Sears / being cheated and taken complete advantage of!

To Whom It May Concern:

I’m writing this letter in frustration and in hopes of showing the public how some Big Companies treat an average person who wants to just live a normal happy healthy life and to pay his debts. I’m talking about Sears who in recent times started a PR campaign with sponsoring along with others the new hit show Home Makeover. It is wonderful how this program is helping a few people a year. But what about a very loyal customer of Sears for over 33 years wouldn’t you think they would go out of their way to be good to that kind of customer? I am appalled at how I’ve been treated and I feel I’ve been cheated and it seems there is nothing I can do about it, no recourse at all so that is the reason for this letter. Thirteen years ago I married and of course I put my wife on my Sears account. A few years of over spending caused us the inevitable we were in too deep on a few credit cards Sears being one of them. We went to one of those TV advertised programs for helping people get out of debt. We decided on Profina a company we saw advertised that really looked like they could help. The promotion was that they could get the companies involved with you to lower their interest rates and work with you and in 5 years you would be free of the debt. It went well for a while and then Sears started asking for more money and we responded with a positive and gave more. I noticed that they never dropped their interest rate at all. I called Sears and asked them why and they told me that technically they did not have too. I let that go and then they asked again for more money which we allowed. Then I saw that interest not only did not go down but it had gone up and they threatened to cancel Profina if they didn’t get more money. They called us and left a few messages on our phone so I talked with them again. They wanted more money and I allowed it to keep them on the program. I asked them if they would drop their interest rate at this time and they said no. I asked if this is how they treat all their long time customers and the response was “I don’t make the policies Sir”. And by the way they were not very friendly at all in any of the conversations they make you feel awful. We went for a while now without further problems until I noticed a statement from Sears (my wife had been handling the finances and I had not seen the statements which was a mistake). But to my disbelief we had been paying them $143 a month and the interest rate charges alone were $145 so our balance had been going up never down. At this point I was very angry and I called them and asked what was going on and got the disinterested response of “I don’t know maybe you should pay more”. I was angry at this response and I told Sears that if this is how they treated a customer of over 31 years at the time I would never set foot in a Sears store again. Again the response “I don’t make the policies Sir”. After getting off the phone and calming down a little I called Profina and stopped further payments of any kind to Sears. It didn’t take Sears long to start the calls sometimes 7 or 8 times a day. I talked with them a number of times and felt I was treated very unprofessionally and told them so. When I tried to explain why I had stopped payment they told me they would keep adding up charges of late fees and interest. I finally called and talked with a manager and told her I would begin payments only in the event they would drop all interest fees and late charges and I would again start to pay them. When I said drop all interest I made it clear that the rest of about $3,000 would be interest free until paid off. I was told they would do that so I told them I would start paying them on a certain day of each month but before we finally settled the manager said “Now you know that interest will again begin in 3 months”. I couldn’t believe my ears and I told her no that was unacceptable and I said good bye and hung up the phone. After that I would not answer my phone again and let them leave messages and they kept calling and calling and calling. In time they wrote off the debt and on my credit report it said written off. But later I found out they had sold the account to another collector who hounding me to no end. So Sears had written off the debt and collected on their taxes as a loss and then sold it to another collector for so much per dollar so Sears collected again. I refused to deal with the new collector telling them the debt had been written off and that Sears no longer could claim any harm. So they sold it again to another collector then another and another and for a few years now I have been hounded by them all. I felt so angry I was going to ignore them no matter what but now they have sent it to a lawyer (society’s downfall members) and he is going to take me to court. His name is Bryan Cannon and is located in Sandy Utah. The bill is now at almost $11,000 and it will climb a couple more thousand for his costs. So I would like the public who have been hurt by these credit card companies (especially Sears) to give me a call and let us set up some time to do a peaceful demonstration at the Sears in Riverdale. We can use picket signs and have brochures available to let Sears know what kind of business they really are. I’m going to send this over a lot of the country so I ask them to call me too and we can organize a demonstration in their region as well. My name is Cory Fausett and my phone number is [protected]. Please help one man make a difference by standing up to this problem of mistreatment. I was willing to take care of my part of the debt but Sears choose to cheat me and be greedy. What else is there to do please help me make a stand and I will demonstrate it to Sears and other credit card companies as their ethics stink. They do what they will with interest rates but give out cards like candy even to our youth. How many ads do you get in the mail for signing up each month? How many do your teenagers? Let’s take a stand please and not let them have that control any longer. I will send this to Sears as well and many other Letters to the Editor across the country. Oh and by the way all the companies that stayed with us on Profina have been paid off now so if Sears would have just been less greedy and less willing to stab a long time customer in the back they would have been paid but it seems they made more by doing what they did anyway maybe that is why they did it. What do you think? Why should Sears get compensated through a written off bad debt through taxes and the sell of my account to another agency? Who will also collect on it? I am more than willing to pay the $3000 but I will fight as much as I can any other amount but I will lose because we the people have NO SAY at all in being cheated and taken complete advantage of.

