[Resolved] Sears Kenmore Oven / fire

1 Massachusetts, United States Review updated:

Our 5 year old Kenmore Elite Electric Range (model 790.9911) caught fire last night and we were very fortunate to have been in the room.
I turned on one burner to heat water and turned the (convection) oven on to warm some food.

Within 2 minutes, we heard an electrical crackling buzzing sound instead of the convection oven fan noise. I immediately tried to turn off the oven and black smoke began pouring out of the back of the oven and the stove would not turn off. Within seconds, flames were shooting out of the back of the oven where the vent grill is. My husband ran to turn off the main power in the house. Fortunately the flames extinguished themselves before catching fire to the cabinets.

The fire department examined the stove and outlets and said all looked to be in order - that it was clearly an electrical fire within the stove.

The electronics of this stove were funky from the start -- the clock never worked properly, speeding up in time whenever the oven was in use. While we lived with this quirk on a $1200+ stove, we did NOT expect it to start shooting flames!

Very dangerous and disappointing.

• Resolution statement

• Sears Brands Customer Care's Response, Apr 15, 2011

Dear Bad Range:
    My name is Susan and I am part of the Sears Social Media Team. I am very concerned about what I have read here. We would like to help. We are a single point of contact for escalated concerns which means we step into a situation and handle it start to finish with one Case Manager. At your convenience, please send an email to smsupport@searshc.com with your contact phone number and any other information you would like to provide to us regarding this situation. We will get that information over to a Case Manager who will contact you so that you (and others) won't have to continue to be impacted by this. Also, please provide the screen name (bad range) for reference to your issue and we do look forward to talking to you soon.

Susan R.

• Sears Brands Customer Care's Response, Apr 19, 2011

Dear Cheryl29:
    We are sorry to hear about the problems that you are experiencing with your Kenmore 790 Series Range . We can only imagine the frustration this has caused you and your family. It is our goal to get your keep your range in working order and to exceed your expectations. This clearly has not been done for you and we would appreciate the opportunity to assist. My name is Susan and I work for the Sears Cares Team. At your convenience, please send an email to smsupport@searshc.com with your contact phone number and any other information you would like to provide to us regarding this situation. We will get that information over to a Case Manager who will contact you so that you (and others) won't have to continue to be impacted by this. Also, please provide the screen name (Cheryl29) for reference to your issue and we do look forward to talking to you soon.

Susan R.
    Senior Case Manager

• Sears Brands Customer Care's Response, Jun 18, 2012

Dear V7757,

My name is Stephanie L. and I am with the Sears Social Media Escalations team. We regret to hear that your stove has caught on fire; we understand that this can cause great concern. We are very sorry to hear that through a number of calls into our customer service you were unable to find a proper solution. We do value you as a Sears customer and would like to further assist at this time. At your convenience please contact our office via email at smadvisor@searshc.com and a dedicated case manager will contact you directly. In the email, please provide a contact phone number and the phone number your stove was purchased under (if different than the contact phone number) and we will call you directly. Also, in your email, please provide your screen name “V7757 ” you used to post on this site, for reference to your issue, and we do look forward to talking to you soon.

Stephanie L.

• Sears Brands Customer Care's Response, Jul 31, 2012

My name is Tony and I am with the Sears Social Media Escalations team at the executive office. I would like to first express my sincerest apologies that this has happened to you. I can only imagine fear and frustration that you must have been feeling when you saw this. If this had happened to me, I too would want some answers about what is being done.
    We at Sears value your business more than words can express and we would appreciate the opportunity to speak with you about this experience. We would like to have one of our dedicated case managers reach out to you and be your one point of contact within Sears to ensure that this matter is handled in an expeditious and professional manner.
    At your convenience, please contact our office via email at smadvisor@searshc.com so you don’t have to be upset by this any longer. In the email, please provide a contact number and the phone number that the item is listed under (if different than the contact phone number) and we will call you directly. In addition, please include your Screen name (Tmac321) in the email for reference to your issue. Again, we’re sorry for any trouble we have caused and we hope to talk to you soon.
    Tony T.

