacy acts so people don't complain that the clerks know private information, etc. Our screen simply says to call in and get a confirmation number.

I'm personally sorry for your experience at Sears but there's nothing more we can do but follow what Certegy says. It is a large inconvenience to us also because we have to call in and we do feel horrible if you truly have sufficient funds but are rejected. Sometimes, as with debit cards, writing too many checks in a day can cause it to get rejected and obviously insufficient funds. We aren't told why it was, but just to refer you to the printout on the back of the check.

Please do not take your experience out on Sears-- there's nothing more the managers can do, either.
    Believe me, there are plenty more screwups that are Sears' fault- and that's not one of them.

8th of Aug, 2008

Exactly what Meghan said: Sears employees do NOT know anything about your account, why your cheque didn't go through. Think about it - privacy acts are there for a reason, lady. Grow up.