Sears / Lawnmower / hassle free return within 30 days policy is a rip off!

Sears has no intention of honoring their "hassle free return within 30 days " policy. I purchased a lawnmower from sears and it worked for 15 minutes. I put fresh gasoline and an entire quart of oil in the lawnmower. When I tried to return the mower (less than 24 hours later), I was told that the lawn mower could not be returned because I broke it. I could not believe my ears! First they accused me of using gasoline that I had sitting around for over a year, which was false because I had just purchased fresh gas before my previous lawn mower broke that day. Then they said I did not put enough oil in the mower! Hello? I used a whole quart. They said I couldn't have.

To make a long story short, I had to send the mower out for repairs, that did not work in the first place, and was told that it would cost up to $110.00 to fix it!

Please, Please, Please, do not purchase any lawn equipment from Sears! It is a rip off!

A  10th of Nov, 2007 by
I have been going round and round with Sears trying to get my self propelled mower repaired. Despite having an extended warranty, I am told that the unit is not "covered" . Apparently an aging widow woman is the target of Sears campaign to obfuscate and cheat people. I took the mower in at the beginning of the mowing season this year because it was running rough. I was told that the crankshaft was bent which is not possible since the blade is designed to slip when it encounters an obstacle. Likely the carburetor had some old gas in it when I stored it and it varnished up the jets rather than the standard crankshaft bent baloney that Sears repair utilized to optimize its service charges. I told them to proceed with the $130 in repairs (on a $400 mower now!) and they kept the mower, sent it to Dallas, for several months. I then got a call telling me that the "Deck" needed to be replaced, seeking authorization to do so with the charges estimated to be over $300 on again a $400 mower that has been used ONLY ONE SEASON! That was when I engaged in a letter writing campaign that thus far has not produced any positive results with Sears' management. I have had repeated customer service contacts with repair pricing going from $122 to $180 (it is now nearly SIX MONTHS later!) for a repair estimate. They even sent it back to my Sears store as "repaired" but it was not even touched. The West Monroe Store sent it back and now the Dallas repair facility is again sending it back UNREPAIRED. I am filing a lawsuit in City court to recover my lawnmower and the damages. This is absolutely a total carnage and I will never never buy another Sears product so long as I live. I have been so upset over this that my blood pressure meds have had to be increased. It is absolutely incredible how screwed up Sears' response network is.
A  13th of Jul, 2015 by
this is exactly what I went through in Salt Lake City Utah had to rent mower at home depot when finally told the mower couldn't be fixed was told to go to my local store with original receipt and phone number was my reference number had to pick up defective mower at repair shop (a month later it also hadn't been touched)return to sears when I returned mower to store they could find no information on me getting a replacement mower. took the mower in the night before I was going to get the replacement so I didn't have to load and unload anymore didn't want to leave in trunk. took it to receiving signed in computer no one responded employees on lunch checked backroom still no one in sight, noticed computer screen said I was helped after 8mins still no one responded receiving persons name was Jerod some person named Jeff came to help find Jerod went in back and returned saying maybe he was having a cigarette, Jerod wasn't to be found, after nearly an hour he came walking out with a disgusting sneer on his face, told him I wasn't happy and he needed to remove bad mower from trunk and would need something to cut cord from trunk holding it down, he proceeded out to my car pissed off, I was talking to Jeff and watching JEROD remove my mower from car out receiving windows (supposed to be cameras) he was tugging on my trunk and had mower on ground started walking towards the receiving door my trunk was Open, I walked out and passed Jerod and said you could of shut my trunk. Jerod replied "It doesn't shut very good, in a very sarcastic way, I said "IT DID" my granddaughter was inside receiving doors and told us me and Jeff, Jerod put a his THUMB UP and had a BIG GRIN on his face. I preceded to try and shut my trunk which he had damaged. Told Jeff, he kept trying to close it still wouldn't lock I had to crawl in hatchback in over 100 degree temperatures and tie it shut from inside. I left very mad. It started all over the next day. Had conference call with lady at sears 800 number and a lady named Ysia (sp) in Salt Lake Store. Told her I was coming down to get replacement w/phone number, she said no problem. Got to store and went to garden shop told cashier what I needed and he directly called Ysia and asked her to come to garden shop that I was waiting, he was only cashier and at least 5 other people waiting. After over 30 min. and no Ysia, cashier called her
again she had gone TO LUNCH, we waited and she gave cashier instructions over phone now over an hour! Picked out new mower told them I wanted them to put it together, they were confused, told them I would be back that evening to pick it up and I would not deal w/Jerod. Store Manager Chris was waiting (I called to let them know I was on my way) he already knew what was going on. Got mower loaded, and Chris took pictures of lock (I again had to crawl into hatchback I'm 68 yr. old small statured women ) That was July 1, 2015 still waiting to hear from them. Didn't have a variety to pick from when replacing, upgraded at cost to me Am not happy with mower I got, to heavy to turn, to hard to adjust wheels Almost impossible, and no power, self-propelled lever is not easy on my hand hard to pull. Calling store today to return this one Will let you know how this goes

Sears Brands Logo Sears Brands