Sears / online purchase pick up in store

1 Fredericksburg, VA, United States

On February 13th, 2010, I ordered a trinket for Valentine's Day on Sears.com to be picked up in the Spotsylvania Mall store later that day after receiving email confirmation. This process, according to the website, should take up to 2 hours. I made the purchase at around noon and waited patiently. At about 2:30p, I went back to the website to check the status of my order and the online chat customer service person said that it had not yet been processed and to check back later. I waited until 4:30p and called customer service after not receiving the confirmation email and I was told that my order went through and that I could just pick up the item in the store with the confirmation number.

I get to the store around 6p and I ask customer service where merchandise pickup is and they lead me to a kiosk in the rear of the store. I put all of my information in the kiosk and nothing comes up so I summon customer service and I'm told my item is in jewelry because merchandise pickup does not deal with jewelry. I make my way over to jewelry and they have no record of my purchase.

They call the Manager and she comes out and explains to me that my order, though received and paid for online, could not be given to me because their computers were down and she can not release items without the computer generated record number. So my wife's St. Valentines gift can not be given to me until Valentine's morning because the computer has their particular store listed as closed and is blocking ALL transactions for this day. I work during Valentine's day 50 miles away and won't get to give my wife her gift until Monday. I went back online to get a refund and Sears tells me that they can't return my money for 4-5 days, so not only did they ruin my wife's surprise on St. Valentine's day, they will return my money a week later.

It is my hope that Sears and all of its associated companies just go away. This is not the first time they've screwed up something that should be pretty simple and it's clear to me that they don't give a darn about their dwindling customer base. Don't look now, they just lost another one.

Ro