Sears / Kenmore Range / Fire!!!!

United States Review updated:
4.4
After reading these complaints, I am shocked that Sears has not recalled this range. The same exact issue happened to my family - our Kenmore oven coil started on fire after I turned the oven on to back some bread. The light was bright and white and the flame followed around the coil at the bottom of the oven. Luckily, I was the one this happened to...and not one of the kids. Sears makes another frequent shopper unhappy and I vow to never purchase anything from Sears again. It's sad when your reps can't even handle a complaint call. I was huung up on several times and transferred all over the place. Sears should be ashamed. Pass the word.

Comments

Er
  14th of Feb, 2009
I had a similar experience. I have a 12 year old Kenmore free standing oven. Last night, 2-13-09, the bake element (bottom coil) caught on fire and burned brightly. I turned off the oven. Later, checked on it and found that the oven was still very warm. I unplugged the oven due to fear of a fire during the night. I have found a few other anecdotes on the web about the coil catching fire in the Kenmore ovens. (I only searched on Kenmore). I too wondered if there was a recall on this oven.
(There is a recall on a Kenmore Wall Oven)
Po
  26th of Feb, 2009
I bought a Range from Sears in May of 08 and I cut my finger on the vent that is right above the Range top and below the dials on a ledge and you cant see it...
I was cleaning my range and ran my hand across the ledge to clean it and found the vent when it cut my finger badly.. I am looking for anyone else who has done this also. I am not getting anywhere with Sears other than an insurance rep came out and has called 2xs to see if they handled it and they havent.
email me at pcoley47@aol.com
Do
  13th of May, 2009
I had a problem with my own Kenmore Rang. .The element would not shut off without the breaker being tripped! It was getting hotter and hotter and could have started on fire had we not tripped the breaker when we did. It was 6 years old. When I contacted Sears about this, they claimed there is "no known safety issues with their ranges". However, after researching this, I found that there is a huge safety concern with their stoves and they need to address it quickly before someone's house burns down!! I filed an online complaint with the Consumer Product Safety Commission. A representative from the CPSC came to my house, took pictures of my stove and is building a case against Sears. I urge everyone to contact or file an online complaint with the CPSC to help their case. I will never buy another Kenmore product.
Lu
  26th of Jun, 2009
Yup, my range is 2 years old and every time now that I preheat the oven, smoke comes out the back of the range along with a bad burning plastic smell. Sooner or later it will be full blown fire. have not taken the back panel off the range yet, but I am afraid of what I might find. Sears...deserves to go out of business for putting people's lives at risk.
Se
  1st of Dec, 2009
We bought a new set of kitchen appliances from Sears on June 7, 2009. The oven worked for 2 weeks and then went dead. Three visits by Sears repairmen have served no useful purpose: Each one ordered a part that does not solve the problem. Each time they forgot us, and it was necessary to waste hours on the phone being transfer from a useless “customer representative” to another to get another repairman to show up and repeat the going through the motions pantomime. We have been without an oven for almost half a year now.

Sears servicemen also damaged our kitchen counter during the installation, and promised someone would come to repair it. Five months and many, many calls later no one has come.

We have written to the CEO to let him know what kind of company he is running, to no avail. Customers are Sears laughing stocks. The EO and his henchmen y must be having a blast someone still buys from them.
Do
  15th of May, 2010
After having my range for a short while I decided to use the self cleaning option on my oven.
Ever since then my oven won't hold a specific temperature. I called for service and I was not
treated well at all. They transferred me from one department to another, most of the time you
couldn't even understand their customer service agents. Finally, I went to another company
and I was informed that the newer ranges you shouldn't use the self-cleaning because of the
temperature the oven reaches when doing this. You need a whole new computer board, which
is very expensive. Not happy at all with Sears or Kenmore Appliances.
Ra
  1st of Jul, 2010
Kenmore Range takes an unreal time to preheat, exceeds 20 minutes to come up to temp. They say it is normal because only oven element preheats and they do not use the broiler element to assist. Preheat times are not disclosed at time of purchase. Secondly, contol panel is discoloring from heat from oven exhaust after just 16 months. Unacceptable.
Li
  16th of Aug, 2011
I paid $1700 for my Kenmore Elite range. Today fire was shooting out of the back. It caught fire from the electrical inside. Why haven't these been recalled? I will never buy Kenmore again.
Ke
  21st of Nov, 2011
My Sears Kenmore ranges control panel has blown up 3 times. The electric range is 3 years old. The control panel in the back is all black and melted. I have a 5 year service contract .Model # 790.46643701 is anyone else having this problem?Also the repair man you should not use the self clean This is crazy Sears sells a self clean oven you can't self clean.