Sears / fraud and scam

Had repair for fridge set for 9/22/08 in the AM. Sears confirmed the night before. They no showed me and then lied that the tech said he came to the house. Their call center was a joke and was helpless and no supervisor would help. I had to go to their store and blow a gasket. They gave me no choice but to reschedule with no explanation or apology.

On my knees praying that they will actually show up tomorrow. I will never... never shop at Sears ever again!!! How they still stay in business is a complete mystery to me!

Va

Comments

• Ha
      7th of Jul, 2008

Do not buy from Sears as in their washers and dryers (Kenmore) as they suck, $4000.00 in these units turn your white clothing into chocolaty clothing with like coffee looking stains all over them as it is from the themselves and they ruined about $5000.00 in Abercrombie clothing and they refuse to do anything about it, as we have lawyer on this case now, Think about it, they are K-mart now (as in blue light special)...

• Kw
      7th of Jul, 2008

I FULLY AGREE WITH YOU THAT SEARS WASHER/DRYERS FULLY SUCK. I WOULD NEVER BUY THEM AGAIN EITHER AS MY UNITS DID THE SAME EXACT THING. THEY ARE A REALLY ###ED UP COMPANY TO DEAL WITH NOW.

SEARS SUCKS DO NOT BUY FROM THEM!!!

10th of Jul, 2008

My son purchase a television and maintenance agreement from Sears. Why Sears? Because the salesclerk told him that if he was hesitant in making the purchase, no problem, he could return it in 30 days for a refund. Signs are everywhere about satisfaction guaranteed. There are signs nowhere about restocking fees. The salesclerk said nothing about restocking fees. So, my son purchase the television and maintenance agreement.

He tried for two days to hook up the television, bought new cables, television stand and etc. but was not satisfied with the quality of the picture. He put everything back in the original box and returned to Sears, as the salesclerk had assured him he could. They hooked up the television and everything was in good working order at Sears.

That is when he was told of the restocking fee, printed on the back of his receipt. He asked to speak to the manager and explain to him about the clerk and he was not aware at the time of purchase of the restocking fees. The manager, who was extremely rude, would not listen to any logic. Since my son was originally purchasing it on a new credit card application, he didn't even have a credit card in hand and the manager told the clerk to take the t.v. off the card and add the restocking fee of approximately $450.00 to the card. Yes, $450 dollar restocking fee!!!

Not only is he receiving a bill for the restocking fee but also the $500 maintenance agreement on the t.v. he doesn't own remains on the card. Yes, he contacted them to take it off but nothing.

My point is... if signs are everywhere about satisfaction guaranteed or your money back and the sales people tell you to return an item but don't inform you of the restocking fee... is that fair? If signs were posted about the restocking fee, my son would never have purchased the television. I feel like it is false advertising and I would never purchase anything from Sears again. Printing it on the back of the receipt, which prints out after you made the purchase, is nothing short of a scam.

I'm seriously considering printing up fliers to distribute to customers as they enter the mall... sort of a consumer alert to the restocking fee. Maybe a little news reporting would get their attention.

18th of Sep, 2008

It was the summer of 1996, and my car's brakes needed to be replaced and my husband needed new tires on his pickup. So, we went to Sears Automotive. My husband chose off-road tires for his pickup, but when the tire replacement was done, they were the cheap tires. We pointed this out, and after trying to convince several auto techs and the manager for about an hour, they changed the tires to what we ordered and had purchased.

We also paid for the brake job, but when we drove out of the parking lot and stopped at the first stop sign, the brakes sounded worse than before. Drove right back to the automotive department, where they said, oh, we just replaced the brakes on the rear drums. So, why did the brakes sound worse? They gave us the rear brake job for free and proceeded to do the front discs. Okay, we drove out and the brakes made a horrible worble sound. This is not good. Drove the car back. They said that they did not sand down the rotor evenly, so after waiting to get in a week later, they took it back to fix it. I drove it out, thinking the brakes were fixed. Not so, the brake response was worse and within a week, the worble sound was worse than previously. We called Sears Automotive and wanted them to make it right by replacing the rotors that they sanded down too far. They said they couldn't do it. We drove there and let them drive it around the parking lot with us to hear and feel the horrible brake job. They admitted it was bad, but were unwilling to give us new rotors. Mind you, this is now about a month after the first brake job, and the charge was on my Sears card. I wrote to the Sears credit card company to tell them that I was not going to pay for the brake job until it was resolved, and paid off the rest of the card except the charge for the brakes. I also wrote several letters to the local Sears and the national company, as well, with no further response. I continued to speak with the manager at the Sears Automotive, who delayed responses on resolving the issue.

Then, I got a nasty gram from the Sears credit people because I had not paid that portion of my card. I waited another week, and after the automotive manager gave me a wishy-washy response to resolving the bad brake job, I decided to pay my stupid Sears card off and cancel it, and along with my check, I wrote a nice nasty gram back to them to let them know that I would no longer shop at Sears, and I would let everyone know of my experiences with their incompetent staff. (That I continue to do to this day...)

