[Resolved] Sears / electronic return

Manassas, VA, US Review updated:

I purchased a Samsung LED TV from Sears online ($600) and picked it up within a few hours from a local store. Unfortunately, I found out after bringing it back home that it did not fit into the space I wanted to use. I tried to return it next day (in all original package/boxes), but I was told by the store manager that since the box has been opened, they need to charge 15% ($90) restocking fee. They told me that once the box is opened, it is considered used. Their return policy does not clearly state that and I think it is very misleading. I want everyone who is planning to shop at Sears during this holiday season to be aware of this misleading return policy. I don't want anyone else to make a mistake like I did and end up having a TV does not fit into a room. I won't be doing any type of business with Sears anymore. So, if you want to do worry free electronic purchase, go somewhere else.
Very Disappointed with Sears

• Resolution statement

• Kenmore Customer Care's Response, Dec 01, 2012

KWC,
    Please accept our sincerest apologies for the troubles you have experienced with your television. I can understand how discouraging it is to purchase a television and find out the TV will not fit in the space where you needed it. We would like to connect you with a dedicated case manager and discuss your experience. . At your convenience, please contact our office via email at [protected]@searshc.com so you don’t have to be upset by this any longer. In the email, please provide a contact number and the phone number the repair was scheduled under (if different than the contact phone number) and we will call you directly. In addition, please include your Screen name (KWC) in the email for reference to your issue. Again, we’re sorry for any trouble we have caused and we hope to talk to you soon.
    Liz R
    Social Media Moderator
    Social Media Support

Kw

Comments

• Co
      Nov 29, 2012

From sears web site

Restocking Fee, Special Order Cancellation Fee (Not applicable in Hawaii)
    A 15% restocking fee is charged on Consumer Electronics returned without the original box, used, or without all of the original product packaging, accessories and parts; Mattresses, built in Home Appliances, and special orders on Hardware, Sporting Goods, Lawn & Garden, and Automotive merchandise. Consumer Electronics returned in opened boxes may be, but need not be, determined to have been used. Special orders cancelled later than 24 hours after purchase are subject to a 15% order cancellation

• He
      Nov 30, 2012

Maybe you should warn people that before they buy a tv they should measure the space...

Dec 01, 2012

I know I am a stupid consumer for not knowing Sears's return/exchange policy. I clearly understand it now, Sears return/exchange policy is "once you open you box, you can not return or exchange TV/electronics without a 15% restocking fee". I was trying to upgrade to more expensive TV unit rather than just returning the unit. I also know now that I should never shop at Sears for next 40-50 years of my life. I really wanted Sears to come back and help a stupid person like me not to loose $90. This was our first TV purchase in more than 10 years and my family was really looking forward to it. I also wanted an American icon company like Sears to be successful (I know you don't need to tell me, even without my business, I am sure they will do well.. but also it would cost more than $90 (in advertisement and other marketing efforts) to bring one customer to their shop and make them a loyal customer for next 40-50 years). Oh well, I learned my lesson... time to move on

• He
      Dec 01, 2012

So you wanted them to bend the rules for you? What makes you special?

Dec 01, 2012

Not special...I have spoken with many people (including Sear's associates) that when you are exchanging an item to upgraded item, many cases they have waived a restocking fee at Sears, but that requires manager's approval (I assume a GM of store needs to approve it). So it seems like they are already doing it at each store level with Manager's discretion for an exchange and not for a return/refund. I just dont know why they did not do for my case. I have asked for an exchange with more expensive unit. So the policy is one thing, but depending it on a situation, at manager's discretion, Sears had exchanged many TVs without a restocking fee even though the unit was not defective. Like anything else, looks like Sears had given an authority to make individual store level call on this. I assume depending on store's performance like sales level, discount rate, return rate etc., going to consideration when a manager makes these decision.

Dec 01, 2012

Thank you Liz R. I am really surprised and happy to learn that Sears really care (SearsCare) about a stupid customer like me.