Sears — warranty repair
This is a copy of a complaint I sent Sears
Repair of Self Propelled push lawnmower
Left for in warranty repair 5/15/09 at Sears store, West Town Mall, Knoxville, TN
Picked up 6/12/09
I have been a long term Sears customer, and have bought my appliances and yard maintenance equipment mostly from Sears for over 30 years, because of Sears service. Because of this experience with trying to get my lawnmower repaired, I am going to have to find a new source for appliances and lawn equipment who can render effective service.
1. The mower’s self propelled feature stopped working.
2. On 5/15/09, I went to my local Sears store in Oak Ridge, Tennessee and verified the mower is still under warranty. The salesman gave me an 800 number to call for service. The person on the phone told me to take my mower to the Sears repair center on Weisgarber Road in Knoxville, TN.
3. Upon arrival at the service center at Weisgarber Road, I learned that facility was closing that day for good, within 2 hours of when I arrived. The clerk at that store told me to take it to Sears and West Town Mall for repair. I expressed that this was quite a hassle, and of course the clerk didn’t care, as it was his last day to work.
4. Upon arriving at Sears in West Town Mall in Knoxville, TN, I was informed that yes, they would be handling repairs, but they had not been trained on what to do, and did not know how to help me.
5. The clerk at the store in West Town Mall told me I would have to take the mower to East Town Mall, MILES oat of the way for me. I refused and told him they would have to figure out how to do the repairs, and I could not teach them how.
6. After finding the manager, which took quite a while, she told me I could leave it and they would ship to Chattanooga, TN to have it repaired.
7. At the West Town Mall Sears store in Knoxville, TN, the personnel took my mower but did not offer to give me a receipt for it, and told me they would call about it. I demanded a receipt, but had to wait until the manager arrived to write a receipt with a salescheck number.
8. After almost a month, I had not heard from the mower repair. In the meantime, we had to pay to have someone cut our grass 3 times.
9. I called on 6/12/09 to the Sears West Town store and spoke with 5 different people who got my name and telephone number and that I wanted to check on the status of the repair of my mower, and each time after holding someone else would answer and I had to start over again.
10. One of the people I spoke with told me the mower had been sent to Chattanooga, TN for repair, where it was sitting waiting on parts to arrive, and I would have to call them for the status. I insisted on speaking with a manager.
11. Finally I was connected with the manager at Sears Lawn and Garden Department in the West Town Mall in Knoxville, TN. She told me the mower was in Chattanooga and I would have to call them for status. She said she would call back and give me a toll free number to call in Chattanooga about the status. She said she could not tell me the status, and it was not her job to tell me. I told her I did not think this was an acceptable way to treat a customer.
12. I called the Sears toll free number, and told them the troubles I was having. I insisted that they should inform the manager it IS her job to check on the status and let me know. The person at the toll free number gave me the number in Chattanooga to call. I told them I didn’t think it should be my job to have to chase down the status of this repair.
13. While I was talking to the toll free number, the manager called on another phone and finally asked for the model number of the mower, serial number, etc.
14. After several more minutes the manager called my wife back, and SURPRISE they had found the mower repaired, at the West Town Mall store where it was available for pickup!
15. Considering all this trouble I have had with Sears on this repair, I cannot help taking a lesson that Sears does not care a d___n about service anymore. Do you know any reason I should think otherwise???? Why should I not next time instead buy from my local hardware store that has their own repair facility on site? Or why should I not by from a local appliance dealer who will be responsible for repairs? Why should I ever buy from Sears again???
16. Maybe another alternate next time would be to go to Best Buy next time. I already know they don’t care about service, and they ARE much cheaper than you are!
More Sears Complaints & Reviews
- [Resolved] Sears - customer service department 
- [Resolved] Sears / Kenmore Elite Refrigerator - poor quality product! 
- [Resolved] Sears / Kenmore Elite Oasis Washer Machine - terrible company! 
- Sears Kenmore Elite French Door Refrigerator - Dept of energy agreement does not compensate me properly 
- [Resolved] Sears Die Hard Gold Battery - it should be named the die easy battery 
- Sears Lawnmower - never worked properly 
- [Resolved] Sears Home Improvement &buyer Beware& - buyer beware/contracts changed 
- Sears - problems with restocking fee 
- Sears, Inc. - slow posting of payment on account
- [Resolved] Sears Mattress - did not receive item or refund