Sears / Kenmore Elite French Door Refrigerator / bad odor coming from back of unit when running & fan is on.

1 Melbourne, FL, United States Review updated:

We purchased a 3-door Sears Kenmore Elite w/bottom freezer w/ in- door icemaker&water dispenser on May 31, 2010. This was a new 2010 model. In the middle of Nov. 2010 we smelled a terrible odor coming from the back of the unit when it was running & the fan was on. After a week or two of it smelling, we called Sears repair to have them check it out. Before the repairman could get here, it stopped smelling, so we cancelled the service call. Well, a few weeks later it started to smell again, not as strong this time. It would come and go.
We called Sears repair again and they came to look at it 1/18/11. It was not smelling at the time. They removed the back motor cover, everything was clean. No determination for what it was. Again this morning, 1/23/11, we wake up to a terrible odor again. Smelling up the whole kitchen!! Once again we have an appointment for service on 1/25/11. Does anyone know what this could be?? It smells awful!!

Comments

• Pr
      1st of Feb, 2011

We have a Kenmore Elite and we have the same problem. The smell is unbelievable and we can't figure it out. Have cleaned inside and out every possible area. My kitchen smells like a mouse died in it. When we pull the fridge out, smell goes away. Would love to see more posts here.

• Ll
      19th of Jul, 2011

We are having the same problem... Did youfind out what it is???

• Dk
      6th of Sep, 2011

We are having the exact same problem. Did anyone figure anything out? We have had our unit for about 8 months and just noticed the smell. My wife says it smells like rotting peaches. I say it smells like a dead mouse. We are very interested to hear if anyone has a solution yet?

15th of Nov, 2011

We have the same issue Kenmore elite with ice maker. My son and I thought it smelled like a dead body. After looking at it further we thought it could be the drip pan. Easy enough, right. We thought we would just remove the pan clean it and be done. Two hours later we have taken the fridge a part and we still cannot reach the drip pan. After looking at some posts it mentioned that this cannot be done ? You need to tip the fridge upside down to get it out? Come on Sears are you kidding? What engineer would design something so stupid? Now I really wish we broke the bank and bought a sub zero. After much exhaustion, we poured Clorox in the pan and went to bed.

• Kr
      1st of Jul, 2017

@Searsdoesstink We had this same issue!!! Finally got the pan out with lots of swearing but the smell is still persisting!!!

• St
      26th of Jun, 2012

Our Kenmore Elite has the same terrible odor as if something died in the unit. Sears service (A+E) came out (2 hours late) and did some basic checks and said "we don't do smells" and left (without putting the back plate screws in properly because he had forgotten his driver at a previous call). If they "don't do smells" then why did they send someone out knowing it was a call for smells?The drip pan cannot be removed for cleaning (brilliant engineering). Even after a thorough cleaning of the inside of the refrigerator, and with no food in it for 2 days, the smell is still terrible (5 days total now). The unit is unusable in its current condition. Sears/Kmart is being penny wise and pound foolish with the handling of this issue. They have lost not only us as customers, but our family and friends will be informed of the flawed unit (this is the 4th call for a variety of issues with it) and the poor service rendered in spite of purchasing the extended warranty.

• Ju
      20th of Oct, 2012

Experiencing the same problem. Unfortunately nobody has followed up here with their solutions. Here is our note to Kenmore customer care.

Our Kenmore Elite refrigerator has a foul smell. Not from inside the refrigerator or freezer, but from underneath in the workings. We have a service appointment for this week.

model number 795.78773.800

I am writing to highlight to you that you have a recurring issue on this model or similar models, for the same cause, as evidenced by many online complaints. Your customer service team on the phone was not aware of this recurring issue. I suggest that you write a service bulletin for your team so that they recognize this as a recurring problem. Maybe they can offer a solution over the phone once that this is understood. In my case, I have warranty coverage.

Here is one example of a complaint string with 6 users experiencing the problem.

A google search will point you to more complaint threads.

Thank you!

• Ju
      24th of Oct, 2012

Sears found a dead mouse in the workings underneath the fridge. Unfortunately, there is not easy access to a drip pan / workings in this type of model, or this would have been easy to find and resolve without a service call. We had taken off the back panel ourselves prior to the service call. Thanks Sears for the service and resolution.

25th of Oct, 2012

Good afternoon justseekinghelp,

I saw your post today and wanted to reach out to you to offer our assistance. My name is Mike and I am a member of the Sears Social Media Support team. Please accept our apologies for the trouble that you encountered with your refrigerator. It is always frustrating when you run into trouble with your refrigerator, as it stores your food, drinks, and medicines. While it appears that this issue has been resolved, we would like to connect you with a dedicated case manager to further discuss your experience and ensure that your refrigerator is working as it should be. At your convenience, please send us an e-mail containing your preferred contact information, including the phone number that your repair appointment was scheduled under, to [email protected] Also, please include your screen name, (justseekinghelp), for reference to your issue. Thank you for your time and we hope to speak with you soon.

Mike D.