• Sears Brands Customer Care's Response, Nov 27, 2012

Hazardous oven
    My name is Liz with Sears Social Media Support Team; I found your post here and I want to apologize for all the difficulty you’ve had with your oven. We value your business very much and would like to help you. We understand the importance of having a working appliance in the home and to exceed you expectation with our service. It’s clear that we did not meet your expectations with repair of your oven and our customer service. At your convenience, please contact our office via email at smadvisor@searshc.com so you don’t have to be upset by this any longer. In the email, please provide a contact number and the phone number that refrigerator was purchased under (if different than the contact phone number) and we will call you directly. In addition, please include your Screen name (Hazardous oven) in the email for reference to your issue. Again, we’re sorry for any trouble we have caused and we hope to talk to you soon.

Social Media Media Support

• Sears Brands Customer Care's Response, Jan 02, 2013

traildend,
    I came across your post today and wanted to reach out to you to offer our assistance. My name is Liz and I am a member of the Sears Social Media Support Team. I am very sorry to hear of the troubles you are experiencing with your oven. In addition, I understand how frustrating it is to have the control panel shorten out and buzz. I would like to have one of our dedicated case managers speak with you to further discuss your recent experience. At your convenience please contact our office via email at smadvisor@searshc.com so you don’t have to be upset by this any longer. In the email please provide the best contact phone number or the number to which the oven is listed under (if different than the contact phone number) and we will call you directly. In addition, please include your screen name (traildend) in the email for reference to your issue. Again, we’re sorry for any trouble we have caused and we hope to talk to you soon.

Social Media Support

• Sears Brands Customer Care's Response, Jan 17, 2013

djt2005
    I am Liz and I am a member of the Sears Social Media Support Team. I saw your comment here and I wanted to reach out and apologize on behalf of Sears for the difficulties that have occurred with your range. From your post, I can see how frustrating is to have your range malfunction on Christmas morning. We would like to contact you and further discuss your recent experience and see if there is anything we can do to make this right. At your convenience please contact our office via email at smadvisor@searshc.com so you don’t have to be upset by this any longer. In the email please provide a contact phone number and the phone number the range was purchased under (if different than the contact phone number) and we will call you directly. In addition, please include your screen name (djt2005) in the email for reference to your issue. Again, we’re sorry for any trouble we have caused and we hope to talk to you soon.

• Sears Brands Customer Care's Response, Mar 17, 2013

Dear Mr. Brivers,

My name is Dee with the Searscares Team. I would like to offer our sincere apologies for the problems you have encountered with your Kenmore stove and we would like to help you address your concerns.

At your convenience please contact our office via email at SMAdvisor@searshc.com and a dedicated case manager will contact you directly. In the email, please provide a contact phone number and the phone number the dryer was purchased under (if different than the contact phone number) and we will call you directly. Also, in your email, please provide your screen name (Brivers) you used to post on this site, for reference to your issue, and we do look forward to talking to you soon.

Dee M

• Sears Brands Customer Care's Response, May 28, 2013

Dp-callahan, we are sorry for any distress and inconvenience you have encountered with your oven. My name is Liz and I’m with the Sears Cares Social Media Support team. At Sears, we pride ourselves on making sure our valued customers are satisfied with our products and services and it appears we have not met that goal here. From your post I can see that this has been a source of great frustration for you and we would like to assist. We would like the opportunity to have one of our dedicated case managers contact you in order to ensure a proper resolution to your continued concerns. Please send the following information-contact#, screen name (bp-callahan) and the phone # used at time of purchase to smadvisor@searshc.com. Thank you, Liz R. Social Media Moderator Sears Social Media Support

• Sears Brands Customer Care's Response, Aug 28, 2013

Dear Mk Sutherland,
    My name is Liz and I am part of the Sears Social Media Escalations team. We are truly sorry to hear that your stove is giving you problems. Here at Sears, we understand how important a working stove is to your household, and we would like to provide you with some options that may assist in correcting the problems you are experiencing. At your earliest convenience please send the following information – contact #, screen name (Mk Sutherland), phone # used at time of purchase to smadvisor@searshc.com.

• Sears Brands Customer Care's Response, Sep 03, 2013

Concerned cooker,
    My name is Liz and I am with the Sears Cares escalations team. We are terribly sorry for the mishaps you have been experienced with your range. From your post we can see that we certainly have let you down and would like to offer some assistance. We would like the opportunity to speak with you to address your concerns. At your earliest convenience please send the following information – contact #, the name and phone # used at time of purchase, as well as the screen name that you have been assigned to reference your post (Concerned cooker), to smadvisor@searshc.com. We look forward to speaking with you.