The very next weekend, I took my car to Brakes Plus where they treated my very nicely and gave me a new brake job with new rotors. After spending $350, I finally had a safe car to drive, no thanks to Sears Automotive.

For the next eight years, I saw that credit ding from Sears on my credit report. Even though I had a note referencing the issue, it still put a negative mark on my credit, and cost me more with higher mortgage rates. This summer we purchased a new mini-van, and for the first time that Sears ding was no longer on my now excellent credit report, thus continuing to remind me how I really hate Sears.

29th of Sep, 2008

The Sears in Visalia, Ca. is a rathole. Floor tiles are chipped, shelves inadvertently fall off the wall, and both restrooms are a filthy mess due to the local Latino population dropping soiled toilet paper on the floor rather than flushing it down the toilet like a civilized human being. My wife said the women leave filthy diapers on the changing table as if it's someone else's job to clean them up. No effort is made by Sears employees to make these animals clean up after themselves.

This is a store that is always out of everything, so I ordered a tool chest that did not arrive when promised, and when I complained I was directed to the store's assistant manager, a stuck-up witch named Margie Martinez. She seemed upset that I had the gall to take up a few minutes of her time, and told me in a snooty voice that the best they could do was to refund my money. This bruja is living proof of the old adage that while beauty may be only skin deep, ugly is to the bone.

I liked shopping at Sears before I moved to Visalia; this store needs a makeover starting with their dangerous floors and rickety displays, and the assistant manager is in dire need of a personality transplant. I'll drive 45 miles to the Fresno Sears before I set foot in that Visalia hellhole again.

• Kp
      29th of Sep, 2008

that sucks

• Ih
      3rd of Oct, 2008

You are owed your money back. You need to go back to the store you purchased it from and let them know that it wasn't refunded. If that doesn't work ask for ther district managers phone number. You did not have or use the protection agreement there fore you are entitled to a full refund of it. Especially for the short time of having it. All you need is your receipt. Also know that if they say they dont have it when you purchased they collected your information on the computer inorder to sell the protection agreement. Your information is in their system. Your credit card company if you use was should also have a policy to protect you on that charge call them it is their responsibility to also ensure you are not scammed.

14th of Nov, 2008

Prior to hurricane IKE our new led TV went out. A call was made to the service department and they were told about the TV and that due to Ike we would not be able to come in but as soon as it passed we would be there. The next 8 days we were without power and phones and most of the roads in our area were blocked with trees and down power lined.

As soon as we got phones we made the call to the same service department and they refused to repair the TV because we were a day out of warranty. A complaint was filed with Sears customer service and we received a call the TV would be repaired. It was taken in and an additional $40.00 fee was charged for shipping. We were called a few weeks later that the TV was evaluated and it would cost us an additional $400.00 to make repairs.

Back to the customer service in which they replied with our set was out of warranty and there fore not covered.

Another email went out and it would be covered. The phone rang and it was Sears on the line that our TV had been repaired and we needed to pick it up. A 40 mile trip to the store and only to find that they had lied and it was not fixed. I am through with Sears forever. There are plenty of other reputable stores out there needing customers that will honor there policy's

• Te
      10th of Jun, 2009

Had same problems with my Oasis Canyon washer/ dryer set bought in 7/06. Bought extended warrenty but with sear's 3rd party repair, it takes 4-6 weeks to finally fix the thing. Four appointments over 6 weeks to diagnose the problem, order the wrong part, order the right part, and install the new control board on the washer. Four full days out of our lives waiting for the repairman to show between 8-5. The control board went out in our dryer a year later. Same situation. My parents and I grew up with sears over the past 55 years knowing they were good products at good values. NO LONGER!!! I lost my respect for sears and its products. They no longer care for the customer; only making a buck. Their products are poor to fair and their 3 rd party extended warrenty is a joke. I will pay a little more for a product at a local owner owned store with repair; knowing I can talk to a human being if problems occur, and get the unit repaired in a reasonable time.

DON"T BUY FROM SEARS!!!

11th of Nov, 2009

i believe sears auto shop is the biggest fraud and scam i went there two years ago also for tires they came back to me in the waiting room and see i need to have a rotate replace and
    right away so that cost 400.00 and it was worst and i want back they said it was the brakes so i got new brakes on top of that i waited for 3 hours and they never came back in to tell me so i waited another 2 hours and that cost me 250.00 so i want back cause the brakes didn't seem right they said i need two rear tires so i got that .i am a single female i can not afford all this my brakes to this day sounds awful i i went get my oil charge i went somewhere different he said i need brakes HOW CAN THAT BE i told him sears did them i said sears is a scam and someone else told me that too

• Ia
      19th of Apr, 2012

Amen! I ran into the same scenario with their customer service. I too will never do business with them again