Sears / sears scam on appliances

2375 E 1st Ave
Failing Sears Cherry Creek North store trying anything to stay open in this recession including selling fraudulent goods then charging you more-

My husband and I are recent newlyweds (11/22/08) and just bought our very first home. We are in the process of upgrading our appliances. We decided to start with our gas cooktop since the one we currently have is not working properly. I can’t wait to cook our first meal. On 3/21/09 we went into the Sears Cherry Creek North Store (2375 E 1st Ave Denver, CO 80206) and found a GE Profile Appliance 36 in. Built-In Gas Cooktop on sale. The cooktop was on sale because we were told it was a display model with a few blemishes and missing knob. We paid ~$650 plus tax and installation. On Wednesday March 25th, my husband Justin took 4 hours off of work to meet the installer. After an hour trying to figure out the pieces, the installer discovered there were a few pieces missing and could not perform the install as-is. The installer, my husband, and I spent over two hours trying to get in touch with someone at the store only to get a machine. Finally my husband got through. Sears stated they had mistakenly sold us a ‘dummy’ display model that was never designed to operate and would never work. For our inconvenience we could return the item for a full refund and go buy another unit elsewhere or pay an additional $500 for a cooktop that works. This is the equivalent of selling a car with no engine and the dealership stating you could pay extra to get an engine so you could drive it. Anyway, the sales associate said we were welcome to come in and speak with the store manager, Mike. We were not given a last name.

On March 28, 2009 we went to the Sears Cherry Creek North and asked for Mike at 10:30 am when we were told he would be there. This was the first day he was available. At 11:30 am, store employees were finally able to find their store manager. When Mike arrived he was belligerent, rude, and unrepentant. In fact, Mike actually laughed at the mistake and never once apologized. Mike stated $500 was a fair price for a working unit since this one was not a display item. Additionally, he stated we were getting a real bargain since we were only being asked to pay $500 more ($650 + 500 = $1150) when the actual retail price is over $2200. However, on their very own website, the actual retail price is $1376.11 http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_[protected]P?mv=rr#optsSvcs. We could in fact go anywhere else and pay $500 more for a working cooktop. We feel this is unfair and unjust. When we stated this to Mike he left to call his district manager in secret. He said the District Manager agreed with him. We asked if we could also speak with the District Manager and were told he would call us. Over 48 hours has passed since we were told we would be contacted. In the meantime, the ‘dummy’ cooktop is in the trunk of my car while we are left with no means to cook and have been spending money to eat out and research this cause.

Regardless of the cost, we should not have to pay one penny more to receive a working cooktop. Sears is not honoring the buyer’s warranty nor are they honoring customer service. Sears Cherry Creek North sold us an appliance under the pretense it was never used and nothing was wrong with it aside from cosmetic blemishes. Now they expect us to pay $500 more to make it work or refund our money at a total loss of all the unpaid work and personal time, energy, and undue stress.

N  30th of Aug, 2009 by
Agree Disagree -1 Votes
Sounds like you just got a bad sales associate, stupid employees is not just a Sears issue.
A  16th of Sep, 2009 by

It was not the sales associate. The sales associated wanted to exchange the item with me like I requested. The store manager and the 50 other people at Sear headquarters are the ones who would not allow it. This is not a one bad egg example. This is a true representation of Sears lack of caring and customer service. I do feel bad for the low level employees, but I am happy that this company is about to go bankrupt. You get what you give and Sears gives NOTHING!!

People, do not ever shop there. You have been warned. Fail is just a Sears employee and that name is exactly where Sears is headed. So Fail, what is your postition with the company? I see the other 12 comments you made defending Sears. What a sham!!

Sears Brands Logo Sears Brands