Sears Kenmore Washer / shame on sears

1 Atlanta, GA, United States Review updated:

I wanted to share the experience I had with the Kenmore washer I purchased at Sears. If this makes even one person think twice about their purchase, it's time well spent. Five years ago (in 2003) I bought a Kenmore front-loading washer and dryer at Sears. A couple of weeks ago the drum in the washer stopped spinning, as if it were off the track. Sears charged me $70 to spend 5 minutes looking at it, just to tell me it would cost $824.43 to repair. Tha'ts more than it cost me in the first place. Apparently the "bearing" went out, and the way it's designed it has to be taken apart and a LOT of parts replaced. A washer that is 5 years old and hasn't seen an unreasonable amount of use shouldn't break down so completely where the cost of fixing is greater than the cost of replacing. This is environmentally irresponsible as well- the last thing we need to be doing is throwing away tons of washers because they have parts that wear out easily and are designed in a way that makes them cost-prohibitive to fix. They admitted themselves that these wear out all the time- I wish they had told me that when I bought it. I wasn't even able to describe the problem to their repair center on the phone, you have to go through a machine, or report it online, so you have a $70 repair call. That they spent a total of 2 minutes in my house looking at the machine and still made me pay the $70, for what's apparently a common problem they could have diagnosed without even coming out here, is unconscionable.

Apparently Sears thinks its completely acceptable to manufacture and sell shoddy, hard to fix merchandise so that they can then charge a lot of money to fix it. I looked for contact information on their web site to provide feedback on my displeasure, but there is no way to email them or call them with complaints. For them to not have a way to be contacted, indicates to me that they must have a lot of unsatisfied customers.

Ja

Comments

• Mi
      13th of Nov, 2008

SEASR WANT COME OUT TO SERVICE OUR AREA BUT ON FRIDAY ONLY.THEN THEY CALL AT THE LAST MINUTE AND SAY THEY CAN'T COME AND IT ANOTHER WEEK.THEN THEY HAVE TO ORDER THE PART AND IT TWO MORE WEEKS.I HAVE HAD NOTHING BUT TROUBLE OUT OF MY FRONT LOADER WASHER AND IT'S UNDER WARRENTY AND THEY WANT REPLACE IT I WILL NEVER ORDER ANYTHING FROM SEARS AGAIN AND ADVISE ANY ONE TO NOT BUY FROM SEARS

• To
      22nd of Jan, 2009

You could not have explained my situation any better. I just (today) had the same exact experience. My Kenmore front loader is less than 5 years old and also was purchased at Sears. Two days ago I heard a loud banging as if the load was uneven. I quickly shut it off and when we looked inside the drum had actually fallen on one side. The entire outside of the drum is made of plastic and the spring support had worn completely through the plastic ear that was holding the drum up. When the drum fell it broke off the shock on the bottom. This should be considered a manufacture defect, talk about being poorly made and Sears told me that this is natural wear & tear. I also could not get any satification on the phone, I just got bounced back and forth from parts to service. I had to have a technician come out and charge me $70.00 for 5 minutes to tell me that they are cheaply made anymore and there is nothing I could do but replace the whole drum amoung other parts and the kicker of it all is that the total estimate for repairs would be $899.79.. when I paid $700.00 for the washer brand new, and I chose to spend the couple of extra hundred dollars because I thought I was getting a quality machine..what a joke..I'm so sick over the whole situation. Sears, Kenmore (apparantely really made by Fridgidare) should be ashamed of themselves. Nobody takes pride in the products anymore.