[Resolved] Sears - Extended Warranty / useless warranty and broken promises!

Bought a Sears Chainsaw sping of '06. Also purchased the extended service agreement (maintenance warranty) as the salesman promised me it would "take care of anything that went wrong". After the ice storm in Jan of 07 I had several trees damaged and was clearing them with the chainsaw when it quit, and wouldn't restart. I took the saw to the local sears maintenance center, they shipped it off to the repair facility. I got advisory back to call the repair facility, which I did, they advised it would cost me 115.00 + to fix the chainsaw,(nearly as much as the original cost). It is still covered by the two year extended maintenance agreement until spring '08. The repair facility claimed "abuse" was not covered. How can one abuse a chainsaw? They said the cylinder and piston were "scored". How could that happen if it is working properly and the fuel mixture is proper. It would be hard to mess up a "use one little bottle of 2 cycle oil to one gallon of gasoline" instruction! Sears is supposed to send me all the information in an email for my review and further action. I am afraid they have just lost a very good customer. Their warranties have always been "the best" - apparently no more!!! Our house is full of Sears appliances, stoves, freezers, compactors, fridges, etc., etc., etc., because of their past outstanding warranty service. I had heard they had gone bad, I guess it was true.

• Resolution statement

• Sears Brands Customer Care's Response, Apr 20, 2011

Dear DCC-MLC,

I am truly sorry to hear about the issues you’ve had our repair service. I definitely know that can be frustrating. My name is Misty and I am with Sears Cares. I would like the opportunity to reach out and assist with any concerns. At your convenience, please contact my office via email at smsupport@searshc.com so we can get this resolved for you. In the email, please provide a contact phone number and the phone number that your items were purchased under (if different than the contact phone number) and we will call you directly. Also, in your email, please provide the screen name (DCC-MLC) you used to post on this site, for reference to your issue and we do look forward to talking to you soon.

Misty H.
    Social Media Moderator

• Sears Brands Customer Care's Response, Jul 22, 2011

To Syracusan,

I'm sorry that you have a broken appliance and that you are having issues with your service contract. We value your business and would like to resolve this and any other Sears related issue that you might have. My name is James and I am part of the Social Media Support Escalations team at Sears. At your convenience, please contact our office at smsupport@searshc.com. Please send us an email providing a contact phone number and the phone number the repair is scheduled under (if different than the contact phone number) and we will call you directly. Also, in your email please provide the screen name (Syracusan) for reference to your issue and we do look forward to talking to you soon.

James H.
    Social Media Moderator

• Sears Brands Customer Care's Response, Jul 31, 2013

Dear Ms.Mary Lou Lozier, we thank you for taking the time to let us know about this situation. We are truly sorry to hear that you have experienced such poor customer service with getting a scheduled repair appointment for your Front loader washer. We'd like to speak to you about your experience. At your convenience, please contact my office via email at smadvisor@searshc.com. In the email, please provide a contact phone number and the phone number the order was purchased under (if different than the contact phone number) and we will call you directly. Also, in your email, please provide the screen name (Mary Lou Lozier) you used to post on this site, for reference to your issue, and we do look forward to talking to you soon.
    Dianne D.
    MySears Community Moderator

Va

Comments

• De
      23rd of Jan, 2008

We too have had several bad extended warranty problems with Sears on 2 digital cameras. Our Daughter's camera had been sent off 2 times and needed a third repair and they said the camera was not in their records even though they repaired it 2 times. (After spending 45 minutes on the phone and having to talk with 3 different people and nothing resolved!)
    Our Son's camera just came back from repair and just found out the screen is not working and our warranty is now up, yes I will call today and see what they say, can only hope they fix this problem.
    Sear use to have a great warranty program, you could just drop off the item needing repaired and they sent the product off and called you when it was ready for pick up. We HAD great service contract on our video camera we purchased many years ago.

• Pi
      25th of Jul, 2008

If you are planning to purchase a Sears Extended Warranty or Protection Agreement, just be aware that there are hidden costs that the salesperson probably won't tell you about. For example, if you have a problem with the item you bought from Sears (with an extended warranty) and bring it in to be repaired, Sears will still charge you $49.95 just to diagnose what the problem is. They claim that if, in their judgement, the problem with your item is covered under the manufacturer's warranty, they will refund you the $49.95. But if the problem is not covered under the warranty, they keep your $49.95 and will of course charge you for the repairs. Of course, it is at the discretion of their technicians to decide whether the problem is covered under the warranty. So if the problem isn't covered under the extended warranty and you decide not to have it repared by Sears, you are still out $49.95 Is this legal?

