Sears / Kenmore Elite Trio Refrigerator / light fixture overheats, melts, smokes. it's a fire hazard.

1 Appleton, WI, United States Review updated:

I have the same light melting/fire hazard issue with complete denial by Sears Service. Just filed with Chicago BBB. I looked into the problem closely several times as it occured over the past couple years, but could not determine why it happens sporatically. Sears tells me we left the door open, but this is certainly not true as the fixure melted to a point of disrepair and near fire yesterday, I kept checking on it over a period of 1-hour, closing the doors and checking closely to make sure they were closed, there is no way they were not closed. My suspision is with the buttons that are suppose to disable the lights upon closure. With the doors open, I could depress both buttons and the light would stay on. After cycling the buttons several times by hand, I noticed the lights went "Off". My fixture stopped overheating with the doors shut after this. Did Sears recommend replacing these buttons as part of the repair? Of course not, they claimed there was no history of a problem. I have to laugh now that I found this website and all the complaints. They are fools and obviously care less about the customer. Just out to rack you for a repair. Makes me sick to think I was proud the day I bought this "Elite" product from them. What a joke Sears has become.

Comments

• Jv
      5th of Jul, 2010

Just experienced the same problem with my KENMORE Elite Trio. Yesterday I noticed that the lights were on with the doors closed. Opened the refrigerator and the ice maker was extremely hot and the light cover was melted. Had to use a potholder to unscrew the extremely hot light bulbs. Called Sears today and got nothing but a run around. Of course they blame LG but my refrigerator says KENMORE Elite isn't that a Sears brand name? What bothers me is that I had a Sears Repairman here in March 2010 for the ice maker problem but why didn't he replace the potential light issue then. since there have been complaints about this since June/July 2009. Oh that's right Sears doesn't have any complaints about the light problem and there is no recall so it’s not a problem In order to have the problem corrected I had to buy another extended repair agreement from them and the service man will not be here until July 20th because they have to order the part. Seems to me that they should have the part on hand because of the problem with their product. By the way Sears has discontinued the KENMORE Elite 795-77572600 I wonder Why?

I’ve been online looking for a recall for this product because of the potential light overheating the internal plastics and causing a fire but couldn’t find one I could only find customer complaints about this problem.

The funny thing is that I was suppose to be on vacation out of town this week so I guess my homeowners insurance would have been picking up the tab for damages due to a fire because SEARS feels no obligation to its customers. The least Sears could have done was to mail correspondence to customers who have purchased this model of their KENMORE line about the potential light not going off and the potential fire hazard and made the necessary repairs to avoid any further property damage. Just like Chevy, Buick, Pontiac they charge it back to GM Sears could have charged it back to LG since the keep saying that it is LG's problem because they are the manufacturer.

Shame, Shame on Sears for putting their customers last and in a potentially deadly situation. I have called the Consumer Product Safety 1-800-638-2772 and have left a voicemail with the problem I am having and I am waiting for a call back. I will call them again if I get no call back by tomorrow to make sure my complaint is filed. Hopefully the more complaints about Sears KENMORE Elite Trio will help out other customers with the same product problem and hold Sears liable to repair the problem free of charge. But most of all to keep the potential problem from causing any injury or dead to a consumer. Sears is trying to save a buck but all it takes is for one household to suffer a serious loss, injury or death and well Sears and LG will loose more $$.

No more KENMORE products for me.

J V-Grice
    Hamilton NJ

• Te
      5th of Jul, 2010

You should not have had to purchase ANY type of extended repair agreement! There is NOT a recall but this part has a LIFETIME warranty because of this issue. See this post. Make sure you read to read northtilleys comments. I followed his advice and mine is being repaired next week for FREE!!!

https://www.complaintsboard.com/complaints/sears-kenmore-elite-trio-refrigerator-c96253.html#c702021 Make sure to read page 3