• Sears Brands Customer Care's Response, Sep 24, 2013

Concerned in Pittsburgh,
    We apologize for failing to meet your expectations of your stove. My name is Liz and I am a member of the Sears Social Media Support team. I saw your post and wanted to offer our assistance. If you would allow us the opportunity, we would very much like to connect you with a dedicated case manager to further discuss your situation. At your convenience please contact our office via email at smadvisor@searshc.com so you don’t have to be upset by this any longer. In the email please provide the best contact phone number or the number to which the stove was purchased under (if different than the contact phone number) and we will call you directly. In addition, please include your screen name (Concerned in Pittsburgh) in the email for reference to your issue. Again, we’re sorry for any trouble we have caused and we hope to talk to you soon.

• Sears Brands Customer Care's Response, Sep 24, 2013

Nervous to Cook,
    I saw your comment today and wanted to reach out to you to offer our assistance. My name is Liz and I am a member of the Sears Cares Escalations team. We are sorry for the troubles you have encountered with your stove. We can truly understand your frustrations with what has occurred. We would appreciate the opportunity to discuss your experience and address your concerns. At your earliest convenience please send the following information – contact #, the name and phone # used at time of purchase, as well as the screen name that I have assigned to reference your post (Nervous to Cook), to smadvisor@searshc.com. Again, we apologize for the inconvenience we have caused you and look forward to speaking with you.

Liz R

• Sears Brands Customer Care's Response, Nov 06, 2013

JLegowik,
    My name is David with the Sears Social Media Support team. I came across this post and wanted to reach out to you. We’re sorry troubles experienced with your range and would be happy to have a case manager discuss this with you and assist you in addressing any other concerns you may have. At your convenience, please contact my office via email at smadvisor@searshc.com. In the email, please provide a contact phone number and the phone number the range was purchased under (if different than the contact phone number) and we will call you directly. Also, in your email, please provide the screen name (JLegowik) you used to post on this site, for reference to your issue. We look forward to talking to you soon.

David W.

• Sears Brands Customer Care's Response, Feb 25, 2014

Hfws115,
    My name is Liz and I am a member of the Sears Cares Escalations team. We appreciate you taking to the time to let us know about your oven. We are sorry for the mishaps you have encountered with your appliance. We would be happy to have a case manager to contact and discuss your concerns. Please send the following information – contact #, screen name (hfws115), phone # used at time of purchase to smadvisor@searshc.com. Again, we apologize for the inconvenience we have caused you and look forward to speaking with you.

• Sears Brands Customer Care's Response, Apr 16, 2014

Penny H.,

We thank you for bringing this matter to our attention. My name is Liz and I am a member of the Sears Cares Escalations team. We certainly can see why you are so frustrated and upset over what has occurred with your oven. We would be happy to connect you with one of our dedicated case managers to contact you and address your concerns. Please send the following information – contact #, screen name (Penny H.), phone # used at time of purchase to smadvisor@searshc.com. Again, we apologize for the inconvenience we have caused you and look forward to speaking with you.

Hy

Comments

• Bo
      20th of Mar, 2009

We had a similar problem with a Kenmore smooth top oven range unit in which the control board popped, (shorted out), and caught fire. Luckily it did not cause a huge fire, but from other complaints I have read on the internet this is a common problem with the model 790 series ovens. There have been serious fires with potentially tragic consequences. These oven/ranges with faulty circuit boards should be recalled and or repaired free of charge with reliable circuitry post haste. But SEARS doesn't seem to care about their the safety and well being of their customers. It just might come back to bite them in their Roebuck. The part I need costs approximately $140 to $180 plus labor unless I put it in myself, which I have no doubt I would be able to do, as a disassembled it for inspection myself. It is not that difficult to replace, but why should I put it in and put my family in harm's way with a part likely to be a fire hazard? This is a ridiculous price anywat for a part that will probably short out at some other time in the near future. I am at a loss what to do. Does anybody have any suggestions or anecdotal information about these oven ranges? bobbeth6@windstream.net

• Do
      13th of May, 2009

Please!!! Contact the Consumer Product Safety Commission!! I recently had a similar problem with my Kenmore range and filed an online complaint with the CPSC. The CPSC came to my house, asked me what happened, took pictures of my range and are building a case against Sears. They need EVERYONE to report this! It's huge problem and Sears will admit to nothing, that is, unless we all report this and get them to stand up and take notice!

• Ba
      11th of Jul, 2009

We have a 3 year old Kenmore dual fuel oven that just caught fire. We turned on the oven and about five minutes later there was a loud grinding sound, popping and then flames came out of the back of the control area of the oven. When the service guy came and pulled it apart it confirmed what we had thought, that the electronic circuit board had shorted out. We called Sears more to let them know about what we consider a serious safety issue than trying to get money of them, and they didn't give a hoot. We reported it online with the CPSC but haven't heard anything from them. Ours is a different oven, but it evidently has the same problem.

• Li
      13th of Oct, 2009

have the same range, four years old, did the same exact thing. sears is not cooperating.

• Se
      10th of Jan, 2011

We had the same exact fire incident with our 6yr Kenmore Elite Dual Fuel range. The model # is 79079389402. Based on the model #, it was made by Frigidaire, which is now owned by Electrolux. Sears had basically ignored our or the first two calls until I stated very firmly that I would take the issue with consumer protection agencies and consider a lawsuit. Finally got connected with a Sears' claims services contracting company, and they opened a claim with Electrolux. Contacted Electrolux and now waiting for one of their adjusters to schedule an appointment. I will definitely follow the advice in these posts to contact CPSC. Everyone with this situation must contact CPSC. Electrolux contact info: Electrolux North America, Inc., 20445 Emerald Parkway SW, Suite 250, PO Box 35920, Cleveland, OH 44135-0920. Phone: 216-898-1800. Fax: 216-898-2337.

1st of Feb, 2011

Last night (Jan. 31, 2011) our Kenmore Elite Dual Fuel Range (790.79383400) did what was described above by others and caught fire. We heard strange cracking/popping sounds and ran into the kitchen. The clock display was fading out and smoke was pouring out the back of the unit. We couldn't turn the oven off and so had to run outside to flip the breaker. The Fire Department came and said it was definitely the stove and not wiring in the house. I'm not sure what to do yet, but will make some calls to Sears, Electrolux, CPSC, etc. and see if we have any recourse. To us, this isn't just a matter of a part not working after a while; it' a safety hazard and could have resulted in a serious fire.

• Ba
      14th of Apr, 2011

Yesterday, our 5 year old Kenmore "elite" Duel Fuel went up in flames. This is an electrical problem that produced the crackling sound, as described, and then flames up the back of the range. Sears is giving us a run around and making it very difficult to resolve. I feel that this is a defective product and will be contacting Consumer Product Safety Commission today.

16th of Apr, 2011

4 /16 /11 I also own a kenmore range 790 series. I purchased it on 10/15/05 paying 1049.99 on sale. Last week when i turned the oven on and had the same exact problem. Sparks were popping and crackling as black smoke poured out. I also will be contacting Consumer Product Safety Commission. I don't understand the fact that sears can ignore such numerous complaints that is clearly not only a product defect but a huge fire hazard as well.

• Da
      31st of May, 2011

We have a Kenmore 790.9612. The front left burner will burn extremely hot and not turn off. The dial must be turned on, off, to lo, and eventually it will shut off. Reading all the complaints here (and here https://www.complaintsboard.com/complaints/kenmore-electric-range-c3796/page/1.html#c855296) I am very worried about a fire. I do not know that I want the unit repaired as it seems that I can't trust the product at all. Like others, contacting Sears produces no help. They want to charge one of two amounts. This is more than a simple warranty-expiration issue. This is something that has obviously affected many people. We have already filed a complaint with the CPSC. I encourage others to do the same.

• Lu
      5th of Sep, 2011

Glad I found this thread. I have a Sears / GE Oven (model JB960BY3) and a few weeks ago the oven made the crackling and popping sound that others have mentioned followed by smoke pouring out of the back of the oven. I took the oven apart and discovered that the ballast that controls the convection fan had shorted. I went to searspartsdirect.com only to find that part WB8X5102 is no longer available. Searching other appliance parts websites I find the same on all of them "This part has been permanently discontinued by the manufacturer and we don't know of any source for the part". I did find a used one on eBay, but I'm thinking there is a serious defect with the design of this part and don't want to put another in the oven. I'm going to try Sears and the CPSC and let y'all know how far I get!

• Ji
      4th of Mar, 2012

Has anyone had any luck with Sears? Our range just went up in smoke. We were preheating the oven, heard the " static" then the flames came out the back.

• V7
      4th of Jun, 2012

Same problem, stove caught on fire along the rear of control console. placed at least a dozen calls to various Sears departments today. Same lack of responsibility, stove is out of warranty. Our house still has the electrical fire smell.

• Tm
      30th of Jul, 2012

I have the Kenmore elite dual fuel range model 780 that is about 5 years old and last night while making dinner I was preheating the oven and next thing I know the control board was smoking and flames were coming from the back of the oven. I had to grab the fire extinguisher before my cabinets caught on fire.Luckily I was in the kitchen when this happened or I probably would not be sitting in my house writing this right now.After reading the other posts I see this problem is common for this model.I will be contacting the CPSC to make a report and see what is being done about this.

• Ha
      23rd of Nov, 2012

I have been on the phone for hours trying to get Sears to stand behind their Kenmore Elite oven model # 66578003803. They passed me from one department to another until finally the last call was cut off! My gas oven purchased in 2009 and has been going on by itself spontaneously for the last 6 months! The one year warranty is up, but they will not fix it without me buying an extended one year warranty. I have 2 children and have come home from work and my oven is blairing at 500 degrees! It is a fire hazard and I think they should fix it without charging me! I've read other similar complaints. Why should I have to pay for poor quality from Sears? Is it so much to ask that they stand behind their products particularly since it is a common occurrence. I feel duped and ripped off and I am concerned for the safety of my family.

26th of Dec, 2012

We have experienced a serious problem with the Kenmore dual fuel model 790 and will be contacting the consumer protection agency. I went to put the oven on preheat and the control panel started buzzing and shorting and then flames came up the back. I noticed online there have been several other people with the same problem. This could have burned the house down if I hadn’t been right there especially with a gas line coming in.

• El
      27th of Dec, 2012

Same problem up here in Alberta. Today, Boxing Day, our 3 year old Kenmore Elite Dualfuel range (model #970-330033), crackled and sent flames out from the space between the interior and exterior oven walls. Thankfully there were several of us standing nearby. I managed to blow out the flames, and immediately ran downstairs to throw the breaker to prevent a nasty end to our holiday meal. What if no one was in the kitchen at the time our Kenmore Elite range popped? It looks like there are quite a few "time bombs" taking up space in kitchens on both sides of the border. Have any of you had success with Sears? Product malfunctions can happen; but with such a key element in all our homes is very worrisome. Tomorrow morning we will begin the Sears "adventure", so many of you seemed to have had to endure. We will only be satisfied when Sears makes such an important and expensive piece of equipment, one that does what they say it will do and one that we can feel secure with while it's "living" in our home. We'll let you know how it goes.

27th of Dec, 2012

be sure to file complaint with the consumer protective service. cspc.800-638-2772

• Dt
      17th of Jan, 2013

My wife and I also own a Kenmore Elite Dual Fuel Range, Model #790.7938... We purchased it as a wedding gift for each other on May 6, 2005. On Christmas morning (12/25/12) we were cooking muffins in the oven and heard popping and cracking from the kitchen. My wife and I ran to the kitchen and found black smoke and flames coming out from the back of the clock and electronics. I quickly turned off the oven and the flames stopped. I then turned off the circuit breaker too. We then pulled the oven away from the wall and turned off the gas. Now the oven is locked like it is self cleaning mode and we cannot open the oven door to get the muffin pans out. I am shocked to find that on this site alone there are over 12 users withe similar failure modes. I am a electrical engineer who designs circuit boards that operate high voltage and high current energy. This type of design failure is unacceptable and consumers should be warned of the inherent danger in these products. After reading this website and seeing how many people have this same failure mode my wife and I will also be contacting the contacting Consumer Product Safety Commission. As it was Christmas morning when this failed my wife and I gave thanks that we were home when it did so no one was injured and nothing other than the range was broken. Many time since we have reflected that one of the features we use routinely is the delayed start function, imagine if this failure mode happened one of the days we used this feature. We could have come home to our house on fire!

17th of Jan, 2013

I think it is amazing that two stoves purchased the same year have the same problem. and it is still going on. I think people need to be notified asap!! before something bad happens especially with gas close by.

19th of Jan, 2013

I responded to Liz from Sears and have not heard anything new. They originally offered me $75 but that covers about 10% of the cost and I have tried to contact my case manager at the Executive office and he never calls back. I am starting to wonder if they really care. I encourage you to go to the the US Consumer Product Safety Commission web page and read the complaints there as well.