28th of Jul, 2009

WOHH!! Sears warranty's DO NOT charge a deductible up front just to diagnose a problem. (Manufacturers warranty's do)

Call 1-800-4-MY-HOME to confirm this.

But I will admit, Sears service department has faced some MAJOR budget cuts.. partly because of consumer reports (wrongly) bashing extended warranty's and Sears receiving less revenue and also because a falling economy forces the company to make some cuts. But the overall coverage remains the same and Sears still has the best service contracts... its just a LONGER process now.

• Se
      27th of Sep, 2009

YOU BEAT THE CHAINSAW, YOUR KIDS ABUSED THE CAMERA. YOU EVEN SAID YOU USED THE CHAINSAW FOR SEVERAL YEARS UNTIL A BAD SNOW STORM REQIRED EXTENDED HEAVIER USE AND I SAY ABUSE BECAUSE NOTHING WAS MENTIONED OF EXTENDED HEAVIER MAINTENANCE, SERVICE OR ADJUSTMENTS FOR THE ADDED LOAD OF CUTTING UP TREE LIMBS AFTER ONE BAD SNOW STORM. YOU PROBABLY BOUGHT THE LEAST EXPENSIVE, THEREFORE SMALLEST CHAIN SAW.

13th of Oct, 2009

My boyfriend bought me a necklace that has a dragonfly pendant on it. The tail of the dragonfly has small diamonds. I loved it, however two of the diamonds on the tail fell out. He bought a warranty policy. I've only had the necklace for 11 months. Sears said that because I didnt bring the necklace in after six months for inspection that the warranty is void. Its in the fine print. Who actually does this.

• Pr
      20th of Oct, 2009

I disagree with your statement that Sears has the best service contracts. We have experienced a nightmare trying to get our dishwasher repaired. We have talked to 41 different individuals from Odessa, to Pheonix, to Austin, trying to get it repaired. After calling on Monday (12th), a technician came by and discovered it needed a part. He ordered it and said it would be in Monday and he would be back on Monday to repair it. The part came in Saturday (17th). Sears called us four times to confirm the appointment...each time giving us a different date that they would be there. The technician didn't show (found out Monday was his day off.) We were rescheduled for yesterday (19th). Sears called to confirm the appointment for the 26th. My wife told them that was unacceptable and after many transfers, finally got someone in Austin that said they would be out today (20th) between 8 & 10AM. Guess What...NO SHOW. My wife called and found out we had been rescheduled for the 28th.

WE HAVE FOUND THAT SEARS DOES NOT LISTEN TO YOUR SITUATION...NOR CARES.

They transfer you to one person to another until you get tired of being put on hold and hang up. We had one indivudial hang up on us while we were trying to explain the problem.

THE PROBLEM: the dishwasher leaks. A simple valve (which we have received) will only take 15 minutes to install. The water is turned off at the sink, but the dishwasher keeps filling us. We have to drain it every two to four hours...even through the night. If we leave the house for any longer than that, we come back with the kitchen flooded.

This issues has been going on for 10 days of babysitting the diswasher. It will be another 6 days (if they even show up then) before the issues is resolved.

We have found out one thing: SEARS DOESN"T CARE ABOUT OUR PROBLEM!!!

What we have found out is that Sears uses A&E Technicians for their repair work. We were charged over $400 for the extended warranty. Lowes' sells the same warranty for a little over $100.

WE WILL NEVER BUY AN APPLIANCE FROM SEARS AGAIN!!!

We have only got the run around and individuals lying to us.

MY ADVICE ---- STAY AWAY FROM SEARS' WARRANTIES!!!

• Ti
      6th of Feb, 2010

The best thing I can tell everyone that reads this is after buying alot of appliances and tools along with electronics from Sears over the last 5 years and purchasing their warrenties it is my strong reccomendation to keep driving right past Sears. Do not even think about their warrenties the hassles the service cancellations and rescheduling isn't worth it!

• Ti
      6th of Feb, 2010

If you buy from Sears and they want to sell you a warranty, run fast. Try and get something fixed when their appliances go bad. Don't let them try and tell you that they will replace it if you have 4 repairs in a year. That use to be 3 but they knew they have a bad product line so they bumped it to 4. It takes on average 4-8 weeks to get repairs done to a washer or dryer. First after they cancel a couple of appointments over a 3 week period they come out to diagnois. Now they have to order parts and that is if they get the right parts sent to you. Now they have to come out to make repairs if that is the right part after they tear apart your appliance. See where this is going. After hours of lost work time or on the phone to schedule and after being disconnected no less than twice. How much aggravation is the Sears products worth? I recommend just keep on going to another store.