Thanks for listening to an angry former loyal Sears shopper,

Cory Fausett.

Comments

24th of Feb, 2007

CitiBank owns Sears credit, not Sears. Maybe you should have paid your bills instead of trashing your credit history.

8th of Dec, 2007

Thanks MS. Cory Fausett, I'm not going to buy anything from Sears anymore.

8th of Dec, 2007

Thanks Ms. Coru Fausett, I'm not going to buy anything from now then.

• Mi
      25th of May, 2008

well i feel for you check this out

please pass along http://mikesretailcomplaints.blogspot.com/2008/05/sears-graco-strollers-customer-service.html its a safety issue

this is my issue

• Es
      23rd of Oct, 2008

You are so right about Sears. I have watched them take advantage of my 73 year old mother. They always call her wanting more money or their raising her payments so high, she can't possible make them (fixed income) she goes into a panic attack and has had to be taken to the er several times. they are so rude it's hard to believe a company as large as they are alow this kind of verbal abuse. I hope they are the first company to fail when the economy gets worse. They deserve it!

• Ki
      13th of Nov, 2008

Sears/Citi does not condone poor or rude treatment of any of its customers regardless of their current standing. If you are recieving this sort of treatment, then ask for a manager. My question to you is...what is it that you want? In reading your comments, it is difficult to tell. Most credit card employees have little or no control on what they can charge customers in interest...it is the policy, and while your treatment was not acceptable, have you considered thinking through things and writing them down before you call? Sometimes this helps in situations where you can become a bit emotional.

• De
      24th of Mar, 2009

I don't really feel that bad for you. I'm guessing Sears doesn't want a customer who refuses to pay for what they bought. You cannot blame this on your wife, you had access to your account information at all times. The Sears card is a variable rate card. Sears did nothing wrong in this situation, and even tried to work with you to repay the debts by forgiving extensive interest and giving you 90 days no interest. Maybe you should spend less time writing complaints and more time working toward paying off your debt.

5th of May, 2010

I called you be I have been going though something similar with Sears for the past 4 years and I didn't even know there was a dept that I owed them until a year later. They have never sent a bill or anything to my home, and when I called them they told me that they have nothing to say to me. I am now in the process of purchasing my mother a home and I will be unable to do so with this dept and I am running in circles trying to get this off of my credit. It is on my credit like 3 times because of the creditors that have bought the balance. I have been trying to tell them that my identity was stolen during the time that this account was made, ( I don't shop at Sears and now I NEVER will), and they didn't care not even a little. What am I to do?

• Re
      3rd of Sep, 2010

Grow up, don't purchase things you can't afford. Take responsibility for your debt. The terms are in the agreement you get when you accept the card. If you can't accept the responsibilities that come with being an adult and the card, don't get the card. They have the right to charge you whatever late fees and interest they want when you don't make your payments. From what you said they were willing to give you the late fees back and also waive all your interest for 3 months. You're a baby, when a company writes it off as uncollectable they take it as a loss to that company. They sell it at a reduced rate to a collection company, so they can recoup some of the costs they lost from deadbeats like you who won't pay their bills. Even though everything they can do to your credit card is right there in the disclosures they give you at time of application, you claim you didn't know. You had access at any time to the account, the card is YOUR responsibility. Nobody else's.