• Li
      2nd of May, 2013

We are having the same issue! Smells like dead something and it's not anything inside the fridge or freezer because we've cleaned it all out. It is coming from the fan or some mechanism within the fridge. Very frustrating because we've tried everything we can. Mopped, baking soda, charcoal, etc. It is smelling up our whole house. Guess I'll call Kenmore directly and avoid Sears if at all possible. We just bought it in 2010 so it's not old!

3rd of May, 2013

Liss242,
    My name is Liz and I am a member of the Sears Social Media Support team. I am truly sorry for the troubles you have experienced with your refrigerator. I can understand how disappointed you may feel and we do apologize for falling short of that mark in this instance. We would like to contact you and further discuss your recent experience and see if there is anything we can do to make this right. At your convenience please contact our office via email at [email protected] so you don’t have to be upset by this any longer. In the email please provide a contact phone number and the phone number the refrigerator was purchased under (if different than the contact phone number) and we will call you directly. In addition, please include your screen name (liss242) in the email for reference to your issue. Again, we’re sorry for any trouble we have caused and we hope to talk to you soon.

Liz R.

• Me
      5th of Jun, 2013

I too have this problem, used a screwdriver and paper towel to soak up some of the liquid in the drip pan and poured bleach in, however it is back after only 3 days! I absolutely cannot fathom that this drop pan is non-removable! Am I missing something here? My model is MOD 253-44723108 without and ice maker, refrigerator only with a freezer next to it to make it seem "extra large" but I have taken the back off as much as I can with not access.

7th of Jun, 2013

MerriDee,
    We are terribly sorry for the aggravation surrounding your refrigerator. My name is Liz and I am with the Sears Escalations team. We can truly understand your frustrations with the drip pan filling up within three days. We would like the opportunity to speak to you and see how we can get this resolved. Please send the following information – contact #, screen name (MerriDee), phone # used at time of purchase to [email protected] Again, we’re sorry for any inconvenience we have caused you and we look forward to speaking to you soon.

Liz R.

• Mo
      8th of Jun, 2013

OMGosh! My kitchen has had the worse smell in the whole world for over a week, finally we narrowed the smell down to the Kenmore Elite fridge and it is coming from the back panel near the floor. When I figured it out I came online and now I see I am not the only one. Not sure what to do about it. I wish I would have known this in all the reviews I read before I bought this fridge.

10th of Jun, 2013

Dear MomSonya,

My name is Trent and I am with the Sears Cares Team. Please accept our apologies for the difficulties you are having with your refrigerator. We can certainly understand the inconvenience you are facing and would like to assist in resolving this situation any way we can. We can connect you with a dedicated case manager that can work with you to ensure your concerns are addressed. At your earliest convenience please send the following information – contact #, the name and phone # used at time of purchase, as well as the screen name that I have assigned to reference your post (MomSonya), to [email protected] We look forward to speaking with you.

Trent A.

• Av
      11th of Jun, 2013

I too have the same smell, it when away and now it back, I can't for the life of me figure out how to get rid of the smell and it starting to smell my entire kitchen . Can someone please tell me how to get rid of the smell. For a while I thought I was going crazy until I good smell from Kenmore Elite refrigerator . My fridge is about two years old.

• Al
      6th of Jul, 2013

Customers will have a need to remove the pan because over time, you will have a spill in your fridge. The designers are expecting only water but even at that, if you have hard water, you're going to have a problem eventually.

I'm looking at the front of the fridge. You "could" slide the pan out the front, after removing the water filter assembly with only 3 screws. I say "could" because the hoses are too short to allow you to move it out of the way. This method would also involve bending down a thin piece of sheet metal that holds the front of the pan from moving forward. It was also taped for transport as was the back bracket (cut the tape, obviously.)

• Li
      19th of Jul, 2013

We have been having the same problem with our Kenmore Elite fridge (also bought in 2010, like most of the above writers) for just over a month now... smells like a dead animal and/or horrible old-human urine. Smell comes and goes, sometimes when the fan is on, sometimes not... and often when we open the fridge. Took us a long time - after thoroughly cleaning the entire kitchen, inside cupboards, everywhere.. to figure out that it was the fridge.
    We had a Sears teck come yesterday... he dismissed it as "probably a dead mouse somewhere".. said he had never heard of problems like this before. If it was a dead mouse it would have quit smelling weeks ago.
    We called sears warranty centre again and were told that the Tech "couldn't determine that it was the fridge that smells".. and that they weren't prepared to do anything more for us about this!
    very unhappy longtime sears customers... getting very pissed off!

• Mr
      8th of Aug, 2013

I am having the same problem with a Kenmore Model 795.69004.900 that is less than a year old. Only smells when I open the refrigerator door. There is nothing inside that is rotting or expired. So frustrating. Smells up my kitchen. Anyone else having issues with a new model?

• Mr
      8th of Aug, 2013

By the way... it doesn't look like there are any resolution to the posts here. Have issues been resolved for anyone by Sears?

• Fn
      16th of Aug, 2013

I am having the same problem with the KE french door fridge I purchased in late 2011 with warranty. Fridge is clean with no spills in past. Loved the fridge up until now. The smell is coming from under the fridge and the sides especially when the fan is running. It has a sweet moldy smell and other times smells like a dead animal around the sides. Gets really strong with the fan runs. Sears is coming out tomorrow to figure it all out. Has anyone else had the issue resolved?