• St
      9th of Feb, 2010

Looks like the same thing is happening to me with a Sears extended warranty. Last chapter has yet to be written, but our $2500 Kenmore Fridge (LG) issues loud pops and cracks intermittently day and night. 4 service calls so far... no fix yet. Here's the clincher, If no part is actually installed, it is not considered a "service call". For replacement, it has to be a functional failure, which means it doesn't work. Waking us up in the middle of the night with loud pops from the first floor, has nothing to do with functionality.

• Bo
      17th of Feb, 2010

This is Feb 17 2010 in Oct of 09 my Samsung 5o inch plasma tv started go off by its self and then pop back on. The repair man came out and placed an order for parts which arrived on Nov 5 09 and then in it went form there 3000 dollars in labor and parts and now in the middle of Feb we have no Tv and the parts have been back orded so we won't hear from anybody until Mar 2 and that does not mean it will be fixed. Somebody Help
    Bob Gillean Broken Arrow Ok

• Ta
      13th of Jun, 2010

We bought all of our appliances including front load washer and dryer from Sears, a lawn mower and two flat screen tvs. We had had problems with more than half of them and will NEVER buy another thing from Sears. Our lawn mower has been repaired about 8 times and is broken again as we speak. Then finally after two years they agreed with us that is a lemon and will replace it but THEN realized that since we were in the second year of our extended warranty that we can only be refunded 1500 dollars. Their customer service is horrible. They have no-showed on appointments, cancelled service appointments after being scheduled for weeks in the summer when we NEEDED a lawn mower. We have spent hours trying to get this problem resolved but get no where. We have even contacted main headquarters and still had had no luck. Aside from our lawn mower, our washer's mother board went out after one load of laundry and has had to be repaired since then again in which we had to pay for it. Our dishwasher also broke and was repaired. This is all within 14 months of purchasing these appliances. My advice to anyone is to stay away from Sears, I won't step foot in the place ever again!!!

• Pi
      5th of Nov, 2010

Years ago, I purchased a craftsman chain saw and the extended warranty. When it broke, I took it in for repair. They fixed it free but said it looked as though I had not mixed oil with the gasoline. Well I had.

Six months later, I took it in again and they said the repair would cost a few hundred dollars because I had not mixed oil with the gasoline. Since there is no "odometer" on a chainsaw, there is no way to gauge how many hours it has been run. So if you run it enough to score the piston, they make the claim that you didn't mix oil with the gas. Well this time, I had taken pictures of every time I added gas (with oil), so I filed a small claims suit. They settled and returned my "repaired" saw. It lasted only a month. I took it to a lawn mower store and was advised that it couldn't be fixed, so I should junk it.

I had a lot of junk to take to the scrap yard, but I wanted to remove all the plastic, so it could be recycled. So I used a pry bar and a hammer, to knock off all the non-metal parts. When the carburetor broke open, the gas filter screen rolled out. It was completely clogged, so neither Sears, nor my lawnmower shop, Simon's Lawnmowers, ever cleaned the filter.

I probably could have cleaned the filter myself, but by now I had destroyed the saw with my hammer and pry bar.

So I bought a Stihl saw and go to a different repair place and I have never had any problems.

Sears needs to have a major class action suit filed against them for all of their shady warranty practices.

• Ca
      11th of Jan, 2011

I had a very negative experience with a Sears appliance that needed to be repaired. It was an incredibly frustrating experience from the repair department to customer service. I have joined a class action against Sears and their corrupt practices. If you are interested in joining, email me at cab5053@yahoo.com. Something needs to be done about Sears' outrageous conduct and we should be compensated for the money we have lost and all they have put us through!

• Fr
      5th of Feb, 2011

I purchased a hot water heater in December of 2008 and purchased the extended warrantee at the same time. The heater stopped working in January 2011. After calling Sears 4 - 5 times and having them calling me back to reschedule I hired a plumber who fixed the problem in ten minutes. This is not the same Company that I remember 50 years ago. A word to the wise not only ignore tha extended warranty but purchase whatever you need from someone else. We are blessed to live in a country where we have many options!! I refuse to go without hot water for a week!!!

• Ro
      24th of Feb, 2011

I bought a Sears Lawn Mower and it was supposed to have a warranty. Well, the wheels broke and I sent it off for repair. The repair office reported that the wheels were covered under warranty, but we needed a new spark plug, blade, and other items. They told me they would not do the warranty work unless I agreed to get the other items fixed at a cost. Well, I just put a new plug in it, and the blade was from the season as well. I ended up telling them to return the mower to me. I filed a BBB complaint and even wrote their office. My escalation went all the way to the corporate office, and they acted like this was all my problem and refused to fix the mower. I WILL NEVER BUY ANOTHER SEARS PRODUCT AGAIN!! Now I'm stuck with this piece of trash sitting next to my shed. I bought a new lawnmower at Lowes, and I haven't had a signle issue with it.

• Km
      9th of Mar, 2011

I bought the top of line riding mower and purchased an extended warranty at that time. I have had service done several times but last summer I called for the service because the mower was cutting on one side and the other was leaving quite a bit of the grass making it necessary to mow the same area twice or more. The repairman came out and tried to fix it but when my grass grew out I found that the problem was not fixed. This happened a second time and then on the third time I had him come out He tried adjusting the blades, put on another part and when I mowed a little with it the machine still left a streak of grass. He made the comment that he could do no more for me and left. I have "stewed" about this for several months and waited to write you now so I am settled enough not to use harsh words. I feel that sears woes me a replacement deck or a refund of the warranty price or something else but I do not believe you should ignore me completely. I am 76 and a cancer victim. I have used Craftsman tools most all my adult life due to the warranty on them. I believe that I have given sears great word of mouth advertising through the years but that Is likely to change if I cannot recieve some kind of satisfaction. Please reply

• Dc
      20th of Apr, 2011

I came across this while looking for a phone number to call regarding my push mower. I dropped it off for the extended warrantee repair. They called and said the cylinder was "scored" and it was not covered as "we should know enough to keep the proper amount of oil in the engine." My kids use this once a week to cut my office lawn. I am with them each week. The first thing they do is check the oil and gas. We have a Toro walk behind and a Toro push mower (which we bought when this one siezed up). They do the same routine with maintainence every week, along with a Spring tune up. We have all Sears appliances in our house. We replaced our washer and dryer with the new HE ones from Sears. Now, the clothes don't dry right and the washer shakes all over. They have been out several times to "fix" them to no avail. I grew up with my parents' using Sears all my life and I have as well. NEVER AGAIN!

• Sy
      19th of Jul, 2011

Albeit belatedly, like the others who have written before, I too have discovered the "Master Protection Agreement" is not worth the paper it's written on, nor the $159 you pay for it. After being given the run around for the past two weeks regarding a covered repair, I am now being told it will cost me $277. The attitude of the representatives clearly show this is systemic--hardly isolated or an aberration. The reasons they offer change with each representative I've spoken to. Here's my advice, BEFORE you purchase an extended warranty, just to see for yourself, contact the Sears reps at 1-800-4-MY-HOME, tell them you wish to avail yourselve of the MPA, then see what happens. For my part, I have no intentions of letting this go. Sears should be held accountable. I'll see them in Small Claims Court, if for noe other purpose than to establish a record. In addition, I intend to file a complaint with the State Attorney General's Office, so they can track such complaints, as well as the Better Business Bureau. Yes, this is all worth the $159 I paid, and the feeling of being railroaded.

• Ki
      2nd of Aug, 2011

I am currnetly 67 minutes into my phone call with Sears about our "free of charge" warranty that is going to cost us $129 to start. This is the 4th transfer I have been put on hold for...I will NEVER, EVER AGAIN, purchase something from Sears. This has been the most frustrating, difficult customer service experience I have EVER dealt with. I have gotten put off, transferred, told 3 different warranty expiration dates by all three people. I'm sorry I didn't realize that "free of charge" actually meant, costs me money! Apparently my college degree is totally worthless, I guess I can't even read!

• Al
      23rd of Aug, 2011

$1300.00 Kenmore Elite gas grill bought in 2007. I called about the main burners (tubes) splitting out and there is one huge flame, not individual flames at what use to be individual flames ( out each little hole on burner tube) I explained they were lifetime warrantied since they were made of Stainless Steel. They told me I had to pay Sear Service over $100.00 to come out and verify they were bad before they would replace them. I explained that the cost of the replacement parts were around $22.00 each and there were 5 of them. I said the warranty didn't make since that it was obvious the tubes were defective and it was crazy that I had to pay $100.00 for inspection when the parts would only cost me $110.00. SEARS IS A RIP OFF! I have a house full of SEARS PRODUCTS and I will never BUY FROM SEARS again! A friend bought a Ducane grill, paid about $500.00 for it. Since he has owned it, anytime there has been a problem, he calls the manufacturer and they have taken care of him. They have been polite and curtious, unlike the evil people that represent SEARS. Since when did you have to pay a company to recieve warranty on a product